Design Your Own Pen! I Want To Hear Your Thoughts!

Bryant

Bryant, you have done some nice LE pens, but all are beyond my budget. So, for me, price is key: under $250 would be great. This would require some compromises but would allow you to get some new customers (who might buy other pens from you and the mfr later).

Suggestions:

--Resin body (to keep cost down).

--Steel nib (ditto).

--Clever filling system, since that is key to many users. Vacuum or piston, perhaps.

--Include options for stub and perhaps italic nibs.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• raging.dragon

• ele

• Bryant

• mongrelnomad

Bryant, you have done some nice LE pens, but all are beyond my budget. So, for me, price is key: under $250 would be great. This would require some compromises but would allow you to get some new customers (who might buy other pens from you and the mfr later).

Suggestions:

--Steel nib (ditto).

--Clever filling system, since that is key to many users. Vacuum or piston, perhaps.

The Delta Fusion 82 would fit your budget, though it's a c/c filler. If one shoehorned a Delta piston mechanism into one of those, it'd be an interesting pen.

Edited by raging.dragon

Suggestions:

--Steel nib (ditto).

I'm in the same boat! A edition under or at $250 would be really awesome. I think I would rather have a titanium nib if possible though. A resin body is fine, as long as it is interesting stuff. Bryant, could you ask Stipula if they would be interested in making a Dunn filling pen? Like the ones used on 1930's vintage OMAS...basically a Vacumatic filler without a diaphragm to worry about. I don't think it is that complicated to do. Maybe not...

So there have been many threads on what would be your perfect pen. I know I personally have started one or two over the years. But over the years Ive developed great relationships with the Pen Makers and Distributors. So most of the time, the threads are dream pens, I would like to actually hear what you would actually want.

Of the Italian Pens I sell, Delta and Stipula are the most open to do projects for me, because of the volume of LE projects I do with them. Stipula in particular is very open and its a pretty much "anything goes", with in reason of course. They are very open minded and willing to try new things.

Just to give you an example of a few things they have done.

Faceted Etruria

Wood pens

Many overlays/Demos

Specialized clips with any motif

Carbon Fiber Pens

Leather pens (in the works now)

And they are willing to do sizes and use materials/styles/finishes that they have never used in the past.

Visconti and Omas are open to projects, but the minimums are quite high and can be a large hurdle at times. Both are ussually about the hundred mark, and if its too good an idea, well then you see it at a much larger scaleglare.gif. And they normally only want to do as shape done in the past. Delta is open to change and do different shapes, but its a little harder to convince.

So, I would love to hear what you would actually want.

A few guidelines on what would be most helpful. Of course, does not have to limit to these things though.

-Nib (Gold, Titanium, Fusion, palladium?)

-Base Material (Celluloid, Resin, Wood, Overlay, Painted, Demo?...)

-Filling System

-Trim (gold Vermeil, silver, Steel, does this matter as much as the pen itself you?)

-Shape, Size, Weight

-Trim Style (Classic, Motif, clipless?)

-Price point (I was not going to put this, but I think its a realistic question for what a pen is being offered for)

So have fun with it! I am all about giving my customers exactly what they want! So if I can design the perfect pen for you, it would be my honor!

My contribution is Omas Vintage paragon.... One pen.....

Omas Wild Thing Vintage paragon with a mix of furniture. In other words the large band and clip in gold or rg and the rings in white. Now what I would really love is to see the Arco Bronze in that rare configuration. There's something so freaking cool about the vintage 149's with that,and I think those vintage paragons with that would be off the charts......

I'm in the same boat! A edition under or at $250 would be really awesome. I think I would rather have a titanium nib if possible though. A resin body is fine, as long as it is interesting stuff. Bryant, could you ask Stipula if they would be interested in making a Dunn filling pen? Like the ones used on 1930's vintage OMAS...basically a Vacumatic filler without a diaphragm to worry about. I don't think it is that complicated to do. Maybe not...

Call me crazy, but it sounds like you are asking Stipula to make a modern reproduction of a vintage OMAS Lucens.

BTW-Armando Simoni patented his filling system so while it is similar in concept to a Dunn, we probably should refer to it by the proper name, stantuffo tuffante. The filling system is fairly simple with three pieces not including the cork seal. They are somewhat painful to service.

Frankly, I would be interested in any pen from any of the four companies that replicated the transparent barrel pens of the mid to late 1930's. e.g. the OMAS Lucens or Extra Lucens, Aurora Optima, Tibaldi Trasparente, etc. Of course keeping the right barrel and cap shape, size, and proportion. i.e. no modern OMAS monstrosities. A transparent spiral barrel ala OMAS Lucens would be cool.

A no-brainer for OMAS would be to re-introduce the OMAS 361. They still have the bronze Arco material for that pen.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Call me crazy, but it sounds like you are asking Stipula to make a modern reproduction of a vintage OMAS Lucens.

BTW-Armando Simoni patented his filling system so while it is similar in concept to a Dunn, we probably should refer to it by the proper name, stantuffo tuffante. The filling system is fairly simple with three pieces not including the cork seal. They are somewhat painful to service.

Frankly, I would be interested in any pen from any of the four companies that replicated the transparent barrel pens of the mid to late 1930's. e.g. the OMAS Lucens or Extra Lucens, Aurora Optima, Tibaldi Trasparente, etc. Of course keeping the right barrel and cap shape, size, and proportion. i.e. no modern OMAS monstrosities. A transparent spiral barrel ala OMAS Lucens would be cool.

A no-brainer for OMAS would be to re-introduce the OMAS 361. They still have the bronze Arco material for that pen.

Kind of. But it doesn't have to look like an omas...I just think that pen should have that awesome filling system (stantufo tuffante you call it). Maybe it could be like a smaller sized Eturia. I want it to be a stipula because they seem to be better at producing amazing pens at lower prices than OMAS. +10000 to the idea of a transparent barrel!!

Edited by ele

Any pen using a stacked celluloid like that of the vintage Parker vacumatics (and the OMAS extras, of course). Preferably Omas, preferably in the Ogiva shape.

Choice of colours, choice of furnitures. Who could possible say no?

Too many pens; too little writing.

I'd love to see a pen with a cracked ice / mother of pearl type body like on the original Visconti ripples, but then with the tiniest bit of blue mixed in. I'd also like to be able to see more of the cracked ice as on the ripples. It would be cool if the overlay had a mechanical theme like seeing some sprockets and bridges like a nice mechanical watch. Seeing something like the right portion of this folded around the pen, but then a bit more opened up and in one color would be awesome!

http://lisagawlas.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/watch.jpg

The trim/overlay would be rhodium to give the pen a real cool (as in not warm) look.

A DRPF would be cool, with a matching rhodinated end piece.

Nib would be the palladium DT two tone nib to break all the coolness a little.

I'd love to see this color of blue mixed in the cracked ice a very little bit (like as tiny as possible flecks), as it is the most beautiful I've seen in a pen yet:

http://sandiegojewelrypawnshops.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mont-blanc.jpg

Price, phew that's a hard one, I would hope something like this would be possible for <$1000 seeing if Visconti would made something like this, they have 90% of the technique and pieces ready I guess.

Edited by Chopper88

I do like the idea of a body shape based on the MB 139👍

So do MB's legal department :roflmho:

Too many pens; too little writing.

Let me give it a try...

-Nib: Gold with flex (or anything, as long as it has true flex)

-Base Material: Resin. Black cap, coral body, black end cap

-Filling System: Piston filler

-Trim: Steel (as long as it silvery, I can live with it)

-Shape, Size, Weight: 14 cm capped, heavy, flat top and hexagonal with rounded edges? Like a cross between a vintage MB and a Kaweco. With a decent ink window.

-Trim Style: Clipless with a loop on top? :)

-Price point: no idea... Something like this I'd gladly fork a nice penny, but currently my budget would be up to 250€

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

Nib: PB would be nice, but that would probably automatically mean Visconti. Otherwise, 14 ct gold or excellent quality steel steel and it would to have some spring to it. I don't need flex as that does not suit my writing style. And above all, it should be available in medium/broad stub and/or italic.

Base material: I fancy an ebonite pen sometime in my future, otherwise celluloid or resin, possibly transparent. No overlay, although I do like the Ripples and Skeletons.

Filling: I'm good with pistons or converter as well as the twin-tank power filler. You will never sell me an eyedropper.

Trim: white metal, sparingly used.

Size: my favourite pen size, length as well as girth, is the Pelikan M800, but bigger is no problem. A bit of weight is welcome, if well balanced. I very much like the style of the '30s MB flat tops, timelessly elegant pens. I think the Delta DV's are missing something here. A 139 look alike would be very cool, but as already mentioned, you would probably make many new acquaintances in MB's legal department. But you get the idea.

Trim style: understated. One of my most favourite pens in this respect is the Omas MoMA. So no ornamental clips. I appreciate and admire the craftsmanship that goes into that, but not on my pen please.

Price: something like $ 750, maybe $ 1000 if it meets all the above criteria (as in every single one), but I'm pretty sure that over 750 I'll decline.

I'm quite sure this does not help you at all.

Cheers,

Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

How are we all going to decide which one to make? ;) Maybe Bryant should after more entries are posted, make a poll, and then that will give some feedback?

-Resin

-Dark Blue/marbled

-14/18c nib

-piston or C/C

-silver (rhodium) trim

-silver ring near section/threads (like old SE OMAS paragons)

-"Cigar" shaped

-understated clip (i.e. old omas 360)

-m600 sized (NO oversize)

-$400 with piston, $300 c/c

Love the thread! :cloud9:

Dan

"Well, at least being into pens isn't a gross habit. Like smoking or whatever."

"Ahh, thanks?"

-My coworker Christine.

Now, on to what I'd like to see from Stipula.

An oversized Eturia made from Tibaldi Imperio celluloid that costs significantly less than the Bertinoro. Trim like the Cracked Ice 991 (brushed Ruthenium plated Silver) would be perfect. Stipula's power filler would be nice as I don't have one of those, but piston or c/c would be fine if required to meet the price point. I like Stipula's 14K nibs, but again Titanium or Steel would be fine if required to meet a price point.

And finally, from Visconti I'd like to see an Opera Master with Smartouch nib, mosquito attachment, double resevoir power filler, and bayonet-style (hook safe lock) cap retention. I like Visonti's standard clip and trim, perhaps in Stainless Steel for durability and low price? I presume this is an idea Visonti might make into a regular production model; however, an interesting resin (perhaps one or more of those from the Van Gogh series and/or Diamond Jubilee LE?) or celluloid would still make a good Chatterly variant.

Edited by raging.dragon

A waterman turquoise with celluloid with a plunger filler and a conical nib. Platinum trims and .41" grip size would be perfect. Have two pens an oversize and a regular m146 size would be perfect.

If you are doing some pens please do some vintage looks. Retro is in! Bring back some new versions of old popular vintage celluloids. Even with a twist. Silver trims all the way!

: post-63473-0-02472500-1299793883.jpg

Celluloid essential - and this one would be fabulous!!!

Gold nib (with some flex)

Size of Bryant's recent LE facetted stipula (love it)

Piston filler

Like facetted rather than plain

and like the idea of 3 or 4 rings on the base of the cap (prefer siliver).

As for clip - llike the idea of playing with this (without being too silly) - love a steam punk theme, or maybe a snake?

Edited by youstruckgold

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Don't know if this is possible, but I'd love to see a piston filler demonstrator with not the typical cylindrical ink section, but one that had a different sort of design in it, such as waves or even grooves or spikes.

Imagine the ink section looking something like one of these sculptures http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5Zzm2TXh4.

Its rather far fetched but boy would that be an interesting pen. Obviously there would be heaps of limitations of design but I reckon the concept would be really cool.

A 149 sized skeleton pen, 14k nib, piston fill, less than $1k.

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB