The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pel Royal Blue W. Mb Black?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Joker4Eva

Joker4Eva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2013 - 21:07

Hi guys and girls!
I'm relatively new to the world of ink mixing, so I thought I'd pop by to clarify this issue.
I've got 2 inks which I do not quite like, that I intend to finish using before getting anymore ink. They're Pelikan Royal Blue and Montblanc Black.
I dislike the shade of Pelikan Royal Blue. It just isn't a bold enough blue for me. Even with an oblique medium nib on a Pelikan M200, it looks more like a faded blue than a "royal" blue.
The Montblanc Black just can't find it's way into my rotation. My blacks have to have at least a little permanence, and the MB Black just doesn't have that water-resistivity.
After searching around for a while on the forums on what to do with these two inks, I thought I should just ask you guys in this forum, if it was alright mixing these two inks together to produce a blue-black?
I do not really have the apparatus to test it out myself, so I guess I'd pop by and ask if anyone has done it before. Is there anything I should pay attention to? Are these two inks compatible with each other, being mixed?

Sponsored Content

#2 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 16:33

I have not tried this particular combination. However, from past experience I can say that both Pelikan and MB are both safe inks to mix. :happyberet:

I would recommend that you start with a 10 to 1, blue to black mix (you can use an eyedropper) in a clean container and let the mixture sit overnight to be on the safe side.

However, if you are looking for some degree of water resistance, this would not be a good combination, as none of these inks are water resistant. You will probably get better results mixing the Pelikan blue with a bit of Noodlers black, and the MB black with Pilot blue.

Anyway, ink mixing (like penmanship) is a hands on experience. Please do report back and show us your results.

#3 Joker4Eva

Joker4Eva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 18:47

Was just looking for a usable ink. Pelikan's Royal Blue's so faded out, I don't think I can use it in anything.
Would love to try that method out, but I unfortunately do not have any of those ink mixing equipment. Clean, empty container? Nope, have got to finish that bottle of ink first. Or maybe I could use the shotglass. :roflmho:
Eyedroppers? Nope.
I really should run to the pharmacy to get some of those. :headsmack:

Sponsored Content

|