What Is Your Favorite 'big Four' German Pen Maker?

superfreeka

Favorite German Pen Company  

350 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite German pen manufacturer?

• Lamy
    • Montblanc
    • Pelikan
    • Graf von Faber-Castell

I voted Pelikan because I love my M800. Granted I have not used a GvFC nor a Lamy, but I have used a MB 149 (my dad owns one) and it is a very nice pen as well. I suspect I would end up ranking them Pelikan, MB, GvFC, and then Lamy (ranking GvFC and Lamy purely on aesthetics as I have never used one).

Pelikan M800 - Green, M (want to trade for a F!)

TWSBI 540 - Amber, M

Bexley Corona - Orange, M

Parker Duofold Centennial - Black, M

Esterbrook LJ - Black, Gregg 1555 (EEF)

Parker 21 - Navy Blue, M

Sailor 1911 Large - Black, M

TWSBI 580 - Clear, M

Aurora 88 Large - Black w/ silver trim, Stub

Parker 51 - Burgundy, M

Gate City Pens New Dunn - Black, Stub

Conklin Endura - Green, M Italic

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• humsin

• Joker4Eva

• jar

• mirosc

Pelikan all the way for me. Beautiful, reliable, and relatively affordable.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

• 1 month later...

Hmmm...interesting.

I voted for Pelikan, as that is about 90% of my collection. They are exactly what I want and expect in a pen, especially a German pen: classic styling, ease of use, reliable, and a consistently excellent performance.

That said, I've never tried a MB, although I'm very curious to. I have a single FC (not GvFC) Basic in carbon fiber, and it is a fantastic pen. It's my go-to for permanent inks; great writer, super-smooth nib, but not so expensive I will want to shoot myself if it gets messed up

Lamy look great and I've heard wonderful things about them, but I prefer the vintage look in my pens.

I think we call all pretty much agree they all make fantastic pens. I'm new to the hobby, and have only been collecting a year or so. I am eager to branch out. :smile:

However, I am a long time German car lover, so here's my impressions so far:

Lamy = Volkswagen. Great for beginners, reliable, reasonably priced, and enough to get you interested.

GvFC=Audi. High performance, consistently reliable, but not as well known and the styling may not be for everyone.

MB= Maybach. Solid underpinnings, never disappointing in performance, but definitely aimed at the elite with money to burn.

Pelikan = Mercedes-Benz. The Best of all options. Rock solid performance, classic styling, many options for many tastes, and durable enough your grandchildren will likely still have it & love it.

(P.S. If anyone has a MB they'd like to loan me.... :lticaptd: )

Good car comparison :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 5 months later...

This is a tough call!

My Lamy 2000 with a fantastic medium stubby nib switched from a Lamy 99 is my everyday pocket pen. Great line variation for a hooded nib.

One of my favorite nibs was a Montblanc 14 - beautifully smooth and wet (I stupidly sold it to finance a pen I turned out to loathe!). My 149, 147, 146 nibs are ok but when I get my act together they will be sold.

My Pelikan M800 is superbly reliable but the nib is firm and extremely boring. However, I have a MK20 which is a real pleasure to use - a little spring, great flow and a piston filler to boot.

Based upon today, this very minute - Lamy, Pelikan, Montblanc though it is very close. So many variations of pens and styles within a brand it is hard to do a single brand justice.

In an attempt to compare like with like I have considered my Lamy 2000, Pelikan M200, Montblanc Carrera and Faber Castell Emotion. All good pens, but the one I use most is the Pelikan

I have 3 Montblancs, they are okay but not great. The pen that started it for me was Pelikan 200/250/205/400/405... I have 16 now and they are probably my favorite. That being said I love my Lamy 2000 (I have 9 Lamys). I think the Lamy 2000 is the best deal out there and also probably the most understated pen of them all. I find the prices of Pelikans to be out of control. The 200 was great as a first nice pen to get people hooked when they could be had for $60 dollars... but the prices of the 200 and Lamy 2000 should not be equivalent now. Pelikan is my favorite but they have priced me out of the market..

Pelikan. Smooth, elegant and consistent writers. I currently have a 600 F (partial to the fpgeeks which convinced me to buy it. Haven't used it much, its a little too small for me), 640 Sahara M nib, 800 Fine, 805 Medium, 1000 Broad. Last three are always inked. Oh yes, and a vintage M400 OB.

I also have a MB146 and have used it quite a lot earlier, and while it is stylish and elegant it is also a litte boring (no offense). Lamy is ok, even though i like the nib on the Safari but hate the section. And a L2K which I'm a little disappointed over (an XF).

Never owned or tried a GvFC, but they look good.

Favorite of the day: Nakaya Naka-ai Heki tame.

Hmmm...interesting.

I voted for Pelikan, as that is about 90% of my collection. They are exactly what I want and expect in a pen, especially a German pen: classic styling, ease of use, reliable, and a consistently excellent performance.

That said, I've never tried a MB, although I'm very curious to. I have a single FC (not GvFC) Basic in carbon fiber, and it is a fantastic pen. It's my go-to for permanent inks; great writer, super-smooth nib, but not so expensive I will want to shoot myself if it gets messed up

Lamy look great and I've heard wonderful things about them, but I prefer the vintage look in my pens.

I think we call all pretty much agree they all make fantastic pens. I'm new to the hobby, and have only been collecting a year or so. I am eager to branch out. :smile:

However, I am a long time German car lover, so here's my impressions so far:

Lamy = Volkswagen. Great for beginners, reliable, reasonably priced, and enough to get you interested.

GvFC=Audi. High performance, consistently reliable, but not as well known and the styling may not be for everyone.

MB= Maybach. Solid underpinnings, never disappointing in performance, but definitely aimed at the elite with money to burn.

Pelikan = Mercedes-Benz. The Best of all options. Rock solid performance, classic styling, many options for many tastes, and durable enough your grandchildren will likely still have it & love it.

(P.S. If anyone has a MB they'd like to loan me.... :lticaptd: )

Not sure about the Pelikan equals Mercedes comparison, my Pelikans have been good writers and not poorly engineered pieces of junk. (Still bitter about a new c class I bought that was a total lemon lol)

I only have experience with Lamy (2000 and Safaris) and Pelikan (M205, M215, 140). Haven't liked the feel of the Lamy nibs but the Pelikans have been my favorite writers.

I can't get over Pelikan's design, so they're my favorite. But I do appreciate the design of the other three.

x2.

Pelikan is the quintessential European fountain pen--for me at least.

• 1 year later...

I chose Pelikan. Comparable in name to Montblanc but cheaper; comparable in build quality to Lamy but Lamy is too mechanical; materials are not as nice as Graf von Faber-Castell but the Pelikan nib performs much better.

Thanks, couldn't say better.

I had more issues with Pelikans than with my Lamy and MB pens (I tried a GvFC a few times, but never bought one). Still, the birds are classic, so Pelikans is my #1 German brand.

Surprised that Rotting isn't mentioned more often.

Forget Graf Von.

Faber Castell produce excellent fountain pens, with better nibs than most - and at lower prices. The Looms I've got have got the best nibs, than any pen I've come across under £40.

In addition, Diplomat produce unfussy, bomb proof pens that just work. Easy to maintain and again, with superb nibs.

My first German pen was a Pelikan M200 and I was hooked. Like many others I love Lamy design but have mixed feelings about their performance. Montblanc, well....$$$$$$$.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Lamy does not seem to even be in the same class as the other three. Perhaps I am missing something. Love Pel & MB.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Even though Montblanc has become the Louis Vuitton of pens, they are still my favorite German brand. I think Graf von Faber-Castell makes some of the best quality pens money can buy but I have not found one yet that was overly comfortable to use. I have sweaty hands (gross I know) so a metal grip (which Graf Vons have) is a black mark in my book.

I could NEVER use a metal grip. Just the THOUGHT gives me the creeps. (Sorry, it is THAT bad)

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

I really love my Pels and the Lamy Safari's I have are the best writers in their class. However I am quite the fan of MBs and have collected them since the early 1980s.

My latest acquisition: 1955 Green Striated Set MB 142.

19627048041_f73126f827_o_d.jpg

18749023260_c935a2b177_o_d.jpg

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

I prefer my 149 to the m1000 but there is something about the m1000 that I can't get over.

Regards,

Simar

"Be the change you want to see in the world." -- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Interesting choice. MB and GFC are expensive and well known but certainly not big manufacturers. From the options I would pick Pelikan, no experience with GFC to be honest, only bad experiences with MB, Lamy is school/officepens, they work well but a bit boring in appearance. My choice for German pens would be KaWeCo. Can't go wrong with a Dia :notworthy1:

Lamy does not seem to even be in the same class as the other three. Perhaps I am missing something. Love Pel & MB.

I agree, I have the Lamy 2000 and I don't really see anything much interesting. Also, after one use the bottom of the inner cap had more rust than no name pens that I bought for 2 dollars and are probably more than 60 years old.

I don't have a MB, since I don't like cigar shaped pens. Eventually I will get a 146 and 149 just for completeness, but I'm in no hurry. The only WE that attracts me (and only mildly so) is the Daniel Defoe. Still, that is a matter of preference and I believe that they are nice pens.

GvFCs are gorgeous, but either too thin or too short. Still, my wife has an Intuition and I have an Elemento. The nibs are very good, but I still prefer the Pelikan nibs. Besides, the Elemento is out for repair since it came with a defective filling system (to get a C/C wrong is really an achievement :( ).

Thus, I vote Pelikans. They all feel right in my hands, from the M200 to the M1000, I love the design and the piston is great. In fact, every time I decide to buy a FP it is very hard to even think of anything else (just checked and in the last 10 months 28 birds flew into my house. So, I believe we might have a collective case of bird flu in my house :) ).