Any Help Appreciated...

Casexx

Hi to all! Long time lurker - first time poster. I received a montblanc rollerball pen for a Christmas gift and I've been on the fpn about everyday since.

You mean the pen you "bought from a local small town jeweler" and then sold on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Montblanc-163-Rollerball-/271136211421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f20fa41dd

Questions about ebay descriptions are legitimate, but nobody likes to be played for a chump. I am disappointed to see my earlier comments quoted verbatim in your listing that Daniel linked to.

Pretending to have interest in a pen so you can trick FPN members into helping you sell it on ebay is offensive. You sure snookered me. Boy, do I feel dumb.

No your info is incorrect! That was a montblanc 163 rollerball. My wife bought me a montblanc rb for Christmas, then I went to the same jewelry store and bought the other one they had (for $100) and sold it on eBay 1/15/13. As you can see, this thread was started Tuesday evening 2/5/13. I did list the sheaffer on eBay, because I hadn't made up my mind on whether I wanted to have a restoration done on a pen I knew nothing about....but when more information was posted on this thread, I ended the listing with the idea of pursuing the restoration. Why the hostility? My mind was not made up. I was still learning my options.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Casexx

• kirchh

• Shaporama

• ashbridg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you plan to do with the pen?

--Daniel

I am not quite sure. I bought it at an antique store on Tuesday, and I brought it home to try and identify it online. I am thinking of offering it for sale. I want to own and use a fountain pen but since this pen is from the 1930's, I think I would rather sell it and buy something more recent. Let me know what you would suggest. I respect your opinion. Thanks for your help in identifying it for me.

My opinion? My opinion is that this pen has been for sale on eBay since yesterday:

http://cgi.ebay.com/271152217161

Are you still "not quite sure" what you are going to do with it?

--Daniel

Yes, I did list the pen last night ( 9:45 pm ) but that was before I knew about the restoration costs and options that are availale to me. I want to own a fountain pen but I knew absolutely nothing about a vac-fil and now I only know what people have posted. Thanks again for the education.

I see. So when you wrote on Thursday,

I am thinking of offering it for sale

...that wasn't true, because you had already listed it on eBay the day before.

Just so we're clear.

--Daniel

I agree that technically that wasn't true, but I did a 7 day listing, which gave me time to make up my mind. I wasn't trying to be deceitful - just brief. I was not interested in paying for a restoration until I found out it might cost between $30-50. Apparently I went about this wrong and I apologize.

Hi to all! Long time lurker - first time poster. I received a montblanc rollerball pen for a Christmas gift and I've been on the fpn about everyday since.

You mean the pen you "bought from a local small town jeweler" and then sold on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Montblanc-163-Rollerball-/271136211421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f20fa41dd

Questions about ebay descriptions are legitimate, but nobody likes to be played for a chump. I am disappointed to see my earlier comments quoted verbatim in your listing that Daniel linked to.

Pretending to have interest in a pen so you can trick FPN members into helping you sell it on ebay is offensive. You sure snookered me. Boy, do I feel dumb.

I re-read your post and I understand now what you meant. You think my original statement is untrue. It is not. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, and like I replied to Daniel, I apologize for handling this wrong - that was not my intention. I sold the one mb 163 rb on eBay, because I didn't want to own two of the same pen. Isn't that what you do when you are trying to start a collection? I took that money and it helped me buy four other pens (see pic). The original cmas gift - MB 163 rb is on the far right. Beside it are 2 generation rb pens I bought off of Craigslist. The black pen in the middle is a MB generation ballpoint I purchased off of eBay. On the far left is a MB Starwalker fine liner that I purchased on Craigslist. You can see the sheaffer in the middle. I was trying to use information but to learn not to profit. I've been on eBay since 2004 and I've sold maybe a dozen items. I have recently put some items up for sale but that is so I will have some extra funds to collect pens. I appreciate the fpn and I apologize for going about collecting in an inappropriate way. Lesson learned.

I re-read your post and I understand now what you meant. You think my original statement is untrue. It is not. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, and like I replied to Daniel, I apologize for handling this wrong - that was not my intention. I sold the one mb 163 rb on eBay, because I didn't want to own two of the same pen. Isn't that what you do when you are trying to start a collection? I took that money and it helped me buy four other pens (see pic). The original cmas gift - MB 163 rb is on the far right. Beside it are 2 generation rb pens I bought off of Craigslist. The black pen in the middle is a MB generation ballpoint I purchased off of eBay. On the far left is a MB Starwalker fine liner that I purchased on Craigslist. You can see the sheaffer in the middle. I was trying to use information but to learn not to profit. I've been on eBay since 2004 and I've sold maybe two dozen items. I have recently put some items up for sale but that is so I will have some extra funds to collect pens. I appreciate the fpn and I apologize for going about collecting in an inappropriate way. Lesson learned.

Edited by Casexx

I re-read your post and I understand now what you meant. You think my original statement is untrue. It is not. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, and like I replied to Daniel, I apologize for handling this wrong - that was not my intention. I sold the one mb 163 rb on eBay, because I didn't want to own two of the same pen. Isn't that what you do when you are trying to start a collection? I took that money and it helped me buy four other pens (see pic). The original cmas gift - MB 163 rb is on the far right. Beside it are 2 generation rb pens I bought off of Craigslist. The black pen in the middle is a MB generation ballpoint I purchased off of eBay. On the far left is a MB Starwalker fine liner that I purchased on Craigslist. You can see the sheaffer in the middle. I was trying to use information but to learn not to profit. I've been on eBay since 2004 and I've sold maybe two dozen items. I have recently put some items up for sale but that is so I will have some extra funds to collect pens. I appreciate the fpn and I apologize for going about collecting in an inappropriate way. Lesson learned.

post-96805-0-55274000-1360333836.jpg

Edited by Casexx

No harm, no foul. It was a misunderstanding and you are learning. I am glad you've decided to keep the pen.

I agree that technically that wasn't true, but I did a 7 day listing, which gave me time to make up my mind. I wasn't trying to be deceitful - just brief.

I see; rather than saying, "I listed it on eBay", you chose to write this untrue reply, because it was "brief":

I am not quite sure. I bought it at an antique store on Tuesday, and I brought it home to try and identify it online. I am thinking of offering it for sale. I want to own and use a fountain pen but since this pen is from the 1930's, I think I would rather sell it and buy something more recent. Let me know what you would suggest. I respect your opinion.

If you consider this only "technically" untrue, you'll udnerstand why your future statements will be evaluated accordingly.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

I've been on eBay since 2004 and I've sold maybe a dozen items.

Do you consider over 40 items to be "maybe a dozen"? Or is that just another brief but "technically" untrue statement?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

I've been on eBay since 2004 and I've sold maybe a dozen items.

Do you consider over 40 items to be "maybe a dozen"? Or is that just another brief but "technically" untrue statement?

--Daniel

Wow! I went back and edited this statement just in case my generalization wasn't accurate and I changed the post to say two dozen... But you are right I went and actually counted (you must have also counted) Out of 166 feedback ratings since 2004, 41 of them were from buyers (this number includes what my wife has sold also since we share a user ID and i didnt take that into account). That's less than 5 items sold a year. I apologized and tried to explain my mindset (that i knew i had 7 days to make up my mind) but if that's not good enough Daniel there's nothing else I can do. Of course I knew you could search eBay and find my listing of the sheaffer pen, but I didn't think that was a big deal. Now I know better. I'm just trying to start a pen collection. But don't worry, I won't post anymore. Have a good day.