Manuscript Calligraphy Lettering Kit Pen

PolarMoonman

Pen: Unknown

Make: Manuscript

Cost: $10

Nib: Fine

Packaging & Accessories: (10/10)

The pen came with 6 mini ink cartridges, a converter and several calligraphy nibs. So really awesome accessories. The packaging was a cardboardy texture that the accessories and pen sat in. The pen itself was in a plastic bag. A clear plastic sleeve went over it all.

Appearance & Design (8/10)

The pen looks very elegant, it has a silver and gold two tone nib and is made of a very thin metal. The grip is a bit odd but not too bad. There are gold accents and the pen looks expensive and very nice.

Construction & Quality (7/10)

The pen is made of very thin metal. But overall the pen feels very sturdy. And I have noticed no defects or issues with it yet. It is easy to take apart to clean but stays together well.

Weight & Dimensions: (7/10)

The pen is not very heavy. It has a nice weight and is comfortable to write with. When posted it has a nice balance and is a pleasure to use.

Nib & Performance: (3/10)

The nib looks gorgeous, but it did not work straight out of the box. Flow was terrible and almost non existent and the writing was extremely scratchy. So I examined it and saw the end of the nib was slightly curved inward. So I laid the nib on the paper and gently pushed till the nib was straight. Now that it is fixed it works really well, and is very smooth, but if I hadn't done some studying on nibs before this I would never have known how to fix it.

Filling System & Maintenance: (7/10)

The pen came with a converter, albeit a cheap one and six cartridges. The converter works fine but sometimes sticks and the ink cartridges were junk. Parker cartridges fit in it as well. So if I get sick of the converter that came with it, I will probably buy another Parker converter....

Cost & Value: (5/10)

I think this is good pen when it comes to design other than the odd grip. It looks like a pen 7 or 8 times the price it is unfortunately..... it leaks, if it stored nib down ink will leak out of the nib. I also imagine quality control is non-existent with this company. So if you buy this pen you are taking your chances....

Conclusion: (47/70 - 67%)

Despite its flaws I like this pen it looks nice and writes well. I'd say with a pen like this it's a hit or miss. It's either gonna work well or it's not. It's a good inexpensive pen all things considered and looks and writes like its expensive cousins. I had to tinker with it a bit to get it to write really well but now that it does I really like it.

post-96825-0-73302600-1358560289.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PolarMoonman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPDATE:

So I've had the pen for over a month now so I figured I'd write an update. It does not leak anymore and rarely has any nib creepage. I am very satisfied and love how it writes. The nib has tremendous flex and writes very consistently and smoothly with a bit of feedback. It is a fairly dry writer and puts down a fine line. So overall I love the pen.