CAT ATTACKS PELIKAN IN CALIFORNIA HOME

smudgy

A California woman, Vanessa, 29, was shocked this morning to discover her young pelikan asleep on the floor of her office. After quickly ascertaining the animal's condition, she deduced that the unfortunate bird must have been assaulted by her cat sometime during the night and was then left to sleep, exhausted, lonely and cold, on the floor.

Irish, 3, is normally allowed to come and go in the office as he pleases; the door is left open so that he may bird watch in the early morning hours. This morning, however, he apparently discovered that there was a more interesting bird in the office rather than outside: a German honey-colored pelikan, snoozing peacefully on the large roll-top desk.

The pelikan was unharmed and suffered only a mild shaking up. No tooth or claw marks were found on its body. No damage was done to its beak, which remained enclosed in its protective covering. Vanessa finds this particularly lucky, as damage to its beak could have eventually led to death by starvation. "It could have been a lot worse," she says. "Irish could have caused some real damage if he wanted to. Just look at the back of my couch."

Normally, birds and other animals are left unharmed throughout the night, so the reason for the attack remains a mystery. The bird had been in Vanessa's house for less than twenty-four hours, and it appears that the attack was unprovoked. When asked if he had a particular interest in pelikans over other animals, the cat's only response was a resounding "meow."

The cat remains at large in the home, but precautions are being taken to prevent further attacks.

Vanessa

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smudgy

• AlanSteytler

• Maja

• georgem

ROFLMAO!

Glad to hear the Pelikan is ok......

kathy wc

We find rest in those we love, and we provide a resting place in ourselves for those who love us.--Bernard of Clairvaux

Hi Vanessa,

:lol:

Great little story!

Glad the Pelikan was unharmed!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Maybe there would be greater protection if kept in pairs?

AlanSteytler

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." -Groucho Marx

Perhaps the attractive plumage of the pelikan attracted his attention. Although, I wonder if Irish is related in any way to Jack, he of one eye, adventurous temperament, and seeming endless capacity for mischief.

I have learned to keep ALL pens, not merely those of attractive plumage, securely boxed, locked, and inaccessible to fur creatures.

Come to think of it, I keep the boxes themselves inaccessible, for he of one eye *loves* to push things onto the floor, thereby awakening the humans whom he hopes will then bring forth the cat food.

I *think* he's learning that this last tactic is counterproductive. At least he's not doing it as often as he once did.

George

Pelikan Convert and User

Guest Denis Richard
a German honey-colored pelikan, snoozing peacefully on the large roll-top desk.

If I were you, I would be wary of bees too...

Great story, smudgy (Vanessa)!

Glad that your little "birdie" survived the attack. Those Pelikans are well-made pens, aren't they? I don't know how a Montblanc would have fared :lol:

Maybe there would be greater protection if kept in pairs?

Nay, you need a large flock to scare off the most adventurous cats! :rolleyes:

Vannessa, share your pain. One of my wifes cats had a fascination with chewing on pencils. Needless to say, Lamy Safari plastic is not bite proof. I keep my pens in a box now (and the cat is gone).

Edited by KendallJ

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Wonderfully written story, Vanessa :)

The related problem in my household is our dogs' fascination with chewing up my wife's wooden knitting needles. Not good :doh:

Bill

Thanks, all - I had a few minutes before I had to go to work yesterday, and thought a silly news article might be more fun to read than "gee, guess what my cat did..." :)

As for the comments that my Pelikan needs a friend or a whole flock to keep him company - let's just say that I don't think this bird will be flying solo for long. Of course, the fact that it's wearing a Richard Binder nib might be the reason why I like it so much...

While I love my cat, my husband and I have decided that cats have been such a destructive influence in our house that he's the last one. His friend, Bailey, ended up having to go live at my mother's because, among other things, he forced us to replace our dining room floor with Pergo (he thought it was his giant cat box)... we finally had to say goodbye when he started peeing on baby's things. Thankfully, Irish doesn't have this the-world-is-my-cat-box view, but he can still be a brat - and getting my pens??? Uh-oh. Watch out. ;)

Vanessa

Those Pelikans are well-made pens, aren't they? I don't know how a Montblanc would have fared :lol:

Long live the Pelikans!

Our tortie Penny considers pens fair game when not in use by the household humans. This includes Penny's favorite toy - our Montblanc Chopin that has landed on our hardwood (white oak, cherry stained) repeatedly. I've learned that if I don't clip the pen to something on the table, it will be diligently pawed to the floor.

-Mike

So much ink, so little said...

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Nice story. It sounded like a newspaper article. :D I keep all of my fountain pens in my bed at night. (Secret spot in my bed) -_-

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon