What Is Your Favorite 'big Four' German Pen Maker?

superfreeka

Favorite German Pen Company  

350 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite German pen manufacturer?

• Lamy
    • Montblanc
    • Pelikan
    • Graf von Faber-Castell

Of these, I only have a Lamy. (AL Star)

Haven't used any of the others either.

Considering a Pelikan M2xx in the next 4-6 weeks. The more I see it that one with the green barrels draws me in. And the price is good.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• humsin

• Joker4Eva

• jar

• ronw

Top Posters In This Topic

Not voting - love my Montblancs and Pelikans equally-I equate this poll to picking which of your children you love more - not a fair question

Edited by yolrgrand

I find these results somewhat surprising. I thought Montblanc would be more popular.

Why?

I thought Montblanc has around the same number if not more supporters than Pelikan. Pelikan support exceeded my expectations, in a good way of course!!

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

LAmy quality variable

Peliklan nibs too inconsistent

MB over priced and afraid to like in presence of cogniscenti

I have an Elysee that is a fabulous writer and my Cleo Skribent is really growing on me. Rapidly becoming my favorite. i want to try Geha

LAmy quality variable

Peliklan nibs too inconsistent

MB over priced and afraid to like in presence of cogniscenti

I have an Elysee that is a fabulous writer and my Cleo Skribent is really growing on me. Rapidly becoming my favorite. i want to try Geha

Pity that Geha's no longer around. They still can be had, albeit for way higher prices.

There're still many nice German manufacturers that aren't around anymore that I haven't tried. Bo Bo Olson has compiled quite a list, but I'm happy enough with where I am now, with my Geha.

Am currently on the lookout for Haro pens with glass nibs. Want to know how it feels to write with one. Bo Bo Olson always advises one to "chase the nib" when buying fountain pens. This nib is one that I'd like to get!

MB, simply because of being the fountain pens my gramps used...

Memory being what it is and hating most new MBs as I do... I still love the way I instantly remember him when I see one. The way I still write with his monterosa or the 334 1/2... the way I can part with any pen in my collection if need be, except those 2...

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

I don't own a MB so I'll summarize my limited experience with pens from 3 of the "big 4" German manufacturers listed by the OP that I rotate for everyday use at work:

Lamy:

•  
  • A Safari was the first 'non-disposable' fountain pen I ever tried and I bought a few in different colours (M17, L14, L16, and L19) with different nib sizes (XF, F, and M). The nibs are easy to exchange. I have since bought different brands of fountain pens in the same price range and, to me, the Lamy Safaris feel like $20 pens. All of mine have occasional start-up difficulty (especially if left uncapped for a few minutes) and the nibs don't feel all that smooth (though I've experienced worse). They don't seem to like the Pelikan Brilliant Black ink I use in all my work pens and they don't leave a crisp, black line; Lamy black ink works better with these pens. The Safari cost me more than the Pelikan P55 Future and doesn't write nearly as smoothly. I've never tried out a Lamy 2000 but to be honest I don't care much for the look of them so I wouldn't shell out $200 for one.

Pelikan:

I have 2 Pelikans that I have used quite a bit:

•  
  • Pelikan 12 Silvexa (M20) c. 1969 - c. 1977 with an EF nib (that I unintentionally destroyed while cleaning the metal cap with an alcohol prep stick, capping it before allowing the alcohol to completely evaporate ... I'm waiting for parts that were donated by a sympathetic FPN member). My first impression was that the nib was too fine in comparison to the ("disposable") Pilot V-Pens I used to use. Still, I enjoyed writing with the pen despite it feeling a little dry and scratchy. I'm waiting to receive a loupe I ordered so I can examine the nib for damage. It was (and will be, once fixed) a decent pen every for day writing. It never skipped.

• New Pelikan P55 Future. I use this pen most because I love the way it writes. It's one of the only FPs I own that lays a crisp, black line with Pelikan Brilliant Black ink and I have yet to have any problems with start up, even if I forget to cap it for a while. Its ergonomic design, light weight and nib feel make it my favorite EDC pen and it doesn't look pretentious at work.

Faber Castell

•  
  • I have a Faber Castell "basic" Fountain Pen in black carbon. The attention to detail is stunning! The more I look at it, the more I wonder how such a pen can sell for so little. It's a true bargain for the $30 I paid for it and it writes even better than my most-used Pelikan. Honestly, it feels and writes as well as my Visconti Rembrandt. The nib material may be less expensive than the Visconti's, but I can't tell the difference in quality when writing with either pen. The Faber Castell is almost too nice a pen to leave on my desk. Basic? I think not! It weighs in at a hefty 40g and the rubber grip over the section is firm and doesn't slip when writing. Unposted, the pen is perfectly balanced. Even with the fine nib, it is a wet pen that is as smooth as my Visconti M.

I voted for Faber Castell. If I were to be asked what my favorite "looking" pen of all time is, it would be the Pen of the year 2011 Graf von Faber-Castell.

Aiden

the fantasy of inviolacy

As a college student, it's Lamy for me. They're on the cheaper side, can take a beating and hold a good ink amount. I haven't had one not perform well for me yet.

“Left-handers are wired into the artistic half of the brain, which makes them imaginative, creative, surprising, ambiguous, exasperating, stubborn, emotional, witty, obsessive, infuriating, delightful, original, but never, never, dull" James T deKay and Sandy Huffaker

I have 6 Pelikans, 2 vintage and 4 modern. I love them all and they've all functioned flawlessly from the beginning. Of all the pens I've owned or used my Pelikans are hard to beat.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

It is a very hard decision to made. I have no experience with the old pencil maker.

Lamy 2000 is just the best performance/price value.

MB 149 is so reliable and I learned what is smoothness from this pen.

Finally I gave my vote to Pelikan. The reason is I do not have a modern MB with a springy nib as M1000 and the 18k nib of my M620 is quite as smooth as my 149. I do have some 1960's MB pens with springy (flex) nibs, but they do not count for nowadays' competition.

My knowledge on MB is quite limited. If there are some currently produced MB pens with flex or springy nibs, please kindly let me know and I would like to try. :thumbup:

Edited by asaha

I find these results somewhat surprising. I thought Montblanc would be more popular.

Why?

I thought Montblanc has around the same number if not more supporters than Pelikan. Pelikan support exceeded my expectations, in a good way of course!!

Still, keep in mind that it's just one poll that's being taken at only this specific time (there's many members of this forum; not all of them are around all the time and may not yet have seen it or even bothered to vote if they had).

But I can understand the "surprise" of the results thus far. It may not be indicative of anything at all really, but when you look at the number of threads in the Montblanc forum, they do clearly outweigh the number of threads in the Pelikan forum. And on that, the number of actual replies in the MB forum is pretty much double that of Pelikan's. (though it could just be a case of those discussing MB being generally more chatty - or perhaps it's just because the MB forum is flooded with "Is this pen I got from somewhere dodgy real!?")

Give it more time; 150 votes cast out of 70,000+ members doesn't really mean so much (yet).

Why?

Still, keep in mind that it's just one poll that's being taken at only this specific time (there's many members of this forum; not all of them are around all the time and may not yet have seen it or even bothered to vote if they had).

But I can understand the "surprise" of the results thus far. It may not be indicative of anything at all really, but when you look at the number of threads in the Montblanc forum, they do clearly outweigh the number of threads in the Pelikan forum. And on that, the number of actual replies in the MB forum is pretty much double that of Pelikan's. (though it could just be a case of those discussing MB being generally more chatty - or perhaps it's just because the MB forum is flooded with "Is this pen I got from somewhere dodgy real!?")

Give it more time; 150 votes cast out of 70,000+ members doesn't really mean so much (yet).

True. I cast a vote for Pelikan and I hardly visit the Pelikan forum.

Pelikan: absolutely no contest.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Torn between GvFC and MB, but decided MB since they have more models from which to choose and I've loved the writing qualities of nearly all of them I've owned. However, the GvFC Elemento (Olive wood), is my favorite number one German pen. I just can't manage to acquire (m)any more of them! But the poll refers to favorite overall maker, not individual pen, so.......

Of my six Pelikans I've owned, 3 required factory returns or fixes (two for piston issues). That said, my Polar Lights is nearly always with me. But the MB's (mostly Meisterstucks) and GvFC feel better ergonomically to my hand than do most the Pelikans I've used.

I can't be thought of as being pretentious at work. My colleagues are -- in the main -- absolutely clueless about with what I write. I get called that for other reasons. (Go figure!)

One more reason to appreciate this forum -- there really is no universality when it comes to taste and preference. It makes one appreciate the individual anecdote and experience. Beyond needing water, food, clothing and shelter, with their iterations and extensions, we've pretty much diverged over the aeons.

(Now, there's pretentious!! Heh.)

Is there a particular reason as to why Graf von Faber-Castell is lagging behind so much?

To me, Pelikan. First because they are very good and smooth pens, and second, because when you take it out of your pocket, only those who know something about FP understand that you are using and expensive one. I am a doctor, and some of my patients come to my clinic because of economic problems. In that situation, I cannot use a U$1000 pen, famous because it is expensive. I understand it is a personal issue, but is the way in which things work in my country.

I have a Lamy Vista & a Geha School pen. Neither really inspire me.

The engineering on the Lamy is amazing, but as a pen it's not great.

The Geha is nice to write with, but I hate fine nibs, and it has one.

So, I really have no idea which manufacturer I prefer.

Regards,

Richard.