The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Professional Gear Imperial Black Edition - Fine Nib

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Edjelley

Edjelley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 19:20

Hey FPN, I just wanted to share my latest Fountain Pen Review. I've been waiting on this one for a long time. I sourced the pen from a Japanese eBay seller to save myself quite a bit of money. I love the pen, and I hope you enjoy the review. Clicking on the pictures will bring you to the entire review I have hosted on my blog with more pictures along with the typed out review (if you don't wish to read my handwriting).

Thanks and enjoy!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Typed out text, and a few more pictures can be seen here!

Edited by Edjelley, 22 January 2013 - 19:21.

Sponsored Content

#2 Oranges and Apples

Oranges and Apples

Vantage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 19:28

A stunning pen. Thanks for sharing your experience.

#3 Oranges and Apples

Oranges and Apples

Vantage

• Member - Gold

• 1,030 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 19:40

Also, I've noticed that your nib has ink all over it. According to this video (skip to the 18:00 minute mark) you only need to dip the nib up to the breather hole.

#4 Edjelley

Edjelley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 19:44

Thanks for reading!

I thoroughly cleaned the nib off after filling, but the ink I'm using (Noodler's Bad Blue Heron) tends to have a lot of nib creep.

Even with the most careful of fills, this ink manages to show itself on every pen I've had it in. I really like the ink, so I can overlook the creepage.

Thank you for posting the video too, very informative!

#5 akustyk

akustyk

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 21:41

Awesome review. Thanks so much! I love my Realo, and I my experience mirrors some of yours.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

#6 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:32

Also, I've noticed that your nib has ink all over it. According to this video (skip to the 18:00 minute mark) you only need to dip the nib up to the breather hole.

According to my knowledge of the way the pen fits together, that part is only partially air and water tight. It is still best to submerge the pen to the lip of the grip section to avoid allowing bubbles into the reservoir. Very few Professional Gear pens that I have seen (and I've seen many of them) can actually be filled properly when the nib is submerged only up to the breather hole.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo, 23 January 2013 - 02:33.

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#7 humsin

humsin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,083 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:24

Is the nib smokey coloured?!
The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

#8 Edjelley

Edjelley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:45

Yes! It looks kind of like gunmetal. A very dark grey/black. It matches the furnishings on the pen perfectly.

#9 brunico

brunico

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:25

It looks kind of like gunmetal. A very dark grey/black. It matches the furnishings on the pen perfectly.

The colour of the sheen on Sailor Kiwa-guro, the perfect match, the perfect stealth ink!

#10 GSteer

GSteer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:57

Yes, and thanks for bringing it back to the top of the forum :) As if I hadn't seen Ed's reviews enough lol - it's now my next "treat myself" pen when I pass my next work certification - it's simply dribble inducing isn't it!

Edited by GSteer, 10 February 2013 - 17:29.

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith
"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

#11 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:28

FYI for those who aren't familiar, the nib is coated with ruthenium, as are the metallic parts on the pen. I'm quite amazed by that, because titanium isn't as shiny. I must get one of these! Sailor also has another model, the FL model which has a really heavy ruthenium nib section but normal silver accents.

#12 Edjelley

Edjelley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:51

Yes, and thanks for bringing it back to the top of the forum :) As if I hadn't seen Ed's reviews enough lol - it's now my next "treat myself" pen when I past my next work certification - it's simply dribble inducing isn't it!

This was a "treat yourself" pen for me too! I think that's the only "sane" way to justify it.

#13 Edjelley

Edjelley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:54

It looks kind of like gunmetal. A very dark grey/black. It matches the furnishings on the pen perfectly.

The colour of the sheen on Sailor Kiwa-guro, the perfect match, the perfect stealth ink!

That was actually the first ink I loaded up! I switched it out pretty quick to.something a bit wetter. While the KG is.super smooth, it's not very wet to me. Right now I'm using Noodler's Dark Matter and loving it.

#14 penultress

penultress

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:37

Thanks for a fine review! I am contemplating my first Sailor purchase and this is very helpful. I love your website too!

#15 Edjelley

Edjelley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:39

Thanks for a fine review! I am contemplating my first Sailor purchase and this is very helpful. I love your website too!

Thank you so much! It's my first Sailor dvd I wanted to be as thorough as possible.

#16 kjm

kjm

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2013 - 20:05

In part, because of this review I now have a Sailor Professional Gear Imperial Black Edition with a Med Nib on order. It should arrive on Monday, 2/18/13.

#17 Edjelley

Edjelley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2013 - 20:08

Sorry to your bank doubt account, and congrats to your wallet! I've been using mine on a daily basis and I love it.

#18 kjm

kjm

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 February 2013 - 19:31

I received my Sailor Professional Gear Imperial Black Edition with a medium nib yesterday. I must agree with Ed that this is a great pen. I have only been using it for 2 days, but so far it is outstanding.

#19 humsin

humsin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,083 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:45

That nib looks really cool!! Is it a coating or is the alloy that colour?
The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

#20 Edjelley

Edjelley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:01

The nib is 21k gold with a ruthenium (titanium ion) plating.

It gives the appearance of a black chrome. It's really great looking in person.

Sponsored Content

|