Montblanc Pens For Investment

xianyen

Hi fellow Montblanc pen users & collectors.Which pens that can be still purchased at a reasonable price do you consider are going to have the most upside in the next 10 to 20 years as an investment?I know that someone will say that pens are not an investment but in the age where fountain pens are almost obsolete the increase in prices being paid for certain pens clearly shows that they have been a good investment in the past for some of us.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xianyen

• Pen Nut

• sunnerd

• mmahany

I'm sorry to disagree. The few examples that have increased in value more than inflation are exceptions and impossible to predict.

I disagree as well. Very few pens increase in value over time. And even if they do, the increase won`t be substantial, especially if you buy the pen at the full retail price(which i never do because it`s a waste of money).

This applies to other objects as well, such as watches, for instance.

Edited by rochester21

Hi fellow Montblanc pen users & collectors.Which pens that can be still purchased at a reasonable price do you consider are going to have the most upside in the next 10 to 20 years as an investment?

If I knew the answer to this question you'd be the last person I'd tell. Why should you make the money and not me?

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Pens for investments has a major issue for me, even if it was a viable one, and that is they would alsmost certainly have to be boxed,unused, with all documentation and probably in the original sealed box with an accompanying x-ray picture to prove what was within.

I cannot put a price of pride of ownership and using what I have so if I lose a touch, breakeven or part exchange against another pen to draw some money back I am ok with that.

There maybe some extreme high end ultra low LE pens that do increase but at what rate I really have no idea.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-chores038.gif

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

As an investment I would suggest the Montblanc pens of the 1940s, 50s, 60s and early 70s. I would not expect any Montblanc pen made after 1975 or so to maintain pace with inflation over the next half century.

My Website

Here's mytake on your question....It depends what an investment is to you.

The best investment is the one you're happy with. It isn't about how much moneyit has made you.

Here's a few points for thought.

1.) Paying full retail price for a pen….that’s going to be a conservativeinvestment with not a lot of return. Here are a few numbers to consider. We’lluse the example that you bought a $500 pen today and how much prices wouldn’tneed to be in 10 years for you to get a certain return:

2%-It wouldneed to be worth $609

5%-It wouldneed to be worth $814

10%- It wouldneed to be worth $1296

Factor ininsurance, storage costs (if you kept it in a safety deposit box), and othervarious fees and those numbers need to be significantly higher.

2.) The nextway to consider pens as an investment is market arbitrage. That meansessentially buying the pen in one market and selling it in another. I personalhave done this with great success. Here’s a certain example: You see a guyselling a pen on craigslist. He got it as a wedding gift. He’s only asking $120for it. However, you know that the same pen in the same condition goes for $200on ebay. Buy the pen, resell it and make a few bucks.

You’ll oftenhear grumpy people say that you’re taking advantage of people. They’re justignorant. You’re taking a risk buying the pen, you’re spending your time tofind the good deal, and then you’re marketing it to someone else who is willingto pay more than you paid…..that’s called business. Acting as a middle man andbeing compensated for your time is perfectly ethical and honest.

3.) Rarity-Thisis a reasonable way to consider a pen as an investment. If you can buy alimited or special edition, it’s value will go up if the demand isstill high yet the supply is no longer there. If you bought a Hemingway Writer’sedition for $500 back in the 90s, I’d say that would be a pretty goodinvestment.

Other factorsto consider are:

Opportunitycost- Could you invest that money in the stock market and earn the same returnswith less hassle?

Risk- What if you buy a fake? What if a pen getsdamaged in a move? What if prices go down?

Demand- Whatif people stop collecting Mont Blancs? What if you buy a classique ballpointand people lose interest in a commonplace Mont Blanc pen.

I’m afinancial advisor by profession so I look at almost any purchase I make fromjewelry, to cars, to stocks as an investment. In the end, does the benefitoutweigh the cost?

As an investment I would suggest the Montblanc pens of the 1940s, 50s, 60s and early 70s. I would not expect any Montblanc pen made after 1975 or so to maintain pace with inflation over the next half century.

Thanks for your thoughts which I fully agree with.This means that from the postings to date most of us collect these pens because either we are addicted,stupid or simply have a love for the pen & a bygone time.At least for myself I feel all of these apply.Still happy collecting.

The gold content in the nib may be a better investment. :rolleyes:

A 149 made of gold would be the best investment in a pen due to rarity, the state that it's an icon and of course, gold. So when the market for fountain pens become really really tiny you can melt the gold if it has to come to that. :thumbup:

There have been many valid points made in the posts above. The fact remains that there are many different markets in which to sell and buy pens. Local purchases & sales / craigslist etc. Pen shows, formal auction, e-bay, FPN, pen-sellers (Chatterley etc) and your own web-site / contacts. The extra costs involved in both buying and selling in these different markets can make the difference between making money and loosing it. Postage & insurance costs also are a major factor.

The older MBs are rising in value but there are still good bargains to be had if you know (or are lucky enough) where to look. Patience is also required. Repair costs vary considerably and ou need to get a handle on what repairs each pen will require which is not always easy unless you handle the pen first before making a final decision. If you buy a pen for $500 then have to spend $700 on a repair, you may need to sell the pen for over $1500 to cover all your costs / time etc. It may be possible to sell it for $2000 to the right buyer but you need to find them. All of this can actually be fun and there's no money that can replace that. I just love looking, collecting, using, sometimes repairing and then selling if I really grow bored of a pen. If I break even or loose money, I have no problem with that so long as it doesn't become excessive. If I am potentially going to loose a lot on a pen, I'd rather keep it and use it :-)

Montblanc POA Series

A 149 made of gold would be the best investment in a pen due to rarity, the state that it's an icon and of course, gold. So when the market for fountain pens become really really tiny you can melt the gold if it has to come to that. :thumbup:

How much does a solid gold pen weigh? How much is it worth and what is the gold value worth?

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

How much does a solid gold pen weigh? How much is it worth and what is the gold value worth?

No idea. A pen will obviously be worth much more than its gold content but its worth rests on demand. Makes me wonder what happens when the new generation takes the reins.

Here's my two cents:

About this time last year, I invested $18k into a collection that had a full secondary market (best day) value of about $32k. Made sense.

So far, I've made a good trade for an early Bell & Ross launch watch (BR01-94-SBla-035/500 ~ $7.5k), and have sold two other pens for fair value.

I'm still sitting on the Dragons, as their market value has dropped to what I paid for them (if recent specialty auctions are a reliable yardstick). I'm expecting them to come up again over time, and I'm in no great hurry to get the cash back out of them.

I have no plans to lose any value, but the profit potential was over-represented at best, and a cruel joke at worst.

When it comes to making money on these, it's all about finding the right person at the right time (which usually means someone with the cash, irrational desire, and a scarce supply, all at the same time).

On the other hand, who would have thought that a $550 Hemingway would have reached $3600 at it's height (they seem to be back down to $2500 lately). I paid $3k for mine, and I'm happy with it. It will go in my Will to my sons...

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

It seems the consensus is: if you buy a "rare" or limited edition cheap enough and hold them long enough, then they are likely to appreciate. Now, that sure is not to say that the appreciation will beat anything else.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

As if the majority of replies suggests that pens are not an investment what are the reasons for having such a large collection when we only need one pen to write with?

As if the majority of replies suggests that pens are not an investment what are the reasons for having such a large collection when we only need one pen to write with?

Well, each fountain pen is different, the nib, nib size, nib material, the shape and weight of the pen, etc. You can look at it like getting to know people, why make other friends when you know that guy down the block? :roflmho: You can really appreciate the uniqueness of a fountain pen given that a good one is hand tuned and inspected before hitting shelves.

The little things really count.

No idea. A pen will obviously be worth much more than its gold content but its worth rests on demand. Makes me wonder what happens when the new generation takes the reins.

I will weigh mine and post the result. Think we need to remember that its inner workings will not be made of gold, although the pocket clip is which suprised me, so how we work out the actual 18ct gold content is beyond me.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

What !!!! Thats just the sort or argument Mrs Pen Nut puts forward.

Leave the forum at once. Goodbye.

I disagree as well. Very few pens increase in value over time. And even if they do, the increase won`t be substantial, especially if you buy the pen at the full retail price(which i never do because it`s a waste of money).

This applies to other objects as well, such as watches, for instance.

I think you might find that the original buyers of the Hemingway or the Christie who paid the original Montblanc retail price may disagree with you on that one.

I bought a Jules Verne at the original Montblanc UK price and it's certainly worth more than that price now.