Update Wahl-Eversharp Pens Live!

Wahlnut

I would much rather that objective observers who attended the LA Pen show give their unbiased reports without me giving what some might view as very self-serving comments about the quality and attractiveness, and prformance of the pens.

So, I will just say that the Launch/Rebirth of The Wahl-Eversharp Pen Company went rather well. Many many people stopped by and I am hoarse tonight from the many animated conversations that took place. Sales were brisk enough for me, and a lot of folks really enjoyed the flexible, stainless steel gold plated ceramic coated nib on the demonstrator we let people play with. People would start to write, stop and look up at me like Whoa! whats going on here! THAT was fun. My Aluminum pens (Natural, Cobalt Blue and the Midnight Blue/Black one with the Black ceramic coated nib) arrived in prototype only form on Saturday Morning after a marathon round-robin with the US Customs folks in NYC! That ordeal was enough to give me 3 days of major indigestion! All in all there were 18 models on display. And to answer those who have asked here, the Website should be up and running mid-week this week. Sorry for that delay but the pictures of the pens were not up to the standard I was hoping for and I had to take them anew myself; some of them just tonight!

I await the unbiased reviews posted by others, just like the rest of you,

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wahlnut

• raging.dragon

• Drone

• Harlequin

Syd, in case it doesn't catch your notice: in AltecGreen's report on the show (which only needs Sunday to wrap up), he has some great photos of your table, pens, displays, etc.It was a little hard to realize we were witnessing a "maiden voyage", because everything was so refined.

I'm glad to hear it was a good show for you, and apologize for adding to your hoarseness!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

If all goes as planned, the new WAHL-EVERSHARP Company website should be up and running sometime tomorrow. Just go to

http://www.wahleversharp.com

Also, I want to thank everyone on FPN for l the support.

Syd

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Everything looks great on the website. I hope you'll consider adding the Chicago Pen Show this year. Not just because I'd like to see the pens. :) But also because of the brand's connection to the city.

Yup the W-E site is up now - with prices. The pens are beautiful; and so is the Web site. It looks like there's some ready stock too (as of post time). The prices aren't outrageous IMO (Yay!) So, lookin' good so far W-E. Once again the link...

http://www.wahleversharp.com

Prices range from $150 to $369 USD. The Skyliner pens come boxed with a color-matched toy car. Nice touch! From the pictures and descriptions, the boxes seem very nice on the higher-end pens.

The SKYLINE Classic (my favorite) is $199 USD. That's about fifty bucks more than I can go for as a first adopter. So I didn't pull the trigger. I'll wait and see how the reviews go. The fifty bucks of water over my head will drain away if the nib is reported to be something other than your ordinary stainless-steel nail. Otherwise it's back to vintage for me.

If only there were some independent reviews of the debut at the L.A. pen show last week. Sigh...

Congratulations Syd and everyone at the new Wahl-Eversharp Company. I wish you the best of luck...

Edited by Drone

The new Skylines look really good. What are their dimensions? Are they the same as the vintage standard Skylines? How does the section diameter compare to modern standard yardsticks like the MB Meisterstucks and Pelikan Souverains?

The new Skylines look really good. What are their dimensions? Are they the same as the vintage standard Skylines? How does the section diameter compare to modern standard yardsticks like the MB Meisterstucks and Pelikan Souverains?

The pens were made to match exact specifications (to the three decimal place) coming from the original Skyline Senior size (not oversize). The Resin body pens Length capped 5.5", as the section is tapered and flared as was the original at its base it measures .3855" in the middle it measures .365" and at its front flare it measures .3855". these dimensions are within 5 thousandths of an inch of the original Skylines. In fact the new caps fit old Skylines and vice versa. We did not mess with the classic design as we believe that is what made them popular then as now. However the metal body pens (the Award and the Technik Aluminum Series) measure a bit longer and a tiny amount thicker in the barrel but have the same section as above.

Syd

Edited by Wahlnut

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Did you not read my comments from my LA Pen show report?

@AlecGreen, no I did not see your L.A. Pen Show coverage. Very nice. Thanks for the link.

Did you write with the pens? I really would like to see some reviews about how the semi-flex ceramic coated nibs feel.

Syd, Will the SKYLINE "Award 18K Gold Nib" pen be optionally available with the ceramic coated semi-flex gold plated stainless steel instead of the 18K nib? If-so, I'm hoping the price will be lower as-well ;-)

Thanks, David

Syd, Will the SKYLINE "Award 18K Gold Nib" pen be optionally available with the ceramic coated semi-flex gold plated stainless steel instead of the 18K nib? If-so, I'm hoping the price will be lower as-well ;-)

I don't get it: the "Award" collection looks just like that - something that you would be awarded. First-class. Top-of-the-line.

Why would you want to have that nice of a pen, only to put a lower-level nib in it? (except for the obvious reason) Hey, I may not want to pop that much for it, either, but I can certainly appreciate the pairing of a body with a nib like it comes with. No one wants brown shoes with a black suit...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

The pens were made to match exact specifications (to the three decimal place) coming from the original Skyline Senior size (not oversize). The Resin body pens Length capped 5.5", as the section is tapered and flared as was the original at its base it measures .3855" in the middle it measures .365" and at its front flare it measures .3855". these dimensions are within 5 thousandths of an inch of the original Skylines. In fact the new caps fit old Skylines and vice versa. We did not mess with the classic design as we believe that is what made them popular then as now. However the metal body pens (the Award and the Technik Aluminum Series) measure a bit longer and a tiny amount thicker in the barrel but have the same section as above.

Syd

Thanks for the detailed specs!

I don't get it: the "Award" collection looks just like that - something that you would be awarded. First-class. Top-of-the-line.

Why would you want to have that nice of a pen, only to put a lower-level nib in it? (except for the obvious reason) Hey, I may not want to pop that much for it, either, but I can certainly appreciate the pairing of a body with a nib like it comes with. No one wants brown shoes with a black suit...

The gold nib may not flex as much as the "ceramic coated semi-flex SS nib" as the Web site calls it. That's why.

But we'll just have to wait and see what the reviews are on the nibs.

Hi Syd,

I just bought myself a birthday present from your new company. I love the website, the selections of pens and of course being born in 1950, I just had to buy a 50's pen. The red corvette is such a cool extra and it will be the only one that I will ever be able to afford :clap1:

Just one thing about the order form. Unless I am mistaken, the provinces don't come up when the default country is changed to Canada. Therefore I live in Ohio instead of Ontario. :o

All the best,

Karin

Fountain Pen Abundance

Did you not read my comments from my LA Pen show report?

@AlecGreen, no I did not see your L.A. Pen Show coverage. Very nice. Thanks for the link.

Did you write with the pens? I really would like to see some reviews about how the semi-flex ceramic coated nibs feel.

AltecGreen's review of the Los Angeles Pen Show (which is a huge amount of information to search through) he reported using the pen with the Semi-Flex gold plated Ceramic Coated stainless steel nib. He said:

"I asked Syd about the 'ceramic nibs'. So these nibs are steel nibs that have been gold plated and then had a ceramic coating applied over that. Syd gave me a pen to try and it was very smooth and wrote very well. The price points are more than reasonable and the pens themselves are very well made. They are a high quality product."

I know it would be better put into a post directly from AltecGreen himself, but there it is for your convenience. If you want to find it in his post for yourself, it is right below the picture of the Menthol Green die cast Corvette car that comes with the Skyline 50's Collection pens (which do not carry that nib by the way).

syd

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Hi Syd,

I just bought myself a birthday present from your new company. I love the website, the selections of pens and of course being born in 1950, I just had to buy a 50's pen. The red corvette is such a cool extra and it will be the only one that I will ever be able to afford :clap1:

Just one thing about the order form. Unless I am mistaken, the provinces don't come up when the default country is changed to Canada. Therefore I live in Ohio instead of Ontario. :o

All the best,

Karin

Happy Birthday and THANK YOU for your purchase and support. I will have to speak to my webmaster on Monday about the adaptation of the order form to change to formats that support provinces or other address formats to fit the most common configurations used in other countries. Details are important to us in setting up the site, but that one must have escaped our notice,

Syd

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Thanks, David

I have received a few questions back channel at wahlnut@wahleversharp.com email address about nib swaps. Funny, I elected to have extra 18K nibs for eople who wanted to upgrade, but not extra semi-flex gold plated stainless steel ceramic coated nibs for people to "downgrade" to. My fault.

Having said that I see no reason why a person can not custom order a pen from us with the switch you mention. The price differential has not been calculated, but I imagine it will bring the end cost of the pen you mention down significantly. If that interests you go ahead and contact me via PM or direct to the email address above and I will try work with you.

Syd

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Boy those pens are beautiful!

Just spent a good hour on this site - very nice.

Good luck Syd and Co.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

Can you make a Skyline in an oversize model with at least .41" grip section like the MB 146? I find it too small of a grip which will cause cramping, but I do love the design.

I would much rather that objective observers who attended the LA Pen show give their unbiased reports without me giving what some might view as very self-serving comments about the quality and attractiveness, and prformance of the pens.

So, I will just say that the Launch/Rebirth of The Wahl-Eversharp Pen Company went rather well. Many many people stopped by and I am hoarse tonight from the many animated conversations that took place. Sales were brisk enough for me, and a lot of folks really enjoyed the flexible, stainless steel gold plated ceramic coated nib on the demonstrator we let people play with. People would start to write, stop and look up at me like Whoa! whats going on here! THAT was fun. My Aluminum pens (Natural, Cobalt Blue and the Midnight Blue/Black one with the Black ceramic coated nib) arrived in prototype only form on Saturday Morning after a marathon round-robin with the US Customs folks in NYC! That ordeal was enough to give me 3 days of major indigestion! All in all there were 18 models on display. And to answer those who have asked here, the Website should be up and running mid-week this week. Sorry for that delay but the pictures of the pens were not up to the standard I was hoping for and I had to take them anew myself; some of them just tonight!

I await the unbiased reviews posted by others, just like the rest of you,

Syd

Can you make a Skyline in an oversize model with at least .41" grip section like the MB 146? I find it too small of a grip which will cause cramping, but I do love the design.

I'd also like a scaled up Skyline if it's possible to make one. I've always liked the look of vintage Skylines, and similarly like the looks of your new production Skylines (especially the carbon fibre!), yet I prefer over sized pens. Even the Skyline executives are smaller than I'm used to.

Edited by raging.dragon