My Great Esterbrook Find

Brian Anderson

Ok, so I've talked about this elsewhere on the web, and neglected our own humble forum here. This is the most significant esterbrook purchase in probably ten years.

I just recently acquired this pen on a whim by bidding on a cruddy ebay auction. Classic bad picture, bad description, but I knew what I was looking at. When it showed up, I could hardly believe it. An Aikin Lambert made Esterbrook in RHR. Complete with original 14ct nib and perfect imprint. I have never seen another and didn't knew it existed until I saw it. A clip less pen, but had an accommodation clip on it when I received it. Since it was not an Aikin Mercantile clip or anything remotely correct, I removed it, but still have it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Best-

Brian

http://www.esterbrook.net/collection/rhr314.jpg

Note typical Aikin oval ended lever

http://www.esterbrook.net/collection/rhr3142.jpg

http://www.esterbrook.net/collection/rhr314_o.jpg

http://www.esterbrook.net/collection/rhr314_feed.jpg

Nice touch with RHR feed

http://www.esterbrook.net/collection/rhr314_imprint.jpg

Perfect imprint, interestingly without the typical "Reiief 314" line often found on Aikin Lambert made Esterbrook. This one is perfect, every part is clearly visible.

http://www.esterbrook.net/collection/r314nib.jpg

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian Anderson

• pajaro

• pal38

• Harlequin

WOW! That's a first for my eyes! Does that nib have a feed? It looks very different. Is the pen in writing condition? Will you clean it up?

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Wow! What a find!

Never caught my eye on eBay, because I was tuned on black and red/black mottled and never expected a red!

Congaratulations, Brian!

By the way, The imprint "R. Esterbrook & Co. / made in USA" is exactly the same as on my black BCHR A.L. pen.

swisspenpal

That is the nib on the pen. I have restored the pen, but the nib really needs to re-tipped for it to be in good writing condition. Since it is so rare, I'll probably just leave it as is for now.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does RHR mean?

I believe it means red hard rubber.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Wow, that pen is... orange....

Nice find. My experience with/knowledge of Esterbrooks tends to be with the J series pens, and a friend of mine let me try his Dollar pen because he had a flexy nib on it. But if it's new to *you* that's really saying something.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

What makes this find especially great for me is that not only is it something I have never seen before, but I collect a lot of hard rubber pens, and Aikin Lambert especially tops the list for their high quality and workmanship. To have a Red hard rubber pen (not nearly as comon as other forms) by Aikin FOR Esterbrook is win-win-win! :) :)

:puddle: Wow, that is sweet!

I'm trying to remember when Waterman took over Aikin Lambert, this pen has to predate the take over.

Couldn't have found a better home. Big congratulations, Brian!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I learned something new today. I thought AL made under their own name and for Waterman. They are super high quality pens. I get the impression that the furniture on my 1927 jade is gold and not just plated.

Excellent and thanks for sharing, but since that is the first one you have seen and the rest of us will probably never see one unless we catch you at a show, I am not sure we are ready to consider RHR "normal" for Esties : :puddle:

Excellent and thanks for sharing, but since that is the first one you have seen and the rest of us will probably never see one unless we catch you at a show, I am not sure we are ready to consider RHR "normal" for Esties : :puddle:

I probably won't be dragging this one around to shows, although the boys in Little Rock are trying to convince me to bring it this year. If I do, it will be a one time only excursion. :)

I'm still looking for words...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Wow, that pen is... orange....

Nice find. My experience with/knowledge of Esterbrooks tends to be with the J series pens, and a friend of mine let me try his Dollar pen because he had a flexy nib on it. But if it's new to *you* that's really saying something.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

That's exactly what I thought, lol. I would have never described that pen as "red", but I don't know how red something like that would even be! Looks interesting though. As a matter of fact, earlier tonight I just learned about Aiken Lamberts too!

That's about as red as they could make hard rubber back in the day, any redder and it got too brittle.

I'm coming back to this thread again and again to have a look at this marvellous red pen.

You really hit the jackpot here, Brian.

swisspenpal