The Parson's Essential

amantadine

Another pen has arrived today and I thought I would try my hand at a handwritten review - so apologies for my handwriting! I am currently in a italic FP phase at the moment and so this pen made a whole lot of sense.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8355/8438182047_feacef4506_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8214/8438182041_feacef4506_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8195/8439269216_4ce9c32e67_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8098/8439269200_3b9d21cc42_o.jpg

Here are some photos of my new purchase!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8351/8439269440_2d79e29dbd_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8468/8439269388_cf6f7acf0c_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8378/8438182189_63c281d33d_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8504/8438182131_e781f739be_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8496/8438182089_2e5e4b0cb0_o.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the review!

Aman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harlequin

• Mags

• pjford

• rbeef

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I treated myself to the Parson's Essential Amber with a fine stub nib this week and I'm thrilled with the pen. I spoke to Mr Pen to get some info about the pen and nibs before ordering and they were really helpful, the pen is worth every penny and feels like a pen that costs 2-3 times the price. The Amber model looks beautiful too, I realise looks are subjective but I really do like the look and design of it, the nib on my pen is very smooth and the ink flow is fantastic, I use the pen to draw so a smooth nib and good flow are essential.

I swore I'd buy no more pens as I've been disappointed with the last few I've bought(the Noodler's Konrad being the straw that broke the camels back :S ) but the Parson's Essential has restored my faith and I think at some point I'll be investing in another Italix pen as the build quality and performance are incredible, not just for a pen in this price range but for any pen.

I have one of these with the 1mm italic, and I must admit it is an absolute beauty of a pen especially at the price! I'm considering getting another one of the Italix pens very soon. I've developed a real thing for my italic nibs. :cloud9:

I have one of these with the 1mm italic, and I must admit it is an absolute beauty of a pen especially at the price! I'm considering getting another one of the Italix pens very soon. I've developed a real thing for my italic nibs. :cloud9:

Where in the U.S. does one buy these?

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

A great looking pen indeed! I will be taking the plunge and buying one someday soon I believe. Do they still make caps with the other design?

Where in the U.S. does one buy these?

Try here, http://www.mrpen.co.uk/

not in the U.S., but prices and delivery from the U.K. are good.

Regards

Jeff

Veeery nice review, Amantadine and what superb quality pictures AND handwriting ! It shows so well how worthwhile it can be to try italic or stub nibs. It improves the attractiveness of handwritten manuscripts. Enjoy and thanks !

I ordered one yesterday on the strength of your review and it arrived this morning :D

I'm very pleased with the handling, how it performs, the quality, and of course, the price.

Its a lovely pen and represents terrific value for money.

Mrpen is a pleasure to deal with as well.

A big thanks for your review!

beejay

Thank you guys! In fact I got one with a fine cursive nib also! Ordered yesterday, waiting eagerly for its arrival! I need an italic nib that I can use every day but fine enough so that I can write fairly small-ish.

For anyone who has the PE- does the barrel still have the words "Parson's Essential" engraved somewhere on it? I'm not sure if engraved is really the right word, but I'm sure you know what I mean. I'm not speaking of the optional cap engraving (as shown in amantadine's picture). I just recall that in Stephen Brown's review of the PE, he did show that the pen actually had Parson's Essential also engraved on the barrel.

For anyone who has the PE- does the barrel still have the words "Parson's Essential" engraved somewhere on it? I'm not sure if engraved is really the right word, but I'm sure you know what I mean. I'm not speaking of the optional cap engraving (as shown in amantadine's picture). I just recall that in Stephen Brown's review of the PE, he did show that the pen actually had Parson's Essential also engraved on the barrel.

Yes the engraving is there but its very subtle..I didn't see it at first.

You can also have your initials engraved at time of ordering and the service is free I think if you opt for standard block lettering.

beejay

I wonder if that is a production option for some pens. I remember seeing a youtube video where the person was commenting that their pen did not have that "engraving". I highly doubt that PEs are being counterfeited, so I've always wondered why some may not have that specific engraving while others do. To the best of my recollection, a good portion of the video was specifically about it not being there- so it wasn't just overlooked.

The first Parson's Essential that I bought - the one with the greek key band on the cap - had the engraving. The one I bought later, with the celtic knot design does not. I don't know why. Perhaps it's a cost thing. Slightly disappointing as I do like the engraving, though it is very subtle.

Why not contact Mr. Ford and ask him. He is very helpful.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

"Imprint" is the pen-fanciers' word for that engraved "Parson's Essential" on the barrel of the pen. I didn't buy one during the Greek-key period, but mine, with a Celtic-knot cap band, does have the imprint.

It may be worth pointing out that a number of people who bought the pen with the imprint complained on FPN that they didn't like it. So it's just possible that Peter Ford was responding to his pen's modest-sized public by taking the imprint off the pen. I don't hate its being there, but could happily live without it myself.

Glad I caught this reveiw, if somewhat late. Fabulous review Aman. :clap1: Thank you for taking the time.

Pavoni.

My pen has "The Italix Parson's Essential" imprinted onto the barrel. Took me a few days before I realised it was there, very subtle!