FPN Quick Navigation

Photo

What Is Your Favorite 'big Four' German Pen Maker?

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite German Pen Company (305 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favorite German pen manufacturer?

1. Lamy (68 votes [22.37%])

Percentage of vote: 22.37%

2. Montblanc (58 votes [19.08%])

Percentage of vote: 19.08%

3. Pelikan (160 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

4. Voted Graf von Faber-Castell (18 votes [5.92%])

Percentage of vote: 5.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 hendrixstrat

hendrixstrat

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2013 - 22:46

I voted Pelikan because I love my M800. Granted I have not used a GvFC nor a Lamy, but I have used a MB 149 (my dad owns one) and it is a very nice pen as well. I suspect I would end up ranking them Pelikan, MB, GvFC, and then Lamy (ranking GvFC and Lamy purely on aesthetics as I have never used one).
Pelikan M800 - Green, M (want to trade for a F!)
TWSBI 540 - Amber, M
Bexley Corona - Orange, M
Parker Duofold Centennial - Black, M
Esterbrook LJ - Black, Gregg 1555 (EEF)
Parker 21 - Navy Blue, M
Sailor 1911 Large - Black, M
TWSBI 580 - Clear, M
Aurora 88 Large - Black w/ silver trim, Stub
Parker 51 - Burgundy, M
Gate City Pens New Dunn - Black, Stub
Conklin Endura - Green, M Italic

#82 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2013 - 23:23

Pelikan all the way for me. Beautiful, reliable, and relatively affordable.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

Logo3_zpsb7a0b845.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#83 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,675 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2013 - 15:02

Hmmm...interesting.

I voted for Pelikan, as that is about 90% of my collection. They are exactly what I want and expect in a pen, especially a German pen: classic styling, ease of use, reliable, and a consistently excellent performance.

That said, I've never tried a MB, although I'm very curious to. I have a single FC (not GvFC) Basic in carbon fiber, and it is a fantastic pen. It's my go-to for permanent inks; great writer, super-smooth nib, but not so expensive I will want to shoot myself if it gets messed up
Lamy look great and I've heard wonderful things about them, but I prefer the vintage look in my pens.

I think we call all pretty much agree they all make fantastic pens. I'm new to the hobby, and have only been collecting a year or so. I am eager to branch out. :smile:

However, I am a long time German car lover, so here's my impressions so far:

Lamy = Volkswagen. Great for beginners, reliable, reasonably priced, and enough to get you interested.

GvFC=Audi. High performance, consistently reliable, but not as well known and the styling may not be for everyone.

MB= Maybach. Solid underpinnings, never disappointing in performance, but definitely aimed at the elite with money to burn.

Pelikan = Mercedes-Benz. The Best of all options. Rock solid performance, classic styling, many options for many tastes, and durable enough your grandchildren will likely still have it & love it.

(P.S. If anyone has a MB they'd like to loan me.... :lticaptd: )

Good car comparison :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#84 UncleNick

UncleNick

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2013 - 20:34

This is a tough call!

My Lamy 2000 with a fantastic medium stubby nib switched from a Lamy 99 is my everyday pocket pen. Great line variation for a hooded nib.

One of my favorite nibs was a Montblanc 14 - beautifully smooth and wet (I stupidly sold it to finance a pen I turned out to loathe!). My 149, 147, 146 nibs are ok but when I get my act together they will be sold.

My Pelikan M800 is superbly reliable but the nib is firm and extremely boring. However, I have a MK20 which is a real pleasure to use - a little spring, great flow and a piston filler to boot.

Based upon today, this very minute - Lamy, Pelikan, Montblanc though it is very close. So many variations of pens and styles within a brand it is hard to do a single brand justice.

#85 Rose Nibs

Rose Nibs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 21:37

In an attempt to compare like with like I have considered my Lamy 2000, Pelikan M200, Montblanc Carrera and Faber Castell Emotion. All good pens, but the one I use most is the Pelikan

#86 jcable

jcable

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 23:21

I have 3 Montblancs, they are okay but not great. The pen that started it for me was Pelikan 200/250/205/400/405... I have 16 now and they are probably my favorite. That being said I love my Lamy 2000 (I have 9 Lamys). I think the Lamy 2000 is the best deal out there and also probably the most understated pen of them all. I find the prices of Pelikans to be out of control. The 200 was great as a first nice pen to get people hooked when they could be had for $60 dollars... but the prices of the 200 and Lamy 2000 should not be equivalent now. Pelikan is my favorite but they have priced me out of the market..

#87 LOGAN

LOGAN

Inky Preacher

• FPN Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:11

I voted. MB. Next would be Pelikan, then Lamy.

#88 larsbj

larsbj

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2013 - 18:35

Pelikan. Smooth, elegant and consistent writers. I currently have a 600 F (partial to the fpgeeks which convinced me to buy it. Haven't used it much, its a little too small for me), 640 Sahara M nib, 800 Fine, 805 Medium, 1000 Broad. Last three are always inked. Oh  yes, and a vintage M400 OB.

I also have a MB146 and have used it quite a lot earlier, and while it is stylish and elegant it is also a litte boring (no offense). Lamy is ok, even though i like the nib on the Safari but hate the section. And a L2K which I'm a little disappointed over (an XF).

Never owned or tried a GvFC, but they look good.

Favorite of the day: My Rosetta Magellan in mosaic w. Pendelton broad buttersmooth nib

#89 cadfael_tex

cadfael_tex

Pen Chappy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2013 - 20:16

Hmmm...interesting.

I voted for Pelikan, as that is about 90% of my collection. They are exactly what I want and expect in a pen, especially a German pen: classic styling, ease of use, reliable, and a consistently excellent performance.

That said, I've never tried a MB, although I'm very curious to. I have a single FC (not GvFC) Basic in carbon fiber, and it is a fantastic pen. It's my go-to for permanent inks; great writer, super-smooth nib, but not so expensive I will want to shoot myself if it gets messed up
Lamy look great and I've heard wonderful things about them, but I prefer the vintage look in my pens.

I think we call all pretty much agree they all make fantastic pens. I'm new to the hobby, and have only been collecting a year or so. I am eager to branch out. :smile:

However, I am a long time German car lover, so here's my impressions so far:

Lamy = Volkswagen. Great for beginners, reliable, reasonably priced, and enough to get you interested.

GvFC=Audi. High performance, consistently reliable, but not as well known and the styling may not be for everyone.

MB= Maybach. Solid underpinnings, never disappointing in performance, but definitely aimed at the elite with money to burn.

Pelikan = Mercedes-Benz. The Best of all options. Rock solid performance, classic styling, many options for many tastes, and durable enough your grandchildren will likely still have it & love it.

(P.S. If anyone has a MB they'd like to loan me.... :lticaptd: )

Not sure about the Pelikan equals Mercedes comparison, my Pelikans have been good writers and not poorly engineered pieces of junk. (Still bitter about a new c class I bought that was a total lemon lol)

I only have experience with Lamy (2000 and Safaris) and Pelikan (M205, M215, 140). Haven't liked the feel of the Lamy nibs but the Pelikans have been my favorite writers.

#90 Offret

Offret

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:04

I can't get over Pelikan's design, so they're my favorite. But I do appreciate the design of the other three.

x2.

Pelikan is the quintessential European fountain pen--for me at least. 

[Sponsored Content]