Lamy Safari: Bargain Brilliance Or Ugly Utility

Craig Forsyth

With the ripening of the Chinese market, there are more cheap options available now than any time I can remember, so I think the argument for the Saari/Vista/Al-Star purely not the basis of price is not nearly as compelling as it was a decade ago. Still, I think there is still a good case to be made for the Safari. One of its best features are the inexpensive and interchangeable nibs. I have several Safairs, a couple of Joys, and an Al-Star. Part of the fun is being able to rapidly kit out whatever color I'm in the mood for as a fine, medium, or broad italics, or any of a number of thicknesses. Lamy even features a lefty nib, which, as a lefty, makes me happy, but as an overwriting lefty, is completely useless. The only thing missing is a flexy version of the z35.

The second thing left unmentioned is the ease with which the nib and feed may be modified. For those interested in fiddling with their pens, Safaries are especially good given the ease of separating the nib from the feed, modifying either, and then putting them back together. For me, one of the great joys of fountain pens are that you can make them your own. Lamy practically invites this type of experimentation, which is very cool. I've heard a lot of complaints about veriable nib quality, and that's true to some extent. But the nibs are so easy to tinker with that problems are easily remedied and replacements so readily available and inexpensive that any experiment that goes horribly wrong is hardly disastrous.

Last, I think the polarizing design is a plus rather than a minus. It seems like Lamy's whole design philosophy is to provoke a reaction, and these pens certainly do that. I think these design risks should be respected. After all, what other pen company would have a flagship pen that costs under $200, hides the nib, and looks like a giant black flair pen. Only Lamy.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Craig Forsyth

• JonSzanto

• Harlequin

• brunico

I've had a couple of people ask me what ink was in the Vista in my photo. The gorgeousness of the hue was the work of some kind of digital color enhancement algorithm. Dunno which or how -- it was a long time ago. I believe it started out as Noodler's Legal Lapis, but I just went back tot he page and of course the hue is much flatter than the photo. Sorry!

Doug

It is a nicely engineered pen. I wont say beautiful because it isn't.

The nib switching is a really useful feature not found in such a way in any other pen.

In most cases with other pens you have to remove the section and risk nib misalignment.

I own one Vista, but it is relatively new so I do not know if it will last the test of time.

Although since it is made from plastic, I would guess that is not as sturdy as a metal pen. Based on its reputation

I would guess it will last a long time.

On the other hand I have found a big number of cheaper Chinese and Indian pens as good writers as my Vista.

So if you are concerned about the cost, there are a lot more affordable pens.

Having said that, I think that Vista is not expensive. You can find it for 10GBP on ebay.

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

What are your thoughts about the Lamy Safari, particulatly the Vista? What do you think of its looks? How well does it write and how much pen do you get for your pennies? Any problems? I guess I'm looking for any opinions you folks are willing to share.

I remember when I first saw them, I thought they were the ugliest thing going. Especially with that clip! But now I have over 20 (I know that's not much for many of you) fountain pens, most of which are pretty nice looking and stubbed. Reading how many raved about the Safari I broke down and bought one because: 1) there are contexts where my regular pens might look too blinghy or pretentious in a non FP appreciating crowd; 2) it's very sturdy and great for "rough" environments, e.g. camping, and 3) I wanted the shaped "student" section to practice/remember how to hold a pen, especially with a lighter hand. Even though I grew up with FPs in school, I still can revert to a death grip at times and they help remind me to relax.

I understand the appeal but I wouldn't use one; I generally like modern, utilitarian designs, but the Safari is too toy-like for me (it makes me think of legos and jungle gyms, which were awesome as a kid).

Fun fact: did you know that LEGO has, in fact, a tremendous adult following? They even have a name for it - AFOL, or Adult Fans Of LEGO. The company also produces LEGO sets that are far from toys. For example, you can get precise architectural models from famous buildings by Frank Lloyd Wright, Corbusier and others. And some LEGO sets cost upwards of $500 and would take an experienced builder at least a week to complete.

What I'm saying is: you don't have to be a kid to enjoy the fun things in life. There's no rule that says you *need* to use a boring pen once you pass 20. I personally enjoy great design no matter what age it comes from or is intended for.

Edited by Bjorn Keizers

Well engineered bargain brilliance...

As with all pens, and chairs, and gloves, and so forth, the Safari may or may not be a perfectly comfortable fit for you.

However, the design has been tested many thousands-fold for many years.

I'm one of the many who can detail its ruggedness in heavy daily usage, over a long period.

It's also the one pen which draws positive comments from non-pen people as I'm using it in the public eye.

It's also the one pen which draws positive comments from non-pen people as I'm using it in the public eye.

An interesting point. Nobody ever says "hey, nice pen!" when they see my M205 or my VP, but some people really think my Safari looks pretty sweet.

I understand the appeal but I wouldn't use one; I generally like modern, utilitarian designs, but the Safari is too toy-like for me (it makes me think of legos and jungle gyms, which were awesome as a kid).

Fun fact: did you know that LEGO has, in fact, a tremendous adult following? They even have a name for it - AFOL, or Adult Fans Of LEGO. The company also produces LEGO sets that are far from toys. For example, you can get precise architectural models from famous buildings by Frank Lloyd Wright, Corbusier and others. And some LEGO sets cost upwards of $500 and would take an experienced builder at least a week to complete.

What I'm saying is: you don't have to be a kid to enjoy the fun things in life. There's no rule that says you *need* to use a boring pen once you pass 20. I personally enjoy great design no matter what age it comes from or is intended for.

Duplo pyramid my son and I created this morning - need I say more? As mentioned, my Lamy Vista is ordered (and is apparently in the post already).

post-97251-0-73349400-1359908329.png

I love my Safaris and Al Stars. They look like a child's pen, but I love the way they always work and I can change the nib as desired. I've never had a problem with them and I love the way it feels in my hand.

If anyone is interested, I'm selling a New in Box Raspberry Al Star. This is one of the retired colors.

It's a shame the OP didn't make a poll. We could have settled the question for all eternity. ;)

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Both SWMBO and I agree (an unusual event) that the Safari is an outstanding FP in both form and function and very good value to boot. We'll be giving one to our grandson on his 10th birthday, as he's keenly interested in writing with FPs.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

I have a few Safaris in assorted colors, they are very reliable pens and fun to match with different color inks. I enjoy the design and the bright colors, but what I like the most is that I can leave one inked for a few months only using it sparingly and they always write. No such luck with other pens, maybe except for the preppy which can also be left for a while before it dries out.

I never dismiss something because it is made for children, some of the coolest stuff out there is made for children. I always visit the toy department when I go into a store so many fun things to buy there. I especially love Lego and collect the minifigures and some of the sets. For our anniversary my husband gave me the complete Monsters sets, so much fun.

Edited by Pensible

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j432/Rodera/Images%20to%20Use/signature2.jpg

-Mauri

I never dismiss something because it is made for children, some of the coolest stuff out there is made for children.

Some of the most in demand pens were originally student/school pens. Some are or almost are iconic. The set would include Sheaffer No Nonsense, Parker Vector and Parker 45. Some would even include the Parker 21 in that class. The Sheaffer Cartridge pens are still in circulation and make great EDC pens.

Yet it appears that only the Lamy Safari is lambasted for its original market in Germany.

Duplo pyramid my son and I created this morning - need I say more? As mentioned, my Lamy Vista is ordered (and is apparently in the post already).

Hey, knock yourselves out; it's a matter of taste after all.

I agree that "there's no rule that says you *need* to use a boring pen once you pass 20." I don't own a Safari, yet I don't think any of my pens are boring, even the serious/sober-looking ones. Note that I'm not entirely against the aesthetic. I own some pens that would fall into the same category of design, but: emphasis on the "too" in the quoted post.

Thank you for your help, brunico and gris nuage!

I think I'm going with either a Safari or a Vista (they're pretty much the same thing, right?) from isellpens because it says that it comes with a converter... yay fun colors!

For nibs, I usually like pens that produce fine lines, so do you think the extra fine will be okay? I've read a few reviews and what some of them say is that the extra fine tends to write a little bit more like a fine. How comparable are these all to say, a 0.5 mechanical pencil?

I have an AL Star in the aluminum finish with a fine nib. It was my first fountain pen. Part of the reason I bought it was its design. What I like to call "elegant industrial" as opposed to an L-Tech or Rotring which to me while industrial is just ugly. But we all have different tastes don't we? Right now I have Noodler's 54th Massachusetts in it. Depending on the paper, and ink it can appear as wide or wider as my Waterman Phileas with a fine nib and Pelikan 4001 Blue Black. (but not as wide as my Phileas with a medium nib). I don't have experience with it, but understand that Japanese nibs are about one size finer than "Western" nibs. (europe/north america) So an EF Lamy would be like a F from Pilot.

AL Star- aluminum - several colors/finishes

Safari-ABS plastic multi colored

Vista-clear

but the nibs are the same and (some are black/gunmetal others are silver) so is the basic design.

*Edit: additiion

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have an Al Star, 2 Safari's, and 1 Vista. I'm not into big flashy pens, I prefer the simple ones. For this reason I love the Lamy's. They are very simple, not flashy, are reliable and strong, and are great performers. What's not to like?

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

I have a black Safari with a medium nib. Its an okay pen...the line is a bit wider and heavier than I would like so I dont use it. I definitely like the design; it is modern looking and relatively distinctive. I don't have a ton of cheap pens but I would say that it is the scratchiest feeling pen I have. It is more reliable than my Kaweco sport but honestly my best modern pen under $50 is a Pilot Varsity.