The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LostInBrittany

LostInBrittany

Loaded with iron gall ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 15:14

LiB Stylo-plumes

If you have read my other reviews, you maybe know I'm in a quest to find the perfect blue ink, or at least my perfect blue ink. Noodler's Liberty's Elysium was a close one, but its non full waterproofness was a bad point for it. Noodler’s 54th Massachussetts, also from Noodler's, was very nice, but a bit dark for me. So my quest continued...

And today I review an ink as water resistant as the 54th Massachussetts, and almost as bright as Liberty's Elysium : Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue. I said almost, because as you can see here, Liberty's Elysium is still brighter.

Ink Review : Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue

Upper Ganges Blue is indeed waterproof, it has passed the water test without any problem, neither the water drops of the splash test nor more than one minute underwater of the immersion test have altered this beautiful ink. As comparison, you can see how badly Liberty's Elysium supported water. Upper Ganges Blue really deserves the bulletproof label.

Besides that it's a very beautiful ink, rather wet as I like, with a generous flow and only a bit of feathering on this Rhodia paper. Dry time is not bad, you must wait at least 10 s before rubbing your hand on paper if you want to be sure that it won't smear. Once dry, ink is inalterable.

I really love this ink, for now it's my favourite blue, my almost-perfect blue ink. If only it could be as bright as Liberty's Elysium, it would be the truly perfect one.

As usual, I've also posted this review on my fountain pen blog.

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,800 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 20:07

Interesting. I had tried a sample of UGB and mine seemed a bit, well, flat looking. Not as chalky as in some reviews I'd seen of it, but still lacking the "oomph" of Liberty's Elysium (which is probably my favorite blue ink). But then, I wasn't using good paper, so that may have made a difference.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 fourseamer

fourseamer

Up and In

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 21:24

Interesting. I had tried a sample of UGB and mine seemed a bit, well, flat looking. Not as chalky as in some reviews I'd seen of it, but still lacking the "oomph" of Liberty's Elysium (which is probably my favorite blue ink). But then, I wasn't using good paper, so that may have made a difference.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Maybe someone can confirm this, but I thought Upper Ganges Blue was reformulated recently. The old formula was, as you described, chalky and faded looking (similar to Luxury Blue), but recent bottles have exhibited this more vibrant color.

In all cases, I enjoy many of these Noodler's blues including Luxury Blue, Liberty's Elysium, and Bad Blue Heron (though I'm tiring of BBH drying out in my pens).

#4 LostInBrittany

LostInBrittany

Loaded with iron gall ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 21:46

I confirm, the review is about the new Upper Ganges Blue, a lot more vibrant than the old, faded and chalky, one.
Posted Image

#5 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 21:53

Maybe someone can confirm this, but I thought Upper Ganges Blue was reformulated recently. The old formula was, as you described, chalky and faded looking (similar to Luxury Blue), but recent bottles have exhibited this more vibrant color.

I can confirm that others have speculated here that the ink has been reformulated. :) I didn't have the old formulation, so I don't know. I remain a little bit skeptical about the reformulation, however, since I haven't seen any side-by-side comparisons that were scanned/photographed together. I have a new bottle, and I regard it as a little bit chalky and faded looking compared to Noodler's Blue or Liberty's Elysium. Certainly it's a new batch. Maybe the old version was more chalky and less vibrant for all I know.

Edited by mhosea, 22 January 2013 - 22:13.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#6 DanF

DanF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:03

I like this ink a lot, would call it a nice pastel sky blue (cerulean). Not every blue has to scream at you - this one whispers seductively. :)

Dan

Edited by DanF, 23 January 2013 - 04:04.

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

Posted Image

#7 VirtuThe3rd

VirtuThe3rd

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 15:46

Really nice review. Thanks for the sharing. I liked it so much. I have YouTube channel about fountain pens and inks. If you have time, please take a look at my channel. : ) I'm looking forword your new review!!

Sponsored Content

|