Comparison Between Namiki Falcon And Mottishaw's Spencerian Flex Falcon

schin

Wow. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew_L

• schin

• Honeybadgers

• Finalist

Great review, thanks.

What vintage pens would you recommend that would be the equivalent or better to the falcon with the spencerian?

May your ways be green and golden, and the wind be at your back.

Probably the most common would be a Waterman 52, not all nibs will be flexible, and not all flex nibs are equal in flex. Best bet is to look around on Ebay for a while, wait for one that includes a writing sample, and be aware that some pens flex a lot, but also require a lot of pressure to do so, and that terms like "wet noodle" are tossed around rather carelessly. A true wet noodle is quite rare. Expect to pay upwards of $150 for a pen that is advertised as flex with writing sample. You might also keep an eye on the classified here for a vintage flex, but they go quickly.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Thank you, I'll keep a lookout :)

May your ways be green and golden, and the wind be at your back.

outstanding work from Mottishaw :thumbup: and great review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Josh: I don't know much about vintage pens but my experience of them has not been too favorable according to my needs. For me it is most important to have a needlepoint nib that flexes well, maybe XXXF-B. Many flexy pens start at F or even M and goes to XB. It is difficult to find a flexy vintage pen that truly starts as a needlepoint. In that case I believe it needs to be modded, but they can be very expensive.

georges & haroldvincent: Thank you!!

dhnz: My mistake! Instead of Principality, it was a Leonardt Principal. The Leonardt Principal, Principality and Hunt Imperial are so similar in design.

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/586/awm1.jpg

(Faber Castell Osmia 223 - F ..... Rohrer & Klingner Smaragdgrün)

• 4 months later...

The pics in the OP's first post are missing. I'm very interested in seeing them. Is there a way to view them or pull them back up?

Question for the OP: have you tried the new resin SEF nib? If so, how does the tipping compare to the needlepoint grind of John's mod?

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Question for the OP: have you tried the new resin SEF nib? If so, how does the tipping compare to the needlepoint grind of John's mod?

I actually have wondered that myself, does it obviate the need for a Mottishaw spencerian customization?

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

I actually have wondered that myself, does it obviate the need for a Mottishaw spencerian customization?

According to the tip size chart on nibs.com Mr. Mottishaw grinds his needle point to .1mm while an EF Pilot is listed at .2mm.

Other brands' EF are listed at .3mm

Edited by Finalist

According to the tip size chart on nibs.com Mr. Mottishaw grinds his needle point to .1mm while an EF Pilot is listed at .2mm.

Other brands' EF are listed at .3mm

I am not familiar with a factory xxf from Namiki, but if you refer to Nakaya's Super Extra Fine ( SEF) nib it is .1mm in line width. Being both asian made pens, they would probably have similar specs, so it sounds like a possibility...depending on the tipping. Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

The pics in the OP's first post are missing. I'm very interested in seeing them. Is there a way to view them or pull them back up?

I'd be interested in seeing them also. Wonderful review!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

• 3 months later...

It is June 2014 and I am also unable to view the images. I have tried other browsers and all the menu options from right clicking. Nothing works. @OP @schin hopefully you are able to post the pictures from your review again? That would be wonderful, thank you!

It is June 2014 and I am also unable to view the images. I have tried other browsers and all the menu options from right clicking. Nothing works. @OP @schin hopefully you are able to post the pictures from your review again? That would be wonderful, thank you!

I think they were deleted by the OP. We are not given much server space to post pics, so eventually you have to manage your attachments which means deleting old pics you posted so you can post new pics. It costs the site owner to store pics, so they limit the amount we can post. It also makes for a lesser quality site as great content is missing. It's a balancing act I guess.

• 6 years later...
Hello to all!

I understand that the topic is quite old and that the photos are no longer visible, but I also prepared a small review of a modern Falcon with a SEF nib (this is not a Super Extra-Fine, this is Soft Extra Fine, i.e. a little bit flexible:)). I understand a lot of things from the pen world and can grind the nibs sam self, I can modify the feeds and even add some more flexibility to modern as "flexible" nibs - these are all straightforward procedures. But I do not see an option for increasing the flexibility of a complex shape Falcon nib without reducing the thickness of the material, and this procedure is very complicated for this pen. I understand that before, when the SEF nib was not available, then reducing the tip from the F nib to Needlepoint was reasonable for the Spencerian penmanship, but now the SEF pen works very well. Despite the size of 0.2mm vs 0.1mm (for mod), it also allows you to practice beautiful handwriting(I think). So Falcon (Elabo) is good choise for it.

spacer.png

Review is here: https://lenskiy.org/2020/09/modern-pilot-namiki-falcon/

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org

or watch on social networks

Facebook: @ArtDesignPenS

Telegram: @ArtDesignPenS

Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS

Instagram: @andrew.lensky

I really dig that picture.

I was really disappointed in the flex with my SEF metal falcon. It was no very soft, not very flexible. Out of the box, I think the pilot SF nib in the custom 91/74/92 is more flexible.

But after I got it spencerian ground by Gena Salorino for needlepoint and added flex....

It's still not very flexible. But it is now one of my favorites because of how perfectly she tuned the needlepoint so it gives the most satisfyingly scritchy paper feel of a nice sharp dip nib.

I would never recommend it for large flex writing, but as a fun, pleasant and very expressive nib to use, love it.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)