The Parson's Essential

amantadine

I received mine last week. It really does write like a dream (fine point on mine). It is a heavy pen and not comfortable writing for long sessions with the cap posted. I think it really is a beautiful pen. Sadly, mine already has a chip in the lacquer on the cap and the underlying brass really shows through. So I don't think the pen will age well unless you really like that worn look.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harlequin

• Mags

• pjford

• rbeef

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me the Parson Italix experience was not something to blow my mind. I ordered 3 of them (thinking I could use one as a gift) after so enthusiastic reviews here, but when they arrived I was more or less disapointed. They look indeed more or less nice, but the way the nibs are smoothed make them look cheap. I ordered all in italic with 2 of them 1.3 mm and I later discovered to be really big for me and I wanted to see if I could change one of them in a smaller width (but then the answer was that I could do that only if the nib was never inked which you can imagine was not possible as I tried them all when they arrived to see how they write). So in the end I think it is nothing that blows your mind or a pen that will last for years. I think that in time the nib will look terrible, maybe I'll find a way to put a Pelikan nib in them.

For me the Parson Italix experience was not something to blow my mind. I ordered 3 of them (thinking I could use one as a gift) after so enthusiastic reviews here, but when they arrived I was more or less disapointed. They look indeed more or less nice, but the way the nibs are smoothed make them look cheap. I ordered all in italic with 2 of them 1.3 mm and I later discovered to be really big for me and I wanted to see if I could change one of them in a smaller width (but then the answer was that I could do that only if the nib was never inked which you can imagine was not possible as I tried them all when they arrived to see how they write). So in the end I think it is nothing that blows your mind or a pen that will last for years. I think that in time the nib will look terrible, maybe I'll find a way to put a Pelikan nib in them.

We at MrPen emphatically did not give you such information. We always accept nibs for exchange within thirty days, inked or not. This policy is the whole basis for our successful pen sales.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

We at MrPen emphatically did not give you such information. We always accept nibs for exchange within thirty days, inked or not. This policy is the whole basis for our successful pen sales.

I looked your order up and in fact you made a request for nib exchange four months after original purchase. We said we would make the exchange if the nib was unused. I feel your comments are misleading and unfair.

Well I had to see what the fuss is all about. I just placed my order for a black w a fine italic nib. Thanks for all the info everybody.

I looked your order up and in fact you made a request for nib exchange four months after original purchase. We said we would make the exchange if the nib was unused. I feel your comments are misleading and unfair.

I don't want to start something like you said this, I said that. Let's leave it as it is about the nib swap (and if you have looked up my order you could also check the last email you've sent me), I did not push it in our private conversation and I don't do it now.

And all the rest is just an opinion after using the Italix - hope you don't mean that this comments (about the nib or the durability) are also misleading and unfair. Others are satisfied, ecstatic about the pen, I'm not and you can't always have good reviews. In fact I'm really thinking to write an extend post about my last years experiences with different brands, some that are overrated and other that deserve more credit.

Well I had to see what the fuss is all about. I just placed my order for a black w a fine italic nib. Thanks for all the info everybody.

Good luck with yours! I love mine--medium stub (my best pen!)

I agree completely with Mr. Ford. Implying that a company did not stand behind their products, when it most certainly does, is indeed misleading and unfair. Four months? - Most companies wouldn't even take an unused nib back after four months. I choose to believe and support Mr. Ford. He has been nothing but truthful as a merchant and his customer service is very well known on this forum. I am a recipient of his excellent service and will long continue to be a customer.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I got my blue one a few weeks ago.. Love it. Quick efficient service.

It seems to me that someone just had buyers remorse... The pen and nib is shown on the webpage, there's plenty of online reviews, mine looked pretty much exactly how it was on the website. Even how they would grind the nib was on the site. So..... Not sure how you can complain about getting what was advertised?!?!?..

4 months is long time to expect a replacement... I should ask for that amount of cooling off period when buying a new car.

I've ordered my blue one with a fine nib and it's arrived!!... At the wrong address... Being at university and forgetting to check what address you have selected on your PayPal account sucks... Now I have to wait until next Friday when my parents visit to try it out!

My green one writes well.

The line width is little bit wider than what I get with my others medium nib pens, but I'm very satisfied with this pen.

Parsson_Essential-1.jpg

Finally got my hands on mine - in the Marbled Blue finish and a fine nib. Very nice pen indeed, feels very well-built and solid and the nib is very smooth. Mine has quite a bit of feedback mind, but it's very nice to write with. One thing I will say is that the blue finish doesn't look quite as vibrant as it does in the picture, the blue is a little duller and less bright, but I really don't mind as it's just a great pen otherwise. I'll do a full review sometime :)

Oh and mine does have the "Italix Parson's Essential" stamp on it but it's so light you can barely see it and really don't notice it so it doesn't distract from it's general appearence at all

EDIT: Oh and mine had arrived the day after ordering, but I accidentally got it sent to my home address rather than my university address!

Edited by a.lachlan

• 3 months later...

I have had my Essential now for about 2 months. I originally purchased one with a fine nib but found it was too fine for me and tended to write a little dryly. It was readily exchanged for a medium nib which is really excellent, very smooth. However, such are the vagaries of nib widths, the fine was verging on the EF on my Sheaffer Targa, whilst the medium is on the fine side of medium (based on my experience with other pens) and is actually about the same width as the fine on my Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron. The only minor issue I have is that, very occasionally, the pen suddenly dries up even if the converter is full (of Diamine Imperial Blue ink) but this is of small concern to me since the pen is of excellent quality, easily equal to pens costing much more. It must be one of the best bargains on the pen market and Mr Pen's support is excellent.

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

• 1 year later...

I'm a happy Parson Essential owner and I plan to get a Churchman Prescriptor too. Since the nib of PE is fantastic, I'm curious about the Churchman Prescriptor's nib: is it as smooth, is it the same or it's a different one? People are generally praising PE's writing experience (I'm on of them), but I'm wondering how does it compare with a Chruchman Prescriptor.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.

The nib on the Churchman's is larger than the Parson's but the processes for making it smooth are identical. However the Churchman's is a tad wider. The pen has a large following and is second only to the Parson's in terms of sales. The Captain's Commission uses a similar nib and feed to the Churchman's and writes identically. My daily pen of choice is the Captain's Commission, it is a really classy looking fountain pen. MrPen

I know this is a necrothread but since it has been bumped let me just join the chorus. I got a Parson's Essential in Black with a medium stub off Massdrop (big mistake, zero savings, 2+ month wait), but after a long wait the pen finally did arrive and a easily lived up to the hype and then some.

The pen is heavy and sold, absolutely beautiful buttery smooth lacquer over brass, super smooth. The pen feels like it might be a problem ergonomically but then you take off the cap and realize the pen is very well balanced indeed and the section is nice to hold with a helpful little flare out at the end. Very nice indeed.

Build quality & Aesthetics: Off the charts. Really robust and fit and finish are all more than I expected. This is perhaps an under hyped aspect of the pen (imo). I love the little Celtic bands. Classy.

Ergonomics & balance: Fine. The section could be a little chubbier for my tastes but still a cozy pen.

Nib and Ink: Sweet baby cupcakes. Medium stub is up there with the best stubs I have tried from nibbers and stock mid-century Waterman, Parker and Sheaffer stubs. Really nice. Ink flow is nice and wet on mine and I have it inked with an Iron Gall Blue Black (Platinum). Nice flow and puts down a nice stubby line with nice thin cross strokes. Really nice nib cut.

It's been a VERY long time since i was this impressed with a modern production pen.

A+ all around. Build, writing experience, comfort, aesthetics... bravo.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

The nib on the Churchman's is larger than the Parson's but the processes for making it smooth are identical. However the Churchman's is a tad wider. The pen has a large following and is second only to the Parson's in terms of sales. The Captain's Commission uses a similar nib and feed to the Churchman's and writes identically. My daily pen of choice is the Captain's Commission, it is a really classy looking fountain pen. MrPen

So Churchman's nib is larger, made from the same material (alloy) and processed the same way as Parson's, but it's a bit wider. That's good to know, thanks for the quick reply. It's definitely on my list for the next purchase.

Is there a fine nib for the Churchman within your plans in the near future?

Edited by BatmanWalks

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.

• 1 year later...

After following this thread for nearly two years I finally bought one through Massdrop. Burgundy with a medium stub.

5 converters of ink have gone through it and I have to say that I am very happy with the nib and the quality.

Nice work!

After following this thread for nearly two years I finally bought one through Massdrop.

What'd you pay for it shipped? I briefly considered using MD but the cost of shipping to Canada never seemed to make it a good option.

I have three Parson's Essential, a Captain's Commission, and a Churchman's Prescriptor. They all write great. Nothing bad to say at all. Great pens, quick service, easy to communicate.