$5000 Cash To Spend - Which Pen?

Salerno_AFG

If you were to recieve $5000 cash specifically to purchase any one pen of your choice which would it be and why? If you have a pic of your dream pen show us.

I am pretty confident I would purchase a Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 with a fine nib.

I am very intrigued by the Montblanc line of pens and the classic lines of the 149 Meisterstuck. There is beauty in simplicity and time honored reliability. Now, I have never so much as touched one, but then again I've never driven nor touched a Ferrari and want one.

**************************************************************************************

Whining: (Verb) Presenting a problem without a well thought out solution

**************************************************************************************

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salerno_AFG

• AltecGreen

• Aysedasi

• 79spitfire

I just couldn't spend that amount of money on one pen. Not unless I had more money than I knew what to do with. If ordered to do so {;)), I would almost certainly commission a bespoke pen. Or just be plain stupid and buy a Lepine Graphyscaf to sit and look at.......

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

If I had $5,000 to spend, I'd be tempted to drop some of it on a Nakaya -- they are beautiful pens with beautiful finishes. But I still think one of the best values for money is a 1930s Sheaffer Balance in your favorite color, whatever that may be. Spend a few hundred dollars, get a great pen and plunk the rest of the money in a mutual fund that will leave you with a little pen money in your old age.

P1000058.JPG

Edited by wekiva98

I have never heard of those two makers, but Im googleing :eureka:

Even if i were a millionaire, i wouldn`t spend more than 500 dollars for a fountain pen(even less, actually).

But if you really want an answer- i would probably order a custom made pen or maybe i would buy something like a Montblanc Elisabeth I or a David Oscarson L`Arlequin.

Edited by rochester21

GvFC pen of the year 2008.

Then spend the rest getting the nib perfect with help from a nib person.

Just about hit your budget with that choice! Beautiful pen!

Buy blanks of different material, commission someone like Romillio to make flex nibs, then have various pen-turners make pens. Give them some pompous sounding designer name and sell the resulting pens as Limited Editions.

I just couldn't spend that amount of money on one pen. look at.......

Yes, you could ! You could buy MY Pelikan Souveran M1000. I'd sweeten with a full

bottle of Noodler's Eel ink of your choice. Free shipping. (It was worth a try.)

:ltcapd:

This offer is open to everyone out there.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

After the MB 149 I think the Pelikan M1000 might be my next choice. Big pens are good :roflmho:

GvFC pen of the year 2008.

Then spend the rest getting the nib perfect with help from a nib person.

I confess I wouldn't buy that one, whatever it cost. Metal sections...... I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder..... :headsmack:

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Why would anyone spend $5000 on a fountain pen? That is just nouveau riche gauche, like lighting cigars with $100 bills.

I guess the question is better phrased, if money wasn't an issue, which single pen would you be tempted to purchase. Wether its long past sold out ie; LE, from a bygone era or a current pen that has always been your dream pen since seeing it in that glass window as a kid.

I had this situation in December getting an unexpected windfall. I bought the MB Einstein.

I've still got some cash left over and I am contemplating whether to keep it I. The bank for a rainy day or buy a MB Hitchcock or put it towards a new bicycle.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Why would anyone spend $5000 on a fountain pen? That is just nouveau riche gauche, like lighting cigars with $100 bills.

I guess the question is better phrased, if money wasn't an issue, which single pen would you be tempted to purchase. Wether its long past sold out ie; LE, from a bygone era or a current pen that has always been your dream pen since seeing it in that glass window as a kid.

Alright, then.

I have in fact received such windfalls -- larger than $5000, even some recently. I save most such monies, and occasionally use some of it for home improvements (which will reap returns one day when I sell the house).

And this is why I will be able to afford a first-rate college education for my daughter and an early and comfortable retirement for myself. Those goals are more important to me than having a blingy pen.

Edited by Koyote

If I had $5000 burning a hole in my pocket I'd get a used motorcycle with a sidecar. However, if I used it on a pen, there is no question: MB Hemingway and a Nakaya with whatever change is leftover.

Edit: dog is my copilot

Edited by tomgartin

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

I'd have a hard time spending that much on a single pen. If I did I'd feel like I had to use it all the time time to justify the expensive. What about all my other pens?

But if money was no object - I'm lusting after the Nakaya Deskpen in Sumi, along with the stand. I love black pens.

I have the pen in mind, but I'm not saying it, because I don't want to jinx it. :)

It's much less than $5,000 but it's still ridiculously expensive. Retirement, hah!