The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Do You Write Past The Right Hand Margin?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Do You Write Past The Right Hand Margin? (78 member(s) have cast votes)

Where do you stop writing?

1. The margin (39 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. The end of the paper (39 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Sandy1

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,349 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:02

For the stuff I write that's work-related I leave margins wide enough for marginalia and footnotes; and also work single-sided. Those measures leave me lots of room so that I can add stuff later on as needs be, hence avoid 'tipping in' pages which is frowned upon.

For personal writing, I make an effort to leave margins wide enough for comfortable handling of the sheet, so that if I happen to be using a less than robust ink it will not be smudged nor transferred to the readers' fingers; and avoid hyphenation. (I doubt that anyone adds marginalia etc. to my correspondence.)

​__ EDIT to add: Kindly consider what I call the 'tyranny of the page'. To give me a blank bit of paper is just a start - a landscape sheet from an A4 can evolve to an A3. Lots of room to roam. :) I welcome a blank A0; and more than a few of my friends have received personal letters written on a few such large sheets, rather than a sheaf of A4s. No origami was involved, just the ISO standard for folding. Perhaps the recipients thought, "Crikey mate, what's wrong with a post card? We don't need to paper the ceiling"

Edited by Sandy1, 11 June 2016 - 11:14.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Sponsored Content

#42 ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:02

Depending on the paper, but generally I write as far to the right as I can.
In fact on some paper, I write past the left margin also.
Why waste paper. No one else cares that I ignore the margin lines.

Edited by ac12, 11 June 2016 - 05:03.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 25-27, 2017 - Redwood City, California

#43 Pravda

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:42

For personal use, I guess no harm done to be economical and not run out of journals too soon. But I imagine for students in school, they should leave the margin for the teachers' comments.

Sponsored Content