Platinum #3776 Century Chartres Blue, Ef Nib

vibin247

Here's my review of the Platinum #3776 Century Chartres Blue (which is my first pen review...finally clap1.gif). I've had the pen for almost a week, just to get used to the nib and pen body. I ordered it from the wonderful folks at GouletPens.com, and it arrived promptly within 3 days (from Virginia to California, no less!). The nib is an extra-fine, and I chose it because I wanted a daily writer and noticed that my handwriting has become a bit smaller so some of the letters, mostly the vowels, would be harder to read if I had chosen a wider nib. However, things change, but a finer nib than what I'm used to with Western nibs is what I fancy at the moment. So without further ado...here we go!

1. Presentation

The box is quite simple and plainly shows the Platinum Co. name. The case for the pen, however, is more elegant and has the trimmings set for a fine pen such as the #3776 Century Chartres Blue. Opening the case reveals the extras that show that this pen is part of the 1st 2000 units produced, which include the funny little stamp that reads "Written Using Platinum Pigment Ink", and commemorative blotter card. It's very nice, but not too important as I'm looking for a nice daily writer. Having #59 is fun, though! laugh.gif

post-4238-0-85297200-1360537309.jpg

post-4238-0-46909000-1360537311.jpg

post-4238-0-05803000-1360537313.jpg

2. Fit & Finish

The pen is quite a sight to behold. The deep blue translucency of the body and cap is quite beautiful, as well as the gold trim. It feels a bit small, similar to my Pelikan M605, but still great in my hand when holding the pen in my normal writing position. With the Platinum converter installed, there is added weight which gives a nice balance and doesn't feel heavy at either end. Even with the cap posted, the balance is quite nice. Overall, the size is great for small hands, but it would seem necessary for larger hands to post the pen, depending on how far away you grip from the nib.

post-4238-0-74748900-1360537314.jpg

post-4238-0-56967100-1360537315.jpg

Here's my current collection of pens and comparative sizes (from left to right): MB 146, Platinum #3776 Century Chartres Blue, Pelikan M605 Dark Blue, Lamy Safari Charcoal, Parker 45 Black

post-4238-0-62633000-1360537317.jpg

3. The writing experience

I would have to say that the Platinum EF nib puts down the finest line I've ever experienced. What I mean is that since I'm not used to Japanese nibs, this EF nib definitely puts down a thinner line than a Western EF, which is what I'm looking for at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I love my Pelikan, MB, Lamy and Parker pens, but the craftsmanship of the Platinum nib is enjoyably unique in its' own right. The nib is smooth on my Rhodia and Clairefontaine paper, and fine on rougher papers, but with feedback that is great for control. The nib out of the box wrote dry for my taste, so I had to open up the tines a little bit for a wetter flow. The nib and feed are friction fit, and it was easy to gently pull out and do my tweaking without having to worry about damaging the parts involved. Putting it all back together was a breeze, making sure the notch on bottom of the nib corresponded with its' mate on the feed. There was no need for tine alinement, so after filling up the pen with ink, and writing a few lines, it was wonderfully smooth. I do have to note that the Platinum converter is quite nice to use, since it feels more sturdy and looks more elegant. The twist knob was a bit stiff out of the box, but a little silicone grease remedied that quickly.

post-4238-0-50533100-1360537318.jpg

4. Conclusion

I'm very satisfied with this pen, and will see how it performs in the long run as a daily writer. As far as value, I think it's a wonderful value for a pen with a gold nib in this price range. If I had bigger hands, I would go for something like the Platinum President, but I think the #3776 Century is still pleasant to hold, especially since the balance is still there when the cap is posted. Because this pen performs so well, I'm definitely looking at getting a wider nibbed #3776 Century, perhaps a medium nib, as well as a Nakaya, which obviously has a great cult following. I'm glad I purchased this pen, and I definitely won't part with it!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WaskiSquirrel

• vibin247

• liapuyat

• Aquaria

Thanks for the nice review, I was wondering when a review of this pen would pop up. I got mine back when they first came out in early December. On the strength of the Bourgogne version I ordered it sight unseen. Mine has a broad nib and is a good writer. Indeed, it does like pigment ink, Sailor's anyway, but the instructions are just promotion. The color is pretty but leans more purple than blue. I should post some comparison pictures.... Anyway, enjoy!

Congratulations on the review. I have number 225 and I love it. Well done for capturing the colour in the photos, hard to catch that deep translucent blue.

Incidentally, you think the EF is fine, you should try the Ultra Extra Fine. Beautiful!

Nice read. I got mine in a different color (the Shoji, and #141 if anyone is interested). I'm a bit curious if the different colors are made differently or if I got a defective pen. Everyone (including the OP) raves about this pen. It has manufacturing details still visible (injection, mold lines), but my real objection is that I have to hold it just so when I write.

I'm glad you like it. I've really liked the looks of this pen in all of its incarnations.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

GREAT photography and handwriting! This is a really cool pen! I'm waiting to get a Shoji with a SF nib soon.

Edited by nicholasyeo

Nice read. I got mine in a different color (the Shoji, and #141 if anyone is interested). I'm a bit curious if the different colors are made differently or if I got a defective pen. Everyone (including the OP) raves about this pen. It has manufacturing details still visible (injection, mold lines), but my real objection is that I have to hold it just so when I write.

I'm glad you like it. I've really liked the looks of this pen in all of its incarnations.

Do you hold your pen at an unusual angle? Sounds like the nib in your pen may have a small "sweet spot". I have no experience with this brand, so can't comment directly. Where did you get your pen from? Do they have a resident nib meister that could sort it out for you?

Dan (former ND resident)

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Can you get any line variation? There was a review of the 3776 steel nib a while back which indicated that the Platinum steel nib had a good deal of line variation. Maybe the gold is even better.

Do you hold your pen at an unusual angle? Sounds like the nib in your pen may have a small "sweet spot". I have no experience with this brand, so can't comment directly. Where did you get your pen from? Do they have a resident nib meister that could sort it out for you?

Dan (former ND resident)

I bought mine through Amazon, so they probably don't have a nib meister. I don't think I have an unusual angle because this issue doesn't come up with my other pens. You might be right about the small "sweet spot."

I'm an import to North Dakota (from Pennylvania 13 years ago).

Can you get any line variation?

I don't know if this was addressed to me, but I do get some line variation. It's not a proper flex pen, but it's decent.

Dan (former ND resident)

I bought mine through Amazon, so they probably don't have a nib meister. I don't think I have an unusual angle because this issue doesn't come up with my other pens. You might be right about the small "sweet spot."

I'm an import to North Dakota (from Pennylvania 13 years ago).

Can you get any line variation?

I don't know if this was addressed to me, but I do get some line variation. It's not a proper flex pen, but it's decent.

In regards to line variation, the nib is springy, but it produces a consistent line with the EF nib (I can't say for the other nib sizes). If you get a nibmeister to modify it to your specifications, because it is a soft 14K nib, then yes, it is possible to get flexibility. It would take some more time to see if indeed this nib will produce some line variation as it becomes more forgiving, but out of the box, it's pretty consistent.

Here's my review of the Platinum #3776 Century Chartres Blue (which is my first pen review...finally

following. I'm glad I purchased this pen, and I definitely won't part with it!

I just received my Bourgogne 3776 yesterday. The color is gorgeous, the M nib is very smooth. I'm completely sold on these pens. :cloud9: I have small hands and the size and weight unposted suits me well. The photos Brian Goulet made of this pen lying on backgrounds of wine corks and uncooked rice really showed off the colors - I wonder what he would have used for Chartres Blue if he'd had the time, lol.

And yes, I'm tempted by the glowing blue color, too! :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by CatBookMom

• 1 month later...

I just got mine today. It isn't one of the numbered ones, though. I got the M nib, and it is ever so smooth! A friend got it for me from Itoya in Tokyo. I love the jewel tone of the translucent blue!

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

• 3 months later...

Great review and your handwriting suggests lighter hand and shows what the EF is capable of in terms of a fine line (compared to the Goulet Pens video). Thanks. Great photos also.

I have one with a fine nib...it's inked up with Pilot Iroshizuku Kon Peki right now. Your review is the one that pushed me over the edge.

I have (and like) the Bourgogne (and I have an EF nib, too) but your review always makes me wish, just for a second, I'd gotten Chartres Blue instead. Maybe one day I'll get a blue fine.