The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc 146 (1950's)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2013 - 23:47

This is a pretty mini review. The more modern 146's have been reviewed quite extensively and I have only seen a few celluloid mb reviews so here's a short one.

Total score 47/50. Fantastic pen that I highly recommend

fpn_1401555730__post-79518-0-17427500-13

Edited by dcpritch, 31 May 2014 - 17:08.
edited to straighten the photo for easier viewing

Sponsored Content

#2 BMG

BMG

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 00:32

Thank you, Sblakers, for the review. I was seriously jonesing for one of these, then I espied the venerable 244-G and now I'm seriously jonesing for one of those! Ah those '50s MBs... :puddle:

Edited by BMG, 13 January 2013 - 00:32.

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

#3 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 985 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:22

It's funny. Once you catch the 50's or earlier bug it's very hard to go back to a modern. I have not tried a 244 yet. 234 1/2 has been calling my name however

#4 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 13:29

even the 60's-70's mb are very good. Great 146 from the 50's :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#5 Rick Propas

Rick Propas

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 13:40

I recently got a gray striped 146 from the recent Bonhams auction and I can't keep it out of my pocket or my hand. First time in 25+ years that I've owned or used one and I love them!!

#6 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2013 - 14:03

i got a modern 146 and yours is really nice
A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#7 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 985 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2013 - 19:36

I would LOVE a grey striped. That pen is on my grail list. I also enjoy the modern mb's especially the. poa and we's Montblanc makes beautiful pens

#8 dhaines

dhaines

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:17

MMM Chocolate

#9 Koyote

Koyote

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,320 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:02

It's kind of hard to read sideways...Or am I supposed to turn my computer on its side?

#10 Cognaticrotty

Cognaticrotty

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:04

How can you tell when it is from?
Signature left blank per new rules...

#11 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 985 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:15

The material the pen is made out of. The type of feed. The piston mechanism. If you look at the dating the 149 sticky you can use it as a rough guide to dating a 146 as well

#12 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 15:33

How can you tell when it is from?

They are also considerably shorter than the modern 146. In this picture the pen on the far right is a 50s 146 while the second from the right is a modern (well 70s) 146.

Posted Image

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#13 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 985 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 16:44

Nice picture. I don't have a modern 146 so it's nice to see a side by side comparison. Thank you

#14 pavoni

pavoni

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2013 - 00:42

Thank you for sharing your view on the excellent 1950s MB 146. Nice to see it reviewed for a change. :clap1:

Pavoni.

#15 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,809 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:07

The material the pen is made out of. The type of feed. The piston mechanism. If you look at the dating the 149 sticky you can use it as a rough guide to dating a 146 as well

Do you know where to find more specific information so that when one is looking at photos (or in person) of a 146 you stand a chance of guessing the rough date. To me, it's hard to tell whether its resin or celluloid, but I can sure see a nib with 14K or 14C (but don't know what year that changed).
--
Glenn (love those pen posses)

#16 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2013 - 16:17

Do you know where to find more specific information so that when one is looking at photos (or in person) of a 146 you stand a chance of guessing the rough date. To me, it's hard to tell whether its resin or celluloid, but I can sure see a nib with 14K or 14C (but don't know what year that changed).

With the 146 (as well as 144 and 142) you need to remember that there is about a decade gap when Montblanc didn't make those models.

A 142 or 144 that is piston filled will be from the first generation and made from celluloid. They will also have a concave section.

A 146 that measures about 135mm closed will be a first generation and also have a concave section.

Those pens would have been made between 1949 and the very late 1950s.

Then the 14x series was discontinued with the exception of the 149 that continued in production.

In the early to mid 70s the 146 and 144 returned to the lineup. The 146 was still a piston filler but the bodies were resin and it had grown to a length of about 143mm when closed. All the sections were now flat. The 144 was now a cartridge/converter.

IIRC the change to the "K" designation instead of "C" happened around the mid 1980s.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#17 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2013 - 20:43

new or old they're all very nice ;)

but i think i don't understand in this review and in some other is how to read it because the sheet is placed horizontaly and so i can't read...there is a way to turn it?
A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#18 LYTH

LYTH

L2K LOVER

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2013 - 21:26

I have one of them, a 146 B. It's a very great pen, really !
LYTH
Posted Image

#19 schaatslijster

schaatslijster

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:29

The MB celluloids146 G OB & 144 OB are definitely my favorite pens. These nibs perfectly match my handwriting. For the former I use Akkerman iron gall ink, for the latter Akkerman China Town Red.

Thus far no issues with the iron gall ink.

#20 schaatslijster

schaatslijster

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:50

I don't like the currently made Meisterstueck 146. These pens are really overprized and overrated. Compared to the celluloids the quality is inferior. They write smoothly but give no feedback. The nibs are stiff as a nail. The piston mechanism is non telescopic and made of plastic.

The ideal pen would be a 50s 146 fitted with a three tined music nib.

Sponsored Content

|