The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Parson's Essential

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 amantadine

amantadine

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 20:32

Another pen has arrived today and I thought I would try my hand at a handwritten review - so apologies for my handwriting! I am currently in a italic FP phase at the moment and so this pen made a whole lot of sense.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are some photos of my new purchase!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope you enjoyed the review!

Aman

Sponsored Content

#2 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 20:56

Excellent - thanks for that. I have the amber version - and I love it. It's an absolute giveaway at the price.

#3 andymcc

andymcc

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2013 - 00:20

I treated myself to the Parson's Essential Amber with a fine stub nib this week and I'm thrilled with the pen. I spoke to Mr Pen to get some info about the pen and nibs before ordering and they were really helpful, the pen is worth every penny and feels like a pen that costs 2-3 times the price. The Amber model looks beautiful too, I realise looks are subjective but I really do like the look and design of it, the nib on my pen is very smooth and the ink flow is fantastic, I use the pen to draw so a smooth nib and good flow are essential.
I swore I'd buy no more pens as I've been disappointed with the last few I've bought(the Noodler's Konrad being the straw that broke the camels back :S ) but the Parson's Essential has restored my faith and I think at some point I'll be investing in another Italix pen as the build quality and performance are incredible, not just for a pen in this price range but for any pen.

#4 midnightblues

midnightblues

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2013 - 23:31

I have one of these with the 1mm italic, and I must admit it is an absolute beauty of a pen especially at the price! I'm considering getting another one of the Italix pens very soon. I've developed a real thing for my italic nibs. :cloud9:

#5 Moynihan

Moynihan

Old Guy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 19:39

I have one of these with the 1mm italic, and I must admit it is an absolute beauty of a pen especially at the price! I'm considering getting another one of the Italix pens very soon. I've developed a real thing for my italic nibs. :cloud9:

Where in the U.S. does one buy these?
"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard "Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

#6 afern401

afern401

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2013 - 20:25

A great looking pen indeed! I will be taking the plunge and buying one someday soon I believe. Do they still make caps with the other design?

#7 VirtuThe3rd

VirtuThe3rd

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 20:41

Excellent handwriting!! Beautiful. Thanks for sharing so much. :)

#8 jkingrph

jkingrph

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2013 - 20:50

Where in the U.S. does one buy these?

Try here, http://www.mrpen.co.uk/

not in the U.S., but prices and delivery from the U.K. are good.
Regards

Jeff

#9 KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan

Fountain Pen Sith Lord

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2013 - 21:38

I really enjoy my M italic that I forget what size it actually is. I am impressed at how smooth it is.

Posted Image
Italix Parson's Essential with M italic nib and Private Reserve Tropical Blue. #fountainpen by IvanRomero, on Flickr

#10 impossiblebird

impossiblebird

Everything stops for tea

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2013 - 20:31

Handsome pen, and an elegant review.

What minimum diameter does that section taper to, anybody?

#11 Pennie

Pennie

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2013 - 15:56

Veeery nice review, Amantadine and what superb quality pictures AND handwriting ! It shows so well how worthwhile it can be to try italic or stub nibs. It improves the attractiveness of handwritten manuscripts. Enjoy and thanks !

#12 beejay

beejay

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 16:17

I ordered one yesterday on the strength of your review and it arrived this morning :D
I'm very pleased with the handling, how it performs, the quality, and of course, the price.
Its a lovely pen and represents terrific value for money.
Mrpen is a pleasure to deal with as well.
A big thanks for your review!
beejay

#13 amantadine

amantadine

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 22:48

Thank you guys! In fact I got one with a fine cursive nib also! Ordered yesterday, waiting eagerly for its arrival! I need an italic nib that I can use every day but fine enough so that I can write fairly small-ish.

#14 harlequin-RIH

harlequin-RIH

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:42

For anyone who has the PE- does the barrel still have the words "Parson's Essential" engraved somewhere on it? I'm not sure if engraved is really the right word, but I'm sure you know what I mean. I'm not speaking of the optional cap engraving (as shown in amantadine's picture). I just recall that in Stephen Brown's review of the PE, he did show that the pen actually had Parson's Essential also engraved on the barrel.

#15 beejay

beejay

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:05

For anyone who has the PE- does the barrel still have the words "Parson's Essential" engraved somewhere on it? I'm not sure if engraved is really the right word, but I'm sure you know what I mean. I'm not speaking of the optional cap engraving (as shown in amantadine's picture). I just recall that in Stephen Brown's review of the PE, he did show that the pen actually had Parson's Essential also engraved on the barrel.

Yes the engraving is there but its very subtle..I didn't see it at first.
You can also have your initials engraved at time of ordering and the service is free I think if you opt for standard block lettering.
beejay

#16 harlequin-RIH

harlequin-RIH

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:14

I wonder if that is a production option for some pens. I remember seeing a youtube video where the person was commenting that their pen did not have that "engraving". I highly doubt that PEs are being counterfeited, so I've always wondered why some may not have that specific engraving while others do. To the best of my recollection, a good portion of the video was specifically about it not being there- so it wasn't just overlooked.

#17 Lorna Reed

Lorna Reed

Voluntary Verger

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 1,797 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:55

The first Parson's Essential that I bought - the one with the greek key band on the cap - had the engraving. The one I bought later, with the celtic knot design does not. I don't know why. Perhaps it's a cost thing. Slightly disappointing as I do like the engraving, though it is very subtle.
Why not contact Mr. Ford and ask him. He is very helpful.
Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
Philippians 4.8

#18 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,746 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:59

"Imprint" is the pen-fanciers' word for that engraved "Parson's Essential" on the barrel of the pen. I didn't buy one during the Greek-key period, but mine, with a Celtic-knot cap band, does have the imprint.

It may be worth pointing out that a number of people who bought the pen with the imprint complained on FPN that they didn't like it. So it's just possible that Peter Ford was responding to his pen's modest-sized public by taking the imprint off the pen. I don't hate its being there, but could happily live without it myself.

#19 pavoni

pavoni

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:04

Glad I caught this reveiw, if somewhat late. Fabulous review Aman. :clap1: Thank you for taking the time.

Pavoni.

#20 amantadine

amantadine

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:32

My pen has "The Italix Parson's Essential" imprinted onto the barrel. Took me a few days before I realised it was there, very subtle!

Sponsored Content

|