#21 NedC

NedC

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2013 - 17:34

Find an ink that is very prone to nib creep and you'll never notice that little gap in the plating;)

#22 reprieve

reprieve

tightrope walker

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 22:58

I just checked my nibs. I have two rose gold nibs (B and BB) that have been reground to italics, as well as a ruthenium soft medium that was reground to a stub; they all show the plating underneath just like yours does. I have never noticed it until now--I only looked for it after seeing this post. All of my nibs write extraordinarily well, and I think they all look quite nice, too, even with that little bit of plating missing at the tip.

As for whether or not you should send it back... well, only you can decide that. If it truly bothers you (and I do understand why it might), I think you should contact John and see about getting a new nib. You should be able to enjoy your pen without something constantly niggling at the back of your mind.

#23 sadiemagic

sadiemagic

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2013 - 23:44

Just checked my own Nakaya, a Blue Dragon portable cigar, with the BB ground to a stub by John Mottishaw. There is a tiny bit of gold showing on the top as well.

Doesn't bother me, not even sure I ever noticed it before this thread. The pen writes like a dream. Didn't want a gold nib, wanted a white metal to complement the cool color of the blue-green dragon.
Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

#24 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:41

Hi,

This is one of the issues with rhodium plating or nib plating. Any nib work done will disrupt any plating that is there. When you get nib work done, not only is the bottom ground, the top is also ground. In my shop, when I do grinds like this, I clean the surface well and replate the disturbed spot to restore the look of the pen. The problem comes with gold-plated steel nibs. There are so many colors of gold plating, and simply replating it will put a spot on the nib of a different color that would be noticeable since the eyes are so sensitive. What I do is carefully grind so as not to disturb the plating on the main body of the nib so that only the top of the tipping ball is silver and is polished to a mirror-like finish. This makes for a nib that looks more "professionally done." This works because the steel and the tipping are both of a similar color, so we don't see what we see with the gold nib.

Finish work on nibs is extremely important. One can't have scratches on odd parts. Everything has to be polished and look clean and perfect. In my early nib repair days, I wasn't as nit picky about these things (If I did a nib for you in the past and it wasn't well finished, I'll take care of it for you. Send it back to me), but for quite some time now, I consider it a high priority to make everything look polished. One should be proud enough of their work to take a picture of it with a good macro lense and post the picture on the wall in a large size. To my knowledge, Richard Binder of all people is very careful with how his nibs are finished. Greg Minuskin is another person who is also careful with this. These are things that are very important and need to be looked at. That said, I'm really wondering what is the best route for you to go with replating. I do rhodium, but I don't have as much experience redoing the other finishes that Nakaya uses on their nibs. I certainly don't know what shade Nakaya is using for their rose gold nibs. We don't want a shade mismatch.

Personally, if I had a ruthenium nib that was done that way, I would probably replate the entire nib to make it match. I don't have a source for ruthenium plating solutions and other things though. While I wish I could possibly help you all with that, I'm not sure I can. If you are like me, I can certainly see why you would be bothered with such a thing. I think it's a big deal.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo, 21 January 2013 - 05:43.

Sheaffer Lady and Parker Falcon fs
Apple Macbook owners, please read!
HP/RPN fellowship

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#25 MalcolmH

MalcolmH

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,744 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:28

Just to go back to the pen...it is beautiful. Can I ask what the Kanji says?

#26 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:34

I think your pen is absolutely beautiful. *swoon

#27 larsbj

larsbj

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:31

Just checked my own Nakaya, a Blue Dragon portable cigar, with the BB ground to a stub by John Mottishaw. There is a tiny bit of gold showing on the top as well.

Doesn't bother me, not even sure I ever noticed it before this thread. The pen writes like a dream. Didn't want a gold nib, wanted a white metal to complement the cool color of the blue-green dragon.

Same with my Naka-Ai B stub from JM purchased last october. Have noticed it but never really paid any attention to it.

LBj
Favorite of the day: My Rosetta Magellan in mosaic w. Pendelton broad buttersmooth nib

#28 TDL

TDL

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:25

I have a Blue Dragon with a broad nib ground to cursive italic by JM, Ruthenium. I have just looked closely and cannot see any gold showing, but that might be just my eyesight. I suggest calling Nibs.com and having a chat.

Edited by TDL, 02 February 2013 - 11:26.

The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

#29 Siv

Siv

Inky fingers

• Member - Gold

• 2,755 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 17:04

I feel like I need to post an update here. Is this pen perfect? Nope. But it hasn't left my hand in the last 3 weeks. It's a part of my kit & routine and the imperfection is becoming part of its character.

What I'm trying to say is that this pen is not going back and you'll probably find it in my pocket when I go cold.
Posted Image
Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

#30 JustinJ

JustinJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2013 - 17:48

I feel like I need to post an update here. Is this pen perfect? Nope. But it hasn't left my hand in the last 3 weeks. It's a part of my kit & routine and the imperfection is becoming part of its character.

What I'm trying to say is that this pen is not going back and you'll probably find it in my pocket when I go cold.

I found that my Decapod Twist grew on me. I was not overwhelmed with the pen at first, but found myself using it everyday. It is now one of my fountain pens that I would not sell. It is definitely a keeper for me. It reminds me of a lightweight agile sport car. It is the pen that I reach for when sitting down to do a puzzle, crossword or another relaxing task.

[Sponsored Content]