Stub O' The Day

dcpritch

Drool

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcpritch

• amberleadavis

• dms525

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rather uncommon, this is an Australian Sheaffer PFM III with a neat left oblique nib.

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/sheaffer/pfm3_black_loaus_8.jpg

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/sheaffer/pfm3_black_loaus_2.jpg

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/sheaffer/pfm3_black_loaus_3.jpghttp://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/sheaffer/pfm3_black_loaus_4.jpg

Edited by terim

Rather uncommon, this is an Australian Sheaffer PFM III with a neat left oblique nib.

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/sheaffer/pfm3_black_loaus_8.jpg

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/sheaffer/pfm3_black_loaus_3.jpghttp://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/sheaffer/pfm3_black_loaus_4.jpg

nice pen

nice pics too

and nice ink

can't guess which though...

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

That nib is a beauty. I'd love to find one like that.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Another drool worthy stub.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Pelikan M800 B nib ground to a very crisp italic by Michael Masuyama.

It is installed on a pen that just came back from Shawn Newton with a new binde in Conway Stewart Pistachio. (Yum!)

David

David, did you just send the nib unit to Mike & the pen (without nib) to Shawn? The reason I ask is that in my case, having to send an complete (expensive) pen twice across the Border, would cause some concern. Canada Customs & Revenues agency is apt to pounce.

Istvan

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Hi, Istvan.

The nib was ground some time ago. I can't remember how I got it to Michael - bare or installed, by mail or at the SF Pen Show. I sent the pen to Shawn with the nib installed.

BTW, Michael has a M800, so you can mail him just the nib for grinding. At least this has been true in the past. I'd check with him to make sure it is still okay.

David

Thanks David.

I've sent Mike a couple of 14c Sailor nib-units when his workshop was in Georgia. At that time he had Sailor pens that would fit the threads on these sections.

I would of course now ask him if this (nib-unit only) option is still available.

For me, owning a modern Souveran 400 series Pelikan is but a dream. The grip of this series would be perfect for my very small hands.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Teri that's a great pen and nib combination!

Pelikan M800 B nib ground to a very crisp italic by Michael Masuyama.

It is installed on a pen that just came back from Shawn Newton with a new binde in Conway Stewart Pistachio. (Yum!)

David

David, any pen that combines a Masuyama nib and work done by Shawn Newton is, by definition, wonderful from the first mention, and your collaboration is no exception. Thanks for sharing!

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Wow - Friedrich, that looks fabulous, is that a BB width nib, or an oblique, or ...?

David, I think that Pistachio binde is perfect for that pen.

Wow - Friedrich, that looks fabulous, is that a BB width nib, or an oblique, or ...?

David, I think that Pistachio binde is perfect for that pen.

Thank you DrCodfish. Actually it is a factory italic nib (approximately 1.2mm) . It is crisp and quite unforgiving nib but that is what i was looking for because i wanted big line variation and i have read a lot of good reviews about vintage factory italic nibs from sheaffer!

IMG_20180204_123801_HDR.jpg

Edited by friedrichwild

Franklin Christoph 1.9mm music nib, on an ASA Halwa in Conway-Stewart pistachio.

post-123774-0-42660900-1518377028_thumb.jpeg

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Very nice, Bob!

The F-C music nib is absolutely one of my favorites for calligraphy.

David

My first post & my first hand ground snub:

Curiosity/work procrastination got the best of me last night and I bobbed the nib on a fine point Lamy Safari my sister gave me for X-mas. Not pretty but it writes more fairly smooth.

Please excuse the handwriting, I enjoy not calligraphy most when I'm not taking it seriously :D

I did most of the work with the Japanese wet stone I sharpen my knives with then polished it on a buffing wheel.

Cheers!

post-141667-0-35048100-1518642590_thumb.jpg

post-141667-0-92887600-1518642619_thumb.jpg

post-141667-0-85675900-1518642642_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jorge-Pantalones

• 3 weeks later...

This nib was ground by Michael Masuyama. He made it more of a formal italic than cursive italic, and you really have to be careful about finding the sweet spot, or it skips. It also is a rather dry writing nib. That's good for max line variation, but I tried 4 different inks before I found one that minimized skipping. Interestingly enough, the one that works best is Graf von Faber-Castell Moss Green. It is a lovely black-green with lots of shading.

David

I really like that pistachio binde. What does work like that cost? What are the steps to creating something like that? I don't know anything about binde manufacturing.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

I really like that pistachio binde. What does work like that cost? What are the steps to creating something like that? I don't know anything about binde manufacturing.

Go to newtonpens dot com. Shawn has answers to your questions, including photos and a video. It's pretty interesting and, IMO, a very reasonable charge. I have had both Pelikans and Auroras fitted with new bindes in materials I much prefer to their original plain black resins.

David