Edson Advice

pp763

Hi,

I'm looking to jump from Montblanc to another brand for a change and I'm looking at the Waterman Edson as well as the Montegrappa Miya and possibly the GVFC Intuition.

Now then, I have a few questions about the edson. I've noticed very very few places sell it online and also on one of the sites there is an absolute massive reduction in price which I'm not complaining about but I do tend to question when it comes to money. Also on the blue and gold version I would be afraid of the gold plate wearing off in time. Is this likely and what could be done? Lastly I'm slightly concerned about the snap on/off cap. Is it well made and after many years of use does it still snap on/off firmly?

Many thanks in advance I know this pen has a fantastic following with very little negatives

Paul.

<strong class='bbc'>Current Pens</strong>Montblanc 161, 162, 146 Solitaire Silver Barley BB, 146P EF, 149 OBB, Generation BP, Solitaire Steel Doue BP Waterman Edson M, Omas 360 L.E Vintage 2013 B, Omas Paragon HT B, Platinum President B, Pilot Custom 74 B, Sailor King Profit Ebonite B

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• pp763

• spatr26

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had my blue/gold Edson for 10 years now, and the plating is still as new.

Of course, a pen like this has to be carried in a pouch.

It's one of the few pens that will instantly start, even when stored vertically, nib facing the sky, after a long time.

The closing mechanism (for the cap) is one of the best systems, if not the best system available. Three springed buttons are located around the section (120°), and they are retaining the cap.

And of course, the nib is beautiful and smooth, the balance is perfect, and in my opinion, the uncapped pen has the fluidest design on the market.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply. Is the metal streak that runs from the nib up the section gold or gold plate?

<strong class='bbc'>Current Pens</strong>Montblanc 161, 162, 146 Solitaire Silver Barley BB, 146P EF, 149 OBB, Generation BP, Solitaire Steel Doue BP Waterman Edson M, Omas 360 L.E Vintage 2013 B, Omas Paragon HT B, Platinum President B, Pilot Custom 74 B, Sailor King Profit Ebonite B

Design-wise, it's a replica of the clip.

There are two stamps on the underside of the ring next to the nib, but I have no idea. Probably gold-plated though, but it's a wild guess.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

I think you will find it is solid 18k gold. It is stamped with the French hallmarks and the catalogue states 18 carat solid gold nib structure.

As for the pens build quality, you will not be disappointed. I have the medium in Ruby. Yes some have had their problems but that happens with anything...in particular Suzuki Grand Vitaras from 2006 to 2009 :crybaby: but that's another story.

The best, new, price I have seen in the UK is around £550 but I can say there is a new one on the UK bay now for much less and open to offers. The seller seems to have a story but it looks OK (not me, honestly and I don't know the seller).

Edited by Force

I'm looking at one for a hundred less than the above price. I might have to go for it. I've seen the one on the bay but I'm too wary to go down that route. The box doesn't look like the others I've seen. How can a shop sell it for so low in relation to the RRP

I'm looking at one for a hundred less than the above price. I might have to go for it. I've seen the one on the bay but I'm too wary to go down that route. The box doesn't look like the others I've seen. How can a shop sell it for so low in relation to the RRP

If you find one for less, I can guarantee the original blue box, which has a rubberish type material coating, will be deteriorating. The last two I have seen on the bay, were mint, boxed, and they sold for £350 each.

This was the ebay pic of my Ruby...£230 delivered from Italy.

fpn_1359660995__ruby03.jpg

Edited by Force

It is a fantastic pen, shouldn't be any worries about those problems.

The pen is very stiff compared to others though.

Interesting...from the picture of the Invoice I punched in some of the numbers and it did take me to an Edson pen but certainly not one that I would call a competitive price. Yes, maybe one to steer clear of there.

By Googling I did manage to find new pens for £440.

Edited by Force

Hi Force. What do you mean by the ebay one? does it look a bit dodgy? I was going to put an offer in today. I can get a new one for £451 online but £385 from ebay sounds good to me.

I phoned the online shop and they emailed me pictures of the new box for the Edson and it matches the ebay one so all is good there. They have got rid of the rubber one that deteriorates. Looks like the new booklet doesn't have Edson on the front and looks rather generic from the outside.

Paul.

Hi Force. What do you mean by the ebay one? does it look a bit dodgy? I was going to put an offer in today. I can get a new one for £451 online but £385 from ebay sounds good to me.

I phoned the online shop and they emailed me pictures of the new box for the Edson and it matches the ebay one so all is good there. They have got rid of the rubber one that deteriorates. Looks like the new booklet doesn't have Edson on the front and looks rather generic from the outside.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

The eBay one @£385 appears to be genuine (no affiliation), though it has now sold by best offer. Seller states Amazon.co.uk error with pricing - I believe Amazon had this edson fp listed at £25.52(!) and that they dispatched at this price. Hopefully this will put your mind at rest that it is genuine if it was your offer that was accepted and even though the seller is making a very good profit, the listed price is the cheapest I've seen in a long time for this pen. Amazon also had a Waterman Exception Ideal fp for the same price which i was fortunately able to order (Amazon states rrp of £365, I expected a cancellation email but to my amazement it has been dispatched at £25.52 and is expected later today). Stuart.

Hi Paul,

The eBay one @£385 appears to be genuine (no affiliation), though it has now sold by best offer. Seller states Amazon.co.uk error with pricing - I believe Amazon had this edson fp listed at £25.52(!) and that they dispatched at this price. Hopefully this will put your mind at rest that it is genuine if it was your offer that was accepted and even though the seller is making a very good profit, the listed price is the cheapest I've seen in a long time for this pen. Amazon also had a Waterman Exception Ideal fp for the same price which i was fortunately able to order (Amazon states rrp of £365, I expected a cancellation email but to my amazement it has been dispatched at £25.52 and is expected later today). Stuart.

The seller says he had 2 and now has the other on offer. Now that's good business if he grabbed them for £50 the pair. He can afford to take an offer of say £375. I bet a few more of us are now regularly trolling the big A.

Well I have just trolled and found Carenes in Marine Amber for £107. Now while that is not such a good deal it is cheap.

Edited by Force

Hi Paul,

The seller says he had 2 and now has the other on offer. Now that's good business if he grabbed them for £50 the pair. He can afford to take an offer of say £375. I bet a few more of us are now regularly trolling the big A.

Well I have just trolled and found Carenes in Marine Amber for £107. Now while that is not such a good deal it is cheap.

Thought I had done well, but two edsons for 50 quid - amazing! Certainly worth keeping an eye on Amazon, my exception wasn't even in stock at time of order but they still sent a few days later.

Hi Paul,

A little more thought on this aspect. Looking at the Exceptions they appear for around £250 move the dec point and you get one for £25. Maybe the seller only had to pay £65 each basing this on the average price of £650. Still a good deal indeed. There also seems to be the old 'you gotta buy it now or miss it' trick...many sellers state only 2 left. Yet you move on and find they have 4 or 5 sales for the same pen....all showing only 2 left.

Hi everyone,

Yep it was me that put the winning bid in. I feel ripped off now ha ha. Thats some profit he made!

Hi everyone,

Yep it was me that put the winning bid in. I feel ripped off now ha ha. Thats some profit he made!

You must view it that you saved almost £100 :thumbup:

I may have saved more as I put a bid in ;)

Hi everyone,

Congratulations on your new edson! For a lot of people this seems to be their 'grail' pen (for a long time mine too). I'm trying not to put an offer on the second one lol. When I saw the first one listed I searched for an Amazon price tracking site (had seen people post tracking info on Amazon goods on a bargain hunting site) which confirmed the massive recent price drop to £25.52. He really has made quite a profit, especially as it appears he has bought at least two. Don't feel too ripped off, it's a beautiful pen at the current best price. Happy writing!

I can't wait to receive it now. I wonder who actually pays full price for these pens. I've seen a figure floating around of over £700