Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue

LostInBrittany

http://www.lostinbrittany.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/images/categories/lib_pens.png

If you have read my other reviews, you maybe know I'm in a quest to find the perfect blue ink, or at least my perfect blue ink. Noodler's Liberty's Elysium was a close one, but its non full waterproofness was a bad point for it. Noodler’s 54th Massachussetts, also from Noodler's, was very nice, but a bit dark for me. So my quest continued...

And today I review an ink as water resistant as the 54th Massachussetts, and almost as bright as Liberty's Elysium : Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue. I said almost, because as you can see here, Liberty's Elysium is still brighter.

Upper Ganges Blue is indeed waterproof, it has passed the water test without any problem, neither the water drops of the splash test nor more than one minute underwater of the immersion test have altered this beautiful ink. As comparison, you can see how badly Liberty's Elysium supported water. Upper Ganges Blue really deserves the bulletproof label.

Besides that it's a very beautiful ink, rather wet as I like, with a generous flow and only a bit of feathering on this Rhodia paper. Dry time is not bad, you must wait at least 10 s before rubbing your hand on paper if you want to be sure that it won't smear. Once dry, ink is inalterable.

I really love this ink, for now it's my favourite blue, my almost-perfect blue ink. If only it could be as bright as Liberty's Elysium, it would be the truly perfect one.

As usual, I've also posted this review on my fountain pen blog.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LostInBrittany

• DanF

• mhosea

• notVirtuThe3rd

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I had tried a sample of UGB and mine seemed a bit, well, flat looking. Not as chalky as in some reviews I'd seen of it, but still lacking the "oomph" of Liberty's Elysium (which is probably my favorite blue ink). But then, I wasn't using good paper, so that may have made a difference.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Interesting. I had tried a sample of UGB and mine seemed a bit, well, flat looking. Not as chalky as in some reviews I'd seen of it, but still lacking the "oomph" of Liberty's Elysium (which is probably my favorite blue ink). But then, I wasn't using good paper, so that may have made a difference.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Maybe someone can confirm this, but I thought Upper Ganges Blue was reformulated recently. The old formula was, as you described, chalky and faded looking (similar to Luxury Blue), but recent bottles have exhibited this more vibrant color.

In all cases, I enjoy many of these Noodler's blues including Luxury Blue, Liberty's Elysium, and Bad Blue Heron (though I'm tiring of BBH drying out in my pens).

Maybe someone can confirm this, but I thought Upper Ganges Blue was reformulated recently. The old formula was, as you described, chalky and faded looking (similar to Luxury Blue), but recent bottles have exhibited this more vibrant color.

I can confirm that others have speculated here that the ink has been reformulated. :) I didn't have the old formulation, so I don't know. I remain a little bit skeptical about the reformulation, however, since I haven't seen any side-by-side comparisons that were scanned/photographed together. I have a new bottle, and I regard it as a little bit chalky and faded looking compared to Noodler's Blue or Liberty's Elysium. Certainly it's a new batch. Maybe the old version was more chalky and less vibrant for all I know.

Edited by mhosea

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

I like this ink a lot, would call it a nice pastel sky blue (cerulean). Not every blue has to scream at you - this one whispers seductively. :)

Dan

Edited by DanF

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Really nice review. Thanks for the sharing. I liked it so much. I have YouTube channel about fountain pens and inks. If you have time, please take a look at my channel. : ) I'm looking forword your new review!!