Best Correction Method For Fp's

Snowie

When I was in primary school, the usage of fountain pen was compulsory. At that time, if my memory serves, we used the Faber Castell ink erasers.

post-105690-0-71685500-1435899870_thumb.png

But, Unfortunately, it never never works. It is something that you know 100% for sure that it will ruin your exam paper, but you will still buy it, carry it and use it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plume145

• RonLyke

• fuchsiaprincess

• PDW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Best" correction method would depend on what I'm writing about or for. In my meeting notes/minutes, I'm writing for speed and accuracy so I use a quick cross out with one line and move on to write the word correctly. When writing in my journal, I'm very comfortable with crossing out a word and moving on to the correct thought. Maybe whoever goes back to read my thoughts will be amused when I was hunting for the corect word or just can't believe I couldnt' spell the word correctly the first time. If I'm writing a letter, then I usually just start over. If it's worth writing by hand, then it's worth writing correctly.

Buzz

When I was in music school, we used curved blade scalpels & carefully scraped the offending note off the page. The paper we used, however, was a heavier card stock, so this technique may not work for everyone. We used fountain pens then (mid sixties); they probably use Sharpies now.

Side note: I've seen demonstrations of "music" nibs, where the pen is held to make a thin line in the vertical stroke, and a broad rectangle in the horizontal stroke, to simulate the appearance of a note head. The pens we used (I wish I knew what happened to mine) had 3 tines, and were very flexible, so we could spread it in the horizontal stroke to get an oval, correctly formed note head. Don't know if nibs are made flexible like that now. I'll see if I can try one at the DC show.

When I was in music school, we used curved blade scalpels & carefully scraped the offending note off the page. The paper we used, however, was a heavier card stock, so this technique may not work for everyone. We used fountain pens then (mid sixties); they probably use Sharpies now.

Side note: I've seen demonstrations of "music" nibs, where the pen is held to make a thin line in the vertical stroke, and a broad rectangle in the horizontal stroke, to simulate the appearance of a note head. The pens we used (I wish I knew what happened to mine) had 3 tines, and were very flexible, so we could spread it in the horizontal stroke to get an oval, correctly formed note head. Don't know if nibs are made flexible like that now. I'll see if I can try one at the DC show.

A couple of brands still make music nibs; I know the Noodler's Neponsets have music nibs and I think that Platinum and Sailor make them as well for some models, but haven't tried any of those.

I have a couple of vintage pens with music nibs: one is a Craig ringtop (sub brand of Sheaffer) and the other -- a recent find -- is a no-name lever pen. The Craig needs a new sac; the other pen I haven't had time to check. I got the Craig a couple of years ago at DCSS, so you might luck out (there are a LOT of tables...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I don't know what brand mine was. My regular pen was a P45 at the time.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of this group at DC.

Us We were, too. And we were expected to cross out using a ruler, holding it upside down to avoid smudging.

I still just cross out (though not with a ruler!) and continue. If it gets too littered with crossings-out, I start afresh. So yes, sometimes my friends receive birthday cards with crossings-out.

That's still my method. I don't allow white out in the office, it smudges the scanners and copiers.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY