The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Custom 823 Black - F

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:21

I already have a Custom 823 Brown with a B nib. Being a Japanese B nib, it is not too broad to be unpractical in a daily writing. But, for my daily writing in a mandane circumstance, I tend to lean toward F or M. So, I decided to get another Customs 823 with an F nib. This time with a black trim.

Even though I have not yet got to use this pen (except for initial dip testing), based on my experience with my 823 Brown, the pen is easy to hold despite a heavier tail end. As my daily writer, I use a 845 M, 843 FA and Heritage 92 F. My Custom 74 Music and 742 Stub are currently out of rotation (along with several of Silvern pens and makie pens). I think I will put this 823 Black in my rotation. A vacuum filler is a main feature of this pen. The pen is well made and is put together perfectly as expected from a Japansese manufacturer.

Presentation: No fanfare. A very business-like, simple and sufficient packaging.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Nib: A very sharp looking F nib made of 14K gold. My Custom 845 has the same 15 size nib; but, it is made of 18K gold. The nib leaves a line an F nib should do. Not as smooth as Platinum's F. But, Pilot nibs are known for giving some feedback. So, no issue here. I have not yet inked it yet, however.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pen: A classic design. Very similar to the Custom 743model.

Posted Image
Posted Image

My 823 Brown with a B nib:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Pen2009, 09 February 2013 - 07:49.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Sponsored Content

#2 mirosc

mirosc

I love the smell of ink in the morning

• Member - Gold

• 2,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:19

Nice!
How do you compare the 823F to the MB149F?
Greetings,
Michael

#3 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:23

Nice!
How do you compare the 823F to the MB149F?

I think MB 149 F is more like Pilot M (or closer to broad). My 149 F is a super smooth writer. Even my 149 EF is not even close to Pilot's F; compared to Pilot, MB's EF is more like Medium Fine at best.

Edited by Pen2009, 09 February 2013 - 07:24.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#4 joebobbillyfrank

joebobbillyfrank

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2017 - 14:15

Are there any particular recommended sellers that we can get the black one with the FA nib?

#5 joly1

joly1

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:21

Are there any particular recommended sellers that we can get the black one with the FA nib?

yes ,Tokyo pen shop quill         http://www.japanshop-quill.com/

#6 joebobbillyfrank

joebobbillyfrank

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2017 - 19:05

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

|