The Pilot Somes Collection Of Leather Pen Cases

penmanila

Really cooooool!

I have to buy the same one. lol

Kota san could you please ask Pilot or Somes regarding the tanning method used to make these, vegetable tanning or chrome, especially on the pig suede lining on the Pensemble?

I've asked Somes and still waiting for reply. Perhaps, quicker if you do it mate :thumbup:

Tony

Pie pellicane Iesu Domine, me immundum munda tuo Sanguine – St Thomas Aquinas

"ON THE PLEASURE OF TAKING UP ONE'S PEN", Hilaire Belloc

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penmanila

• Inked

• da vinci

• Barkingpig

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vegetable tanned leather, confirmed by a Pilot rep. Courtesy of Kota aka VirtuThe3rd*.. Good on you mate! And of course to penmanila for the review :thumbup:

The thing is, I am actually looking a smaller case about M400 size. I have a Pelikan three pen case, it is bit hard to retrieve small pen as I don't clip as well.

Tony

Ps: *Subscribe his youtube channel.

Pie pellicane Iesu Domine, me immundum munda tuo Sanguine – St Thomas Aquinas

"ON THE PLEASURE OF TAKING UP ONE'S PEN", Hilaire Belloc

• 1 month later...

Sorry I am late, but hopefully not too late.

I have a Pilot Somes five pen case in brown saddle leather which I bought in Mr. Lee's shop in Taipei. It is simply a delightful case to store one's pens in and a wonderful piece of furniture on any desk. There are three components that make up the case:

1. A lid that fits over the main body. To facilitate opening the case, the lid is not made overly tight or snug, just right. The inside of the lid is covered with a beige colour velvet like material, so the lid, when turned over, can be used as a presentation tray to show off one's pens or as an extra pen tray.

2. An upper tray that accommodates five pens up to 16.3 cm long. As you can see, I store my Tibaldi celluloids here with leg room (barrel room?) to spare. I believe large pens like MB 149 will be okey here too. The separator/bed of this main tray is made of the same brown coloured leather, albeit a bit thinner and softer.

3. The upper tray fits snugly inside the bottom enclosure, leaving an extra space for storing other miscellaneous items like papers, cartridges, or more pens! If you don't mind the pens rolling around and banging into one another, you could easily put 6 more pens here.

This Pilot Somes case is not inexpensive, but with its excellent construction and use of materials, it would definitely outlive me and provide me with lots of enjoyment while using it. I think it is worth it.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/Pilotboxopened_zps63f55c32.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/Pilotbox_zpsca22808b.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hello penmanila

Great looking case, review and follow ups!

Do the dividers go all the way to the bottom of the case?

Thank you,

Inked

wonderfully informative post, thanks guys! loving both the looks of the 3-pen pouch and tray. I'm likely to get the zippered case soon!

Now that is a beautifully crafted case. I can only imagine the rich smell of leather when you open the flap. My Haliburton Zero briefcase still smells great when i open it after 14 years of use! Great pens too!

Time to put Pen to Paper

• 1 month later...

sorry for the very late reply. the dividers go halfway down, but they're rather thick and should prevent the pens from scuffing each other inside.

here's another shot of the case with three of my favorite pens:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7043/8687622397_31e337cf18_c.jpg

Hello penmanila

Great looking case, review and follow ups!

Do the dividers go all the way to the bottom of the case?

Thank you,

Inked

Check out my blog and my pens

sorry for the very late reply. the dividers go halfway down, but they're rather thick and should prevent the pens from scuffing each other inside.

here's another shot of the case with three of my favorite pens:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7043/8687622397_31e337cf18_c.jpg

The top pen looks very nice. Is it lacquered wood ? What brand is it?

The top pen is a Conway Stewart Marlborough LE in woodgrain ebonite.

And yes, there's a discreet PILOT SOMES imprint on the rear of the case, bottom.

• 8 months later...

OK, so I ordered one in black, 3 pen fold over.

I'll post some feed back when it arrives.

Inked

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I ordered one in black, 3 pen fold over.

I'll post some feed back when it arrives.

Inked

Where did you order this? I've been wanting one of these for awhile. I thought they were a limited edition, one time only type of thing.

Where did you order this? I've been wanting one of these for awhile. I thought they were a limited edition, one time only type of thing.

I ordered mine off Ebay.

I should be picking it up tomorrow at the Post Office. I missed the delivery on Friday. Fast!

inked

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

I received my case; it is as good as penmanila has stated.

The case is very sturdy and exceptionally well tailored.

Materials used are first rate.

It's size is very good for most pens, and it can handle a 149.

The only thing I would caution is to be conscious of what pens you are combining.

I tried to put in a MB Solitaire 146, a 149 and the Woolf FP, and they would not fit. If I removed one of them and substituted it with a MB Solitaire BP, no problem.

As the case has a very nice curved and rigid form, that slightly angles towards the centre, combined with beautiful generous separators, the MB ring on the cap

of the pen made accommodations just a little too tight. The MB ring on the cap adds a millimetre or two. I never realized just how substantial the MB caps are overall.

So, 3 149's will not fit, but 2 149s and a CDA Leman or MB Solitaire BP, no problem.

That is a lot of pen.

I would absolutely recommend this case; just be aware of what you are combining.

This case will protect your pens inside and out, like a mother hen protects her chicks. Pilot has done an outstanding job with this Somes line.

It is definitely the most robust case, with the best interior lining, I have come across thus far.

Inked

• 9 months later...

someone asked me for a picture of the case after a year (actually, now 30 months!) of use, and here it is:

18040853353_d1d092d7b3_z.jpg

in it are a montblanc hemingway, a sheaffer balance II, and a parker duofold centennial, all fitting pretty comfortably in their slots. i think the ideal formula is really 1 fat pen + 1 narrow pen + 1 fat pen ;) the balance is the longest of the three, by the way.

someone asked me for a picture of the case after a year (actually, now 30 months!) of use, and here it is:

18040853353_d1d092d7b3_z.jpg

in it are a montblanc hemingway, a sheaffer balance II, and a parker duofold centennial, all fitting pretty comfortably in their slots. i think the ideal formula is really 1 fat pen + 1 narrow pen + 1 fat pen ;) the balance is the longest of the three, by the way.

Thank you for this update--my P-S three-pen case in tan leather is brand new and so in the full bloom of youth, but I'm eager to see it a bit more careworn like yours...!

I love these cases but just can't get over the prices. Bonkers. You could buy a 3 pen case from Franklin-Chirstoph, also veggie tanned (3 different colors) for $40. Similar cases here and there for much less than what those go for. I like that design better somewhat but goodness for that price I could get 3 equally high quality cases from Franklin-Chirstoph. Is there some feature I am not seeing? I get that leather in Japan is going to be more expensive but goodness that is literally 3x the comparable item from Franklin-Chirstoph and they ain't exactly bargain basement.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

" I could get 3 equally high quality cases from Franklin-Chirstoph. Is there some feature I am not seeing? I get that leather in Japan is going to be more expensive but goodness that is literally 3x the comparable item from Franklin-Chirstoph"

Have both.

No comparison.

It's not "what" feature are you not seeing; it's the Pilot Somes rigid construction, along with the high quality leather and workmanship.

Inked

Inked