The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Platinum Century Bourgogne Review

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jpzahra

jpzahra

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 15:04

Here goes my first review..... Hope you all enjoy! JP

Attached Images

• Platinum Bourgogne Review.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Inkwellpens

Inkwellpens

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 15:16

Thanks for the review, I have been looking at one of these for a while and the new Chatres Blue. Do you know how the fine nib compares to other Chinese fine nibs? Maybe a pilot Prera or Capless?
www.thepenandinkwell.com @ inkwellpens

#3 jpzahra

jpzahra

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 15:17

soo sorry for the crappy pic quality.... scanner broken... hope its still up to scratch

JP

#4 jpzahra

jpzahra

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 15:35

These Japanese nibs seem to be my new love after years of owning european pens. Don't have a Prera or a Capless and my only other Japanese Pen is a Sailor Sapporo Zoom nib (definitely not fine). I DO however sort of own two other Japanese pens but unfortunately they're still in the post (can't wait for them to arrive). Will compare once they arrive - Sailor NT MF and a Vintage Sailor Calligraphy...
As compared to my other fine nibs it lays as fine a line as a TWSBI EF nib but more wet and smooth flowing and doesn't tend to dry up so easily if left uncapped for a long period.

#5 larsbj

larsbj

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 20:35

Thank you, jpzhara! Nice review. I have excactly the same pen, but have not had the chance to ink it up and try it. Hope I get around to doing it soon, based on the review it seems like a good choice :thumbup:
Favorite of the day: Nakaya Naka-ai Heki tame.

#6 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 21:46

lovely pen, thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#7 VirtuThe3rd

VirtuThe3rd

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 13:11

Thanks for sharing the nice review!! :thumbup:

#8 jacksterp

jacksterp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2013 - 20:35

The more I see of the 3776 the more I am lusting.

Nice review, thanks.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice; damn
There goes that fox again.

#9 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:44

I also have one of these in Broad - beautiful pen and beautiful nib. I'd never heard of Platinum Fountain Pens until I joined the FPN, but what a find. I also have a Tortoise with a Music Nib, Shoji Medium, 3776 SF, and countless Plaisirs. Next is the Chartres Blue... But what nib?

#10 Nonsensical

Nonsensical

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:47

I am currently trying to decide between buying one of these ...or the Chartres Blue...Really tough choice. Luckily, I have several months to decide. That does mean that I have to wait a long time before I'll have a new pen in my hands. :mellow:

Great review, may have just made me decide on the Bourgogne instead of the Chartres Blue.

#11 nicholasyeo

nicholasyeo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 17:20

Nice! I wish the pen had more transparence but I think we should not ask for too much. Here Platinum has already put up a great value pen!

#12 Les49

Les49

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:04

Great review! Gorgeous Pen - thanks.
"Elves very seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill". .... Gildor Inglorien

#13 marigolds

marigolds

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:07

My husband brought me one from Tokyo today--it is DIVINE. It writes so beautifully. I'm in love! (With the husband AND the pen!) Great review!

#14 vondauster

vondauster

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:26

I also have one of these in Broad - beautiful pen and beautiful nib. I'd never heard of Platinum Fountain Pens until I joined the FPN, but what a find. I also have a Tortoise with a Music Nib, Shoji Medium, 3776 SF, and countless Plaisirs. Next is the Chartres Blue... But what nib?

Mine is also a broad nib, more a European medium, and stays in my rotation with iroshizuku yama-budo ink.

Must resist the temptation to get the Chartres Blue version. Must. Seriously... :puddle:

Will
-----------------

Will von Dauster

#15 steb

steb

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:58

Oooh those fine fine nibs...just delightful. Thanks for the review

#16 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2013 - 16:42

Here goes my first review..... Hope you all enjoy! JP

I'm really considering one of these - don't really mind which colour. What size nib did you get, by the way? I'm thinking along the lines of the M as nibs.com suggest this is about 0.49mm wide. I think the fine would be a little on the thin side. What do you reckon? (I like Pelikan F if that's any use as a guide.)

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#17 Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon

Pen Quest

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2013 - 17:11

I'm looking at one of these also.  Where did you purchase it?

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

#18 jpzahra

jpzahra

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2013 - 20:21

So.... Got 3 Platinums and a Nakaya now. Must say my favourites are probably the soft fines, but that's cause my handwriting gets real small when I'm writing in a rush at work. My medium President is a great writer though. If looking to compare to a fine Pelikan then I'd go for a medium. Bought all my Platinums off engeika on ebay - great service ( have no connection but have bought 5 pens from taizo).

#19 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2013 - 20:39

So.... Got 3 Platinums and a Nakaya now. Must say my favourites are probably the soft fines, but that's cause my handwriting gets real small when I'm writing in a rush at work. My medium President is a great writer though. If looking to compare to a fine Pelikan then I'd go for a medium. Bought all my Platinums off engeika on ebay - great service ( have no connection but have bought 5 pens from taizo).

Thanks, that's great information. I think the Fine would be a bit too narrow for me and the Soft Fine, perhaps just a little too springy for my taste. However the Omas Fine Extra Flessibile is rather tasty!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Sponsored Content

|