Sheaffer Balance Oversize Question

sunnyt

Hello,

I recently bought an "oversize" Balance from Ebay but am confused if I have ended up with a full size instead. The cap diameter for an oversize, as discussed on this forum should be at least 15mm. The cap diameter for the pen I bought was described as 14mm. The seller who is very reputable has also sent me the following link to bolster his case that a cap diameter of 14mm qualifies as oversize. I would be very grateful if informed members of this forum could help me out of my predicament.

Regards

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SHEAFFER-OVERSIZE-BALANCE-5-5-8-BLACK-PEARL-FOUNTAIN-PEN-JUMBO-LARGE-/380558167951?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D5014737621214462129%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D121049154450%26

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lazard 20

• sunnyt

• kirchh

• 79spitfire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have another question- were the cap inserts supposed to be of a different color(yellow-green) than the ones of the body(orange) ? Or is it just a discoloring problem?

The discoloration of the body is too important for the price asked :angry:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Not to mention the cracks around the white dot... I would send it back immediately.

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

The link you show is for a live auction. Is this the pen you bought? Or is this just an example of the size/style?

To be blunt, the pen shown in the auction is (IMHO) not worth the asking price, for that much money it should in much better condition.

The celluloid is discolored, in the barrel and is showing severe crazing at the top of the cap around the dot. OS Sheaffers are UN-common but not so rare as to command this much for a pen with issues.

That's my opinion, and I'll stick to it, if I'm wrong I'm sorry. I genuinely hope this isn't your pen! If you did pay that much for a pen in this condition, by all means SEND IT BACK!!!

Edited by 79spitfire

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I recently bought a Balance 'senior' sized, and whatever that may be, I take it as a 'standard' sized. The cap on my Balance measures exactly 14mm diameter. Length is about 13,7 cm.

"Le vase donne une forme au vide, et la musique au silence"

Georges Braque

The link you show is for a live auction. Is this the pen you bought? Or is this just an example of the size/style?

That auction is clearly still running - so that can't be the OP's pen unless he's sent it back already and the seller has put it up for sale again......

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Topicstarter said: 'seller send a link to bolster his case': so to me that sounds as if that is not the pen he/she bought, but just a link to compare.

"Le vase donne une forme au vide, et la musique au silence"

Georges Braque

Hello,

I agree. Thankfully I did not buy this pen.

Regards

Not to mention the cracks around the white dot... I would send it back immediately.

So would I, Thankfully I avoided this auction

Regards

To be blunt, the pen shown in the auction is (IMHO) not worth the asking price, for that much money it should in much better condition.

The celluloid is discolored, in the barrel and is showing severe crazing at the top of the cap around the dot. OS Sheaffers are UN-common but not so rare as to command this much for a pen with issues.

That's my opinion, and I'll stick to it, if I'm wrong I'm sorry. I genuinely hope this isn't your pen! If you did pay that much for a pen in this condition, by all means SEND IT BACK!!!

Hello,

This is the auction, the seller pointed to prove that an oversize balance could have a cap diameter of 14mm (since that's what the details in the auction say - not to mention the fact that the pen is being sold by Firebreakline who is highly reputed).

The pen I have has arrived and has a cap diameter of 14mm. I am not quite sure if it is an "oversize" as was described by the seller in his auction. I dont really want to cast aspersions on a highly reputed seller without solid evidence and hence I am not linking the auction that I won.

Many Thanks for you response.

Regards

OK, Pics of the pen in question would help!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I'm not clear -- has the pen arrived? It would be a lot easier to know what you've got if we could see it.

Hello,

Yes the pen has arrived. I am not sure if it is an oversize as was advertised by the seller. It has a cap diameter of 14mm and I think there was a discussion here on FPN where some very knowledgeable members concluded that an oversize had a cap diameter of at least 15 mm. Hence my appeal for help.

Many Thanks for your response

I have attached the images for your perusal.

Regards

post-77335-0-19381700-1358777546.jpg

I recently bought a Balance 'senior' sized, and whatever that may be, I take it as a 'standard' sized. The cap on my Balance measures exactly 14mm diameter. Length is about 13,7 cm.

Hello,

Thanks. This is helpful.

I guess I will have to contact the seller on this one.

Regards

sunnyt look on Richard Binder's excellent website. He is AN EXPERT and has precise measurement's of all the Balances. If firebreakline argues just refer him to Richard's web site. He will not argue with someone of Richard's reputation.

sunnyt look on Richard Binder's excellent website. He is AN EXPERT and has precise measurement's of all the Balances. If firebreakline argues just refer him to Richard's web site. He will not argue with someone of Richard's reputation.

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I did look up Richard Binder's website but unfortunately it does not give the measurement of the Balance Oversize Cap. It says that the

Barrel diameter should be 33/64 inches (13.1 mm roughly). Now the question is that if the diameter of the cap is 14mm does it translate in to a barrel diameter of more

than 13 mm after taking in to account the thickness of the cap? This keeps on getting murkier and murkier :). Thanks

Regards

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I did look up Richard Binder's website but unfortunately it does not give the measurement of the Balance Oversize Cap. It says that the

Barrel diameter should be 33/64 inches (13.1 mm roughly). Now the question is that if the diameter of the cap is 14mm does it translate in to a barrel diameter of more

than 13 mm after taking in to account the thickness of the cap? This keeps on getting murkier and murkier :). Thanks

Regards

So I pulled out a couple of my OS Balance pens and the slimmest measured 14.98mm at the cap band.

I think you've got the large pen. I've been looking at a few different pens here, and your nib and section more closely resemble those of the larger examples. I think part of the confusion is that the proportions and dimensons of balances varied somewhat over time. Judging by what I can see of your clip and the divots next to the lever (the old-fashioned way of mounting the lever), yours is an early pen. I just tried to put the cap from one my early OS pens onto the barrel of a later one and discovered that it does not fit. I also just did a quick measurement of my early pen and the cap opening looks to me to be 14mm in diameter.

That said, I'm not a big fan of identifying pens by measurements. If you've got full-size and OS pens in front of you, it's easy to tell which are the big ones -- no need to measure.