My Broken Nakaya Moon Cat

Susan3141

Back in December, (December 26th, to be exact) I wrote about how I broke my brand new Nakaya Moon Cat that I received for Christmas.

Yesterday word came back from Nakaya. I was given two choices. One was for them to make a new cap ($490 and up to 3 months wait). The other was an ingenious solution which involves using a string technique to restore the cap String Roll ($90 with a 2 month wait).

You can probably guess which option I chose! I am actually quite excited about the string roll because it will, at the least, make my Moon Cat totally unique. But it also looks like it will strengthen the cap where it originally broke. And, best of all, I won't go broke having it fixed (which means I can buy more pens, of course!). I love elegant solutions, and Nakaya came up with one.

It's been a long, long month waiting for an answer, but there it is.

Thanks to all of you who were so wonderful to express your encouragement. None of my non-pen friends understand how upsetting this was.

Susan

I can't stop buying pens and it scares me.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Susan3141

• Wile E Coyote

• jimhughes

• Sblakers

Wow, I'm not surprised at your choice. I know it's an expensive finish but $490 for a cap is a lot of money! Given how unlucky you were, it's a shame Nakaya couldn't be tempted into a slightly more charitable gesture (though no doubt understandable given the time and craftsmanship required) so the string binding option sounds like a good compromise under the circumstances.

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

Congratulations! I'd been wondering what had happened to you and your pen. Please show us the results when your pen gets back! Best wishes.

That's great news! I think the 'string roll' will actually look pretty good on the cap. They're just doing this to cover the part that was broken, right?

Congratulations! I'd been wondering what had happened to you and your pen. Please show us the results when your pen gets back! Best wishes.

Ditto! Should be interesting!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I had not noticed this style of Nakaya before and I find it very attractive, heck I like it so much it has now entered the running for my next Nakaya.

As others have asked please post the pictures when it is done I expect it will be fantastic, and unique.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

I'm glad to hear that they were able to offer an affordable solution. It's a shame that your pen was broken, but soon it will be back in your hands and truly unique. Looking forward to the pictures!

I'd be interested in seeing the finished result. It may just start a new design option for new pens with the added benefit of strengthening the cap.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Don't worry. I will post photos when Moon Cat comes home. But she will be cradled, in every picture, in a pen holder graciously sent to me by geoduc. Taking pictures of her is what caused all of this in the first place!

Susan

I'm relieved that there's an affordable resolution. I'd be hard-pressed to blame Nakaya for the cap's breaking. Anyway, I have a vague memory of seeing images of the String Roll -- oh, there's a link! Ha ha ha. Yes! That's it.

Wow. You might start a whole new trend in Nakaya customization, Susan!

Whew, though. Whew.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

The String Roll is a beautiful solution to your painful mishap. One thing for sure, the Artisans at Nakaya will deliver a pen that will meet all expectations.

Looking forward with great anticipation to photos. Best Wishes!

The string technique is like that traditionally used for strengthening, and stabilizing bamboo when making Shakuhachi flutes, something I have done myself, the string being silk, coated with shellac or an acrylic varnish. It's also a good method for securing rubber sacs in pens.

I'm relieved that there's an affordable resolution. I'd be hard-pressed to blame Nakaya for the cap's breaking. Anyway, I have a vague memory of seeing images of the String Roll -- oh, there's a link! Ha ha ha. Yes! That's it.

Wow. You might start a whole new trend in Nakaya customization, Susan!

Whew, though. Whew.

I totally agree: whew. If my only option was to replace the cap for $500 I probably would have just asked them to send it back and maybe soften the cracked edges. But they are creative, and this will make Moon Cat unique.

I'm totally lost here. Can someone, please put up a link of what this mysterious string roll looks like or explain how it's done. Thanks, Jim

That looks like a time consuming and attractive solution for $90.00, as you mentioned you may have the only such Moon Cat. I would think the repair would be quite strong.

Michael

I'm totally lost here. Can someone, please put up a link of what this mysterious string roll looks like or explain how it's done. Thanks, Jim

The link is in the original post where it says "String Roll" It's underlined because its a link.

What a wonderful solution! Can't wait to see your unique Moon Cat when you get it back.

*whew*

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

I hope you enjoy it! Remember, sometimes its the sentimentality and uniqueness behind what we treasure that makes it so. Perfection is not so much a state we hope to achieve in a pen as tailor-fit is; that's why everyone idealizes different grail pens. Now, you have a unqieu Nakaya that's intricately woven - both physically, and personally. How amazing is that? Like I said, enjoy :thumbup:

Visit Pen&Design!

@penanddesign

The link is in the original post where it says "String Roll" It's underlined because its a link.

My bad. Thank you for pointing this out to me. I thought this might be the solution, although I pictured using a piece of ribbon to do that. Looks very nice. I'm sure the OP will enjoy her new, new pen. Jim

I hadn't seen the string rolling technique before, but I think it's an attractive addition. I look forward to seeing photos of your Moon Cat when it returns.