The Incredible Jinhao X750

Penne Stilografiche

None of my caps have threads. They all snap firmly on and off but this one has some slack after it has snapped on. They were all purchased in 2014. This is curious.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBUCKTHORN

• Penne Stilografiche

• kemuri

• Tinta Verde

Jinhao X750 arrives from China!

Ordered off the bay Jan. 23 for a whopping cost of $3.29, including free shipping.

Washed with soap and water; loaded with Baystate Blue ... it's a great writer, and seems to have the same medium nib as the Jinhao 3000 "Tiger" pen. Nib says "18K GP" but I see no gold color ... all three of my new Jinhaos have that same nib and logo of a ... chariot, I guess. Not the "bug".

This x750 is the solid stainless-steel/ aluminum/ plain metal all over version. Unlike the much heavier "Tiger" pen, you can post the cap while writing.

Enjoying it, and if lost, well. A Mont Blanc, it ain't.

TV

Edited by Tinta Verde

Hello everyone!!! My first FP was a Parker, it leaked within a couple of weeks. I started buying cross, some leaked or just felt very "cheap" and could not get them to post. I just bought a Lamy safari, Pilot metropolitan and Jinhao X750. The Jin Hao being the cheapest at 7.00 usd on Amazon. The Lamy is already leaking after just 3 days, from reviews here I think I probably got a dud. I think the Jin Hao would be perfect if it did not write as dry as it does. It looks like an expensive pen, it feels really solid and it started writing out of the box. I agree with the OPs assessment of this pen. For the price its an awesome pen!!!! And on a side note why does the pilot medium nib write finer than the Lamy's fine nib?? That is just weird. Thanks guys!

• 1 month later...

Apestapatas, sounds like you got a lemon with that Lamy, they are usually very reliable. The reason the Pilot M is finer than a Lamy F is because Pilot is Japanese, and their nibs are much finer that European nibs, like the German Lamy.

I bought the X750 and it was okay out of the box. I cleaned, tuned and smoothed the nib a bit and it got a lot better. In a nearly arbitrary move, I later purchased a 1.1 mm italic stub from Goulet and installed it in this pin. Now, it's a hoot!

This is major fun to write with. It makes even my chicken scratch look ostentatious and downright respectable. It's even more fun than the Noodler's flex nib in my Ahab.

I've still got that #6 standard steel nib which looks quite nice and I think is a medium. It's been tuned to the X750 and it should work just as well in whatever pen I install it.

I have an X450 ordered, and yes, the wait on anything from China is hard to deal with. I figure it's got to builld character.

Getting on with it.

Mark

You can pick these up for half the price that online retailers sell them for. I think the pens are hit or miss in terms of quality, but it's understandable. Liked the review, thanks!

Could that half-price from China be a false economy on such an inexpensive item when Goulet (for example, and no connection) has them ready for shipment, stands behind their quality, and can supply their superb #6 nib as an option (for $15 additional) .

Could that half-price from China be a false economy on such an inexpensive item when Goulet (for example, and no connection) has them ready for shipment, stands behind their quality, and can supply their superb #6 nib as an option (for $15 additional) .

You make a good point. I like the idea of supporting Goulet Pens, and the price difference is simply trading time for money. Everyone will have to weigh tat balance individually, but that being said, Jenhao seems to offer great value. At lest I think so given my (limited) experience.

Mark

• 3 months later...

Couple of years ago I had X750 and X450. They were okay but were starting to run dry after half a page and the writing experience was a bit dull so I got rid of them.

On a spur of a moment I now got myself X750 steel version. And I am impressed. This one leaves nice wet medium line. Was okay on arrival but I made just couple of eights on 12.000 micro mesh and it writes beautifully. Looks well made especially the brass parts and I am enjoying it more than Lamy 2000 or Pilot Capless (both good pens) and it costed me $5 shipping included!

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

I have this problem with all converter pens. I was thinking about buying a Visconti traveling inkpot, but then I realized that plastic coin tubes work just as well and are about $1.00 each.

http://www.usahobby.com/coins/cointubes.jpg

A DOLLAR? A quick search on DuckDuckGo led me to http://www.coinsupplyexpress.com/coin-tubes.html, where individual tubes are 0.29 USD for dime, cent, nickel, quarter, and half-dollar sizes. Individual silver-dollar sized tubes are 0.37 USD. Or I could carry on using ink sample vials for this sort of thing.

By the way, what's the inside diameter of a Visconti Traveling Ink Pot? Oh wait, it doesn't much matter; what does is the diameter of the hole in the rubber stopper they put in the top...