President Kennedy's Esterbrook?

dmmay

On the NBC Nightly New this evening they mentioned a large collection of items from JFK that will be auctioned. They had a close up of a foundation pen which he used related to the Cuba Missile crisis. I think it is an Esterbrook, but it is a little difficult to see. It certainly would be a one of kind in any fountain pen collection. I have included a screenshot from the video.

post-89248-0-94451000-1359078446.png

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ANM

• Brian Anderson

• FarmBoy

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, exact same pen I found in Philly, although mine was used by LBJ. This one will probably go for some ridiculous amount though, association with JFK and Cuban Missle Crisis = $$$$

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

I saw that too when NBC news was on. Brian's pen is the first thing I thought of. :)

There's a lot of interesting stuff going into this auction. But this pen, associated with the crisis, is the coolest!

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]

Penfindum Restorum

Memberhttp://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/mikelkirk99/Pen%20Misc/bps_pin_2013_zps75ed3895.png http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/mikelkirk99/Pen%20Misc/pca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png

Yep, exact same pen I found in Philly, although mine was used by LBJ. This one will probably go for some ridiculous amount though, association with JFK and Cuban Missle Crisis = $$$$

It comes bundled with a picture of Kennedy signing some documents related to the crisis... however, the picture of him signing looks like he's using a different pen from what I could see.

What do you think is a ridiculous price?

There are a few pens in that auction. I'd be willing to pay a little bit ridiculous for one :)

It comes bundled with a picture of Kennedy signing some documents related to the crisis... however, the picture of him signing looks like he's using a different pen from what I could see.

What do you think is a ridiculous price?

There are a few pens in that auction. I'd be willing to pay a little bit ridiculous for one :)

The estimated auction price is between $5000 and $10000.

FYI a little background on bill signers.

Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy and Johnson all used Esterbrook dipless pens to sign bills. They would use several to sign a bill and give one to each of the persons invited to attend the ceremony. Such pens come with some provenience that they were actually used by the president, when it was used and the date it was used.

The General Supply office provided these pens and each a new batch was ordered- usually for a new president- the imprint The President The White House would change a little. Kennedy's imprint was 40mm while Johnsons was 43mm.

After a while, Johnson changed from Esterbrook to a felt pen. It had a replica of his signature, the presidential seal and The White House on them. (Esterbrook went out of business during his administration). When Johnson left, he took boxes of the unused Esterbrook pens and sold them as souvenirs from his library. These pens were probably never touched by the president and have no provenience to go with them. At some point, some unknown person bought all the remaining pens. A few years later Johnson pens began appearing as Kennedy pens with a price around 2K each. You see some of those on ebay now and then.

Johnson bill signers.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/DSCN0444_zpsc3181ef5.jpg

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

The Johnson pens were sold out sometime around 2001. I remember because I heard there were only a few left and not having had any I hopped on the phone. I was next in line should someone back out, but they were all gone.

The Johnson pens were sold out sometime around 2001. I remember because I heard there were only a few left and not having had any I hopped on the phone. I was next in line should someone back out, but they were all gone.

That was 12 years ago. Don't you have a significant find to discuss here from 1 month ago?

If you can't hear it, I'm tapping a pencil waiting on behalf of the Esterbrook Forum

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

That was 12 years ago. Don't you have a significant find to discuss here from 1 month ago?

If you can't hear it, I'm tapping a pencil waiting on behalf of the Esterbrook Forum

Farmboy

Aaaahhhh, yes. I do need to post it. I will do so tomorrow. :) See you in LA soon? (not to hijack a thread or anything...)

Farmboy

Aaaahhhh, yes. I do need to post it. I will do so tomorrow. :) See you in LA soon? (not to hijack a thread or anything...)

LA soon indeed

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I never tought in a dip pen as an item with owner no mater if it is in a private office, vaguely, I

perceived as if it belonged to...nobady,or just... the landscape furniture of that place.

However, I think the quintaessencial fountain pen of president Kennedy should had been an

Esterbrook J serie in any color hiden in the interior pocket of his well tailored jacket suit.

Sorry, just insights.

Edited by penrivers

My understanding is that JFK was a Sheaffer man and had several Snorkels including a desk set that he was very fond of.

I need to go to the library and see if they have any of his fountain pens on display.

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Farmboy

Just a little more nagging.

That AL will re-set the bar for this forum.

• 9 months later...

What dipless base was used for these pens?

Was it a 404 or 444 or a different base?

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

He didn't use this pen on his desk. He briefly used a LOT of them to sign one bill and then each pen, used for a second or two was given away. If you look carefully at this picture, you can see the gaggle of Esterbrooks at his right elbow and what looks like the top of a bottle of Scrip ink beside them. I bet he dipped each pen in the bottle and never had a dipless ink well on his desk. Also on his desk what appear to be Sheaffer desk pens are in front of him for his everyday use.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Bill_Signing-_Manpower_Development_and_Training_Act_of_1962._President_Kennedy,_Secretary_of_Labor_Arthur_Goldberg..._-_NARA_-_194205.jpg&imgrefurl=http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bill_Signing-_Manpower_Development_and_Training_Act_of_1962._President_Kennedy,_Secretary_of_Labor_Arthur_Goldberg..._-_NARA_-_194205.jpg&h=2700&w=2700&sz=1570&tbnid=8n1WxR_G5BVeaM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=90&zoom=1&usg=__lA-H-d97i4e4lFYI5VzqQcJTf8I=&docid=Xdx3rVC3gun5LM&sa=X&ei=ZDWBUtjiMM-QyQGRs4GYCg&ved=0CDAQ9QEwAA

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

Cool, now I understand how it was done.

thanks

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Very interesting stuff. I've always followed the assasination things and was just in Dallas for a conference and I went to the School Book Depository / 6th floor exhibit. If you are ever there, it's a must see. Standing on Dealy Plaza after seeing all the pictures and videos was a bit uneasy. Thanks all for sharing!