Delta Fusion 82

CryptoDave

This is not meant to be a comprehensive review.

Instead, I wanted to do a quick post of my initial thoughts on this pen.

I just received (several days ago) a new Dleta Fusion 82, Brown, with an Extra Fine nib.

I flushed it first with cold water several times and then inked it up with Mont Blanc Toffee ink.

I then tested it on some HP Premuim Choice 32lb paper.

My initial reaction was this pen is way too scratchy, not the smooth glassy writer that everyone describes.

But I kept using it over the course of several days and all of a sudden it felt very very nice.

I also think (others who have more experience than I do, please please weigh in) that some of the "scratchy" feeling is due to this being an EF nib, although it does seem to flex a bit with pressure. I like this, not complaining.

I don't know if I just got accustom to the nib over time or if it actually "softened" up or if if it just needed to run through some ink.

Now that I have used it for several days of writing, I like it a lot. It produces one of the finest lines in my collection, and I typically write with F nibs.

As everyone else who has reviewed this pen has already said, the Brown color is great! Sometimes I just hold it up to a light to see the different color variations.

I also love the fact that they gave me a threaded cartridge converter.

Overall a very nice pen that I am going to keep. Not one of my best writers in terms of smoothness, but one of the best in terms of fine lines.

Dave

Edited by CryptoDave

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CryptoDave

• iamchum

• penultress

• IKWarren

I just purchased a delta hans christian anderson LE from chatterley (having a great sale there) and Bryant (amazing service) told me Delta pens are typically a bit finer than other italian manufacturers, so an EF in the Delta range, might come out to be an EEF elsewhere.

I havent gotten the HCA LE yet, but I ordered it with an M nib, as it typically like taking notes with a european F.

Btw, apart from smoothness, is there any difference between a fusion nib and a more traditionally designed one? I haven't gotten much of an impression that it is different.

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

@Oh Long Johnson,

Congrats on your new Delta.

As far as the Fusion nib design goes it is a smooth writer with the right ink (see my up-dated post below), BUT I do not buy their marketing claim that is some sort of revolutionary design that increases the viscosity of the ink through the nib. Is it different from more traditionally designed nibs? Yes as you stated it writes as an EEF nib to my pleasant surprise. But this may not be to your liking.

Dave

Up date to my original post:

I just received a bottle of Noodlers Walnut ink.

So, I flushed the Fusion 82, which had a little bit of the Mont Blanc Toffee left.

Cleaned the pen thoroughly and loaded up the Noodlers Walnut.

All I can say is WOW! The Fusion now writes "glass smooth". I really didn't think an ink could make a difference. I was wrong. With the Noodlers Walnut it is a totally different pen. In this pen, the Noodlers Walnut blows the doors off the Mont Blanc Toffee, IMHO.

Now it's a great pen.

Dave

lol, good to hear. Yeah for sure, ink makes a heap of difference, it is the lubricant after all. I notice I get great performance out of the aurora black ink I have in my delta hca le. Quink is a little too slippery and for some reason the noodler's inks I have just feather too much on paper I often use. Iroshizuku inks I have also work well, and I am scared of the diamine pumpkin I have (lol) boy it packs a punch

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

I love my black Delta Fusion 82! It does write glass smooth - so far I've only inked it with J. Herbin's Poussiere de Lune. I have the F nib and the ink flows just right.

Incidentally, Walnut is one of my favorite inks. So glad to hear it works with this Delta!

• 1 month later...

I've been wondering about Delta line sizes. I really like the look of the Fusion 82 but don't know about the Fusion nib.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been eyeing the Delta Fusion for a while now, and while I almost exclusively write with EF nibs on a daily basis, I was going to get a Delta with a stub nib to have something broader for when I sign documents and stuff...

But now that I hear the Extra-Fine is like an EEF, I might be convinced to go with an EF instead so that I can use it more often, as often my complaint with EF nibs is that they are not fine enough, and I'd love a nice Italian pen with a very fine line.

Does anyone have a writing sample with a Delta EF nib and perhaps an EF of another brand?

I just bought a bunch of Viscontis that I'm waiting for and I really want to try out other Italian pens and I've been thinking of getting this pen for awhile. I don't know much about Italian pens since the Viscontis will be my first but I do like finer nibs so I might have to get a Delta soon. I either want one of the Delta windows, the shadow Dolce Vita, or one of these.

I also do not believe the ink viscosity thing, they should just call it a steel nib with gold plating but if it writes well I don't care if they say that it can stop global warming. I might go with this since I depleted a lot of my funds on my Viscontis but if anyone has any of the other Deltas I've mentioned as well I'm willing to hear which one you prefer and why.