New Tibaldi Celluloid Pens. What Do You Think?

Bryant

Oh, you mean I supposed to read the ad? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I didn't even read that. Agree a Tibaldi 1930s pen with that shape is hard to find. Maybe it was a typo that someone missed: 1950 instead of 1930.

Yes, you were supposed to read the ad. :mad:

I think the typo was 2013 instead of 1930.

On an aside note, did any Italian maker make an Ogival shaped pen in the 1930's.

As an alternative explanation, that was clearly written by the marketing dept; and even granting marketing some leeway, given the history of the Tibaldi brand is it really a surprise that some don't even know the historic pens?

Maybe we should send them a copy of "The Tibaldi Fountain Pens" by Enrico Bettazzi and Letizia Jacopini.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AltecGreen

• raging.dragon

• eric47

• bugmd

Oh, you mean I supposed to read the ad? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I didn't even read that. Agree a Tibaldi 1930s pen with that shape is hard to find. Maybe it was a typo that someone missed: 1950 instead of 1930.

Yes, you were supposed to read the ad. :mad:

Oh, I just look at the pictures, like some magazines fountain pen books. :roflmho:

On an aside note, did any Italian maker make an Ogival shaped pen in the 1930's.

I thought about that as well. Most of the famous ones released Ogival shaped pens post-WW II. DId any pen maker -- Italian or otherwise -- make Ogival shaped pens in the 1930s?

Maybe we should send them a copy of "The Tibaldi Fountain Pens" by Enrico Bettazzi and Letizia Jacopini.

It's out of print, as is their other book: TIBALDI: A Story of Fountain-Pens and Men.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Bry, have to tell you that I much prefer the pens form the '90s. The new versions look nouveau riche to me. Horrible photos but you get the idea.

P1030326.JPG

P1030452.JPG

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

I think the term you need is Nouveau "NICHE"! :-)

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

the newer ones are just Montegrappa and Stipula in another incarnation.

its a stipula with montegrappa section

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Bry, have to tell you that I much prefer the pens form the '90s. The new versions look nouveau riche to me. Horrible photos but you get the idea.

P1030326.JPG

P1030452.JPG

:notworthy1: :puddle: I am just jaleous. Now you give me another bad idea of what pens I need to add to my collection :roflmho:

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Beautiful pen bodies, but I hate the clips! I don't need a decorative clip, just one that works. I want the rest of the pen and the nib to shine, not the clip.

Tamara

I love the theme. The green is quite striking and the sterling clips and bands are quite nice. I would have to hold one to know how the section worked for me.

Michael

I agree - the original vintage pens are wonderful - the 90s versions are attractive, but I understand the filling system is defective on some of the pens. I concur with many commentators who detest the metal sections, on these or the newer Montblanc pens as well. Seems as if this is a trend.

Dayne

Dayne

Only two other pens I would like to own as much as an older Tibaldi Impero.

Tibaldi is not the only pen company that bewilders by ignoring the beautiful and tasteful designs of the past.

I suppose my preference is the older Tibaldis.

Edited by karmakoda

I agree - the original vintage pens are wonderful - the 90s versions are attractive, but I understand the filling system is defective on some of the pens. I concur with many commentators who detest the metal sections, on these or the newer Montblanc pens as well. Seems as if this is a trend.

Dayne

Some folks did have problems with the fillers but honestly the ONLY ones that I have ever heard that had problems were the blue/ivory Modello 60's. Over that years I have had a couple of dozen of the '90s versions of these pens and only 1 of the 60s that I had developed the problem. It was repaired by lex and no trouble since. I love these pens, especially the Trasparente, Iride and Impero.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

• 5 weeks later...

Looking at the Tibaldi bodies: I assume they are made of celluloid- I think it said that in their literature. It's a beautiful material, lovely depth and colors. Thanks to BUGMD for the fine photos of his pens. Actually prettier than the Tibaldis. I'm new to pen collecting and so far have focused my collection of materials on sterling (Parker, Waterman), lacquer over brass (Dupont, Sheaffer, Parker & Waterman)and the acrylic used in the Parker Duofold Centennials. Would like to know more about celluloid pens, especially Montegrappa (Glenn's Pensite has an informative article on his visit to Montegrappa and other Italian makers.) Any thoughts or book references you FPNers want to share about pen makers specializing in celluloid AND the quality of their nibs? :notworthy1:

Would like to know more about celluloid pens, especially Montegrappa (Glenn's Pensite has an informative article on his visit to Montegrappa and other Italian makers.) Any thoughts or book references you FPNers want to share about pen makers specializing in celluloid AND the quality of their nibs? :notworthy1:

Modern or vintage. Celluloid was the standard materials for pens from the 1920's through the 1940's. There are not that many modern makers using celluloid and the modern material while nice pales in comparison to what was once available.

On another note, I handled the new Tibaldi pens while at the LA Pen Show. The material was nice and the clips don't look as horrendous in person. The metal section still kills the whole design. The pens were actually rather small.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Looking at the Tibaldi bodies: I assume they are made of celluloid- I think it said that in their literature. It's a beautiful material, lovely depth and colors. Thanks to BUGMD for the fine photos of his pens. Actually prettier than the Tibaldis. I'm new to pen collecting and so far have focused my collection of materials on sterling (Parker, Waterman), lacquer over brass (Dupont, Sheaffer, Parker & Waterman)and the acrylic used in the Parker Duofold Centennials. Would like to know more about celluloid pens, especially Montegrappa (Glenn's Pensite has an informative article on his visit to Montegrappa and other Italian makers.) Any thoughts or book references you FPNers want to share about pen makers specializing in celluloid AND the quality of their nibs? :notworthy1:

OMAS and Montegrappa have regular production pens made with celluloid. These companies, plus Stipula and Delta frequently use celluloid for their limited edition pens. Up until a year or so ago Visconti made quite a few celluloid pens.

Going beyond Italy, Platinum/Nakaya make celluloid pens. Edison and other US based custom and semi-custom pen makers often use celluloid. Bexley have made some limited edition pens in celluloid.

A Stipula and a Jinhao got drunk one night and made out behind the dumpster. 9 months later, this pen was born. :P (Ah, i'm kidding.) The colours are definitely quite nice. Especially the "Indian Rainbow" one.

Everyone has pretty much hit it. Bryant is the greatest, but on this pen, hmmm. Celluloid is such a warm and elegant material, it just seems to me, that it needs to be left as much possible to speak for it self. Design, furniture, metal all need to be a backseat player to the star, and those are too loud in my view in metal and design. It detracts for the celluloid as the eye is drawn to metal I get it, it is art nouveau, but its just too overwhelming to the material especially in light of the classic vintage.

I imagine Tibaldi must be, disappointed, with the responses.

Combining the big step between barrel and section, with reports that these are small pens, these pens must have truly lilliputian section diameter. Which doesn't suit my preferences.

I'd like to see these celluloids in a larger pen with a better section design.