The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Noodler's Lexington Gray

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LostInBrittany

LostInBrittany

Loaded with iron gall ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2013 - 23:11

LiB Stylo-plumes

Last week I received a pen that I had waited for a long time, a Noodler's Konrad Ebonite, and in the same parcel an ink I had wanted to test for a long time : Noodler's Lexington Gray.

I wanted to test both of them, so I loaded the Konrad with the Lexington and I began to write. The ebonite Konrad was wonderful, but I will review it another day, because today is the Lexington Gray that is reviewed.

It's a nice ink, really nice. The color reminds me of graphite pencil's color, it almost looks like pencil on paper. t's easy on eyes, less aggressive that a black, less bright than a blue and more original than a blue-black. An ink I think I will use a lot for daily note taking.

Inks Review : Noodler's Lexington Gray

I was rather surprised by the ultra fast dry time, and by the good behaviour of this ink on almost any paper, specially on cheap paper. It's a great ink : bulletproof, fast drying, well behaved in any paper and a nice color, what else could you want?

As usual, I've also posted the review on my fountain pen blog.

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Titanic9990

Titanic9990

discipulus in perpetuum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 00:05

An ink review from the future! :blink: (It's still January 17 here) -and an excellent one at that :thumbup:

Edited by Titanic9990, 18 January 2013 - 00:05.

"Vae me, puto concacavi me!" -Seneca

ἄριστον μέν ὕδωρ μέλαν

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Inked and Ready

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:20

What a good pen day you're having. I don't care for black ink (though I have 2 bottles of it Posted Image) Lexington Gray looks like a good alternative...it's not quite as hard looking.
www.lettermatters.com
P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

#4 bulbboy

bulbboy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:28

Looks good!

Thanks for the review, I'm putting that on my list!

#5 P.A.R.

P.A.R.

Eagle Scout studying Mechanical Engineering

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 17:52

Was excited to get a bottle of this for Christmas. I agree with all of your comments about its comparison's to blacks and blues. Definitely an excellent alternative to black ink (which will now be reserved for my italic calligraphy practice :thumbup: )
Assume no affiliation to recommendations.
Posted Image
Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

#6 bulbboy

bulbboy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 20:54

I saw your post the other day and I was thinking "Why would anyone want gray ink?" But the more I looked at your handwriting the more intrigued I was!

Mine came in yesterday's mail and I absolutely love it (am I allowed to love ink?)

Thanks for the tip!

#7 CAG_1787

CAG_1787

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 17:41

Great review of one of my favorite inks!
“You cultivate the essential virtues: high purpose, intelligence, decency, humility, fear of the Lord, and the passion for freedom.” - William F. Buckley, Jr.

#8 Inguz

Inguz

or something

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 19:47

This look like a beautiful color. How would you compare it to Fuyu Syogun? Wondering since I already have the Pilot.

#9 tnmike1

tnmike1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 20:10

I have samples of both Lexington and Fuyu. Lexington is darker, doesn't shade as well and is bulletproof. I like both, but Fuyu is a bluish-type gray which is very close to a vintage Waterman Blue Black that I have, so for the price difference I'm sticking to Lexington for my gray ink.
Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

#10 Penguin.

Penguin.

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 20:29

Thank you for this review! I had this ink on my wish list for a while now (mostly cuz I wanted the free grey eyedropper pen that comes with the larger bottles). I also agree with what you said about the other main boring colors. & I just like grey. I'm going to match this ink with a grey nib creaper and a grey linen leuchtturm 1917 notebook, good for doodles. :)
"You know, fire is the leading cause of fire." -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

"Inflammable means flammable!?..." -Dr. Nick Riviera

#11 Inguz

Inguz

or something

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2013 - 23:13

I have samples of both Lexington and Fuyu. Lexington is darker, doesn't shade as well and is bulletproof. I like both, but Fuyu is a bluish-type gray which is very close to a vintage Waterman Blue Black that I have, so for the price difference I'm sticking to Lexington for my gray ink.

Thanks Mike!

#12 Master and Commander

Master and Commander

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:46

Thanks Mike!

I have a bottle of Fuyu, but haven't given Lexington a go. In general, I really like Nooders' inks, especially the bulletproof variety. I think I might get the Lexington after this review. I love writing long letters to my father and the gray color gives them this great "aged" look, like it's something that's been kept in the family for generations. With Lexington being bulletproof, it'll be around forever. Fuyu isn't bulletproof, which for me, is it's greatest detriment.

Edited by roloughlin, 04 February 2013 - 01:47.

"I wish to have no connection to any ship that does not sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." - John Paul Jones

Sponsored Content

|