The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Manuscript Calligraphy Lettering Kit Pen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AuthorofDarkness

AuthorofDarkness

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:55

Pen: Unknown
Make: Manuscript
Cost: $10
Nib: Fine

Packaging & Accessories: (10/10)
The pen came with 6 mini ink cartridges, a converter and several calligraphy nibs. So really awesome accessories. The packaging was a cardboardy texture that the accessories and pen sat in. The pen itself was in a plastic bag. A clear plastic sleeve went over it all.

Appearance & Design (8/10)
The pen looks very elegant, it has a silver and gold two tone nib and is made of a very thin metal. The grip is a bit odd but not too bad. There are gold accents and the pen looks expensive and very nice.

Construction & Quality (7/10)
The pen is made of very thin metal. But overall the pen feels very sturdy. And I have noticed no defects or issues with it yet. It is easy to take apart to clean but stays together well.

Weight & Dimensions: (7/10)
The pen is not very heavy. It has a nice weight and is comfortable to write with. When posted it has a nice balance and is a pleasure to use.

Nib & Performance: (3/10)
The nib looks gorgeous, but it did not work straight out of the box. Flow was terrible and almost non existent and the writing was extremely scratchy. So I examined it and saw the end of the nib was slightly curved inward. So I laid the nib on the paper and gently pushed till the nib was straight. Now that it is fixed it works really well, and is very smooth, but if I hadn't done some studying on nibs before this I would never have known how to fix it.

Filling System & Maintenance: (7/10)
The pen came with a converter, albeit a cheap one and six cartridges. The converter works fine but sometimes sticks and the ink cartridges were junk. Parker cartridges fit in it as well. So if I get sick of the converter that came with it, I will probably buy another Parker converter....

Cost & Value: (5/10)
I think this is good pen when it comes to design other than the odd grip. It looks like a pen 7 or 8 times the price it is unfortunately..... it leaks, if it stored nib down ink will leak out of the nib. I also imagine quality control is non-existent with this company. So if you buy this pen you are taking your chances....

Conclusion: (47/70 - 67%)
Despite its flaws I like this pen it looks nice and writes well. I'd say with a pen like this it's a hit or miss. It's either gonna work well or it's not. It's a good inexpensive pen all things considered and looks and writes like its expensive cousins. I had to tinker with it a bit to get it to write really well but now that it does I really like it.

Attached Images

• hello.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 AuthorofDarkness

AuthorofDarkness

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2013 - 23:49

UPDATE:

So I've had the pen for over a month now so I figured I'd write an update. It does not leak anymore and rarely has any nib creepage. I am very satisfied and love how it writes. The nib has tremendous flex and writes very consistently and smoothly with a bit of feedback. It is a fairly dry writer and puts down a fine line. So overall I love the pen.

Sponsored Content

|