Review: Pilot Cavalier

terminal

Pilot Cavalier Medium

(better writer than other pens in this price range)

Let me start of by saying up front that I don't have a Prera to compare to this Cavalier -- nor do I have a Metropolitan. I'm also not sure where the Cavalier fits in to the Pilot line. The nib appears to be different from that of the Prera or Metropolitan. There are a few threads relating to the Cavalier, and so I know that milage may vary, but there's not a review posted yet, so I thought I'd try my hand.

Related posts:

There's also a review over at The Pen Addict. One thing about that review (as the author, Brian Gushikawa, states), this is a pen he repaired so it's not new, and it's been tweeked.

Now down with tackiness:

• Fit & Finish: 6/10 Outstanding for a pen of this price. I really can't fault the construction quality of this specimen. It's just very high quality manufacturing. Some slight critisisms are that the gap between the tassie and the barrel is a little bigger than all the other gaps, and the plastic is a slightly different color than the metal. The gold part of the grip section kind of has a different diameter than the lilac-colored plastic, and as you'll see in the macros, the gold isn't perfect. Finally, I don't really enjoy the mold-mark on the threads of the grip section, when the barrel is off... I mean, granted it's hidden, but you'd never expect to find something like that on a higher end pen.

• Style: 5/10 It's neat that the Cavalier comes in so many colors, but if I had to criticize the design, I'd say that I don't like the fact that the grip section is a noticeably different color than the rest of the pen. This is because the barrel and cap are metal and the grip section is plastic. I also personally find the gold appointments to be a bit cheap looking -- there's no mistaking them for real gold! Meantime, in an effort to make the pen look 'girly' (I guess), the clip is sort of... busy for my taste.

This is also a very small diameter pen. For my hands it's WAY too small. That's one thing to keep in mind with the Cavalier -- it's NOT for big hands (though it's long enough).

On the up side, I do like the fact the pen is metal -- it gives the Cavalier an especially solid feel without being heavy. As I said, the color choices are really nice.

One nice feature is the fact that the pen posts with a solid 'click' because the tassie is shaped the same way as the nib end of the grip section. It's very satisfying. I don't personally post pens, however, and the pen is plenty long for me without the cap. Meantime, I've read a lot of criticism that some people find the cap rattles and spins when posted.... this specimen doesn't. It's possible it will in the future though.

A general note about the style: I don't like the whole 'girl pen' notion very much. I think the efforts Pilot made (other than the colors) to make this a 'girl pen' are mostly just distracting.

• C/C Design / Filling: 8/10 Normally, I'd say I prefer an integrated fill system of some kind -- piston or vacuum or some such, but in this price range, being able to get a pen that comes ready to use with ones' own ink is pretty great. The con-20 is certainly easy to use. I don't love that you can't see how much ink you have left, but as I say, I can't knock this pen since it shipped ready to bottle feed.

• Nib: 6/10 I'm not actually sure what nib sizes are available... fine and medium are all I can find. But this is where the pen was just a giant surprise to me. Yes, it is a STEEL nib... that has been gold toned. But man is it smooth. Smoother than a Platinum Plaisir or Preppy, Lamy Safari, Kaweco Sport or Monteverde Artista. Yes!

Now, let me set out some caviots, because that's a big statement I just made. It has more feedback than the Safari, Kaweco or Artista, and not as much as the Plaisir or Preppy (read 'scratchy'). What impresses me is that it has more bounce and flex than any of the above. The Kaweco and Artista come the closest (for all I know those two are more or less the same nibs anyway). This cavalier is both smooth and light. It feeds well and hasn't skipped or hard-started on me at all. This is the best nib I've found in this price range (and by price range... I mean under twenty dollars -- more on that later).

As has been stated over and over on these forums: this is NOT what I would consider a "medium". I can't imagine what the 'fine' would be like... a sewing needle I guess. Once again, Japanese Medium is more or less a german fine.

It's hard for me to evaluate this nib... I mean, for the price, it's fantastic, but of course it doesn't really touch a lot of my other pens empirically. I'd say it's got a nib that you'd expect to find in a pen that's in the 50-70 dollar range.

• Price: 9/10 Ok, so I see that JetPens only stocks the fine version of this pen, and they sell it for fifty bucks (granted, with free shipping). I bought my pen new for less than twenty dollars from one of my top three eBay sellers, engeika. Shipping was not included, but with shipping, the pen was still under 30. For that price, this pen is really beyond reproach. It's a great deal. Best sub thirty dollar pen I've ever used.

For fifty dollars, I think it's still a good pen, but the problem is that you start to get in to the range of not having to use a con-20. A TWSBI Mini is $50 and it's a piston filler. Also, a Sailor Dynamic Young Profit can be had for that price range, which is a whole 'nother class of pen.

Anyway, in summary, for the purposes of this review, I'm considering the Cavalier in the sub-thirty dollar range.

GLAMAH SHOTS:

http://www.suramar.org/fpn/PilotCavalier04.jpg

Note in this one the plastic is a slightly different shade of lilac:

http://www.suramar.org/fpn/PilotCavalier05.jpg

http://www.suramar.org/fpn/PilotCavalier06.jpg

http://www.suramar.org/fpn/PilotCavalier07.jpg

Note the mold mark in the threads (booo!):

http://www.suramar.org/fpn/PilotCavalier08.jpg

Ye olden con-20:

http://www.suramar.org/fpn/PilotCavalier09.jpg

Comparison with other pens. Top to bottom:

Platinum Plaisir

Pilot Cavalier

Lamy Safari

Kaweco Sport

http://www.suramar.org/fpn/PilotCavalier01.jpg

http://www.suramar.org/fpn/PilotCavalier02.jpg

The Safari is a huge freekin' pen posted... I always forget.

http://www.suramar.org/fpn/PilotCavalier03.jpg

And, at risk of further writing criticism / flaming, here's a sample...

http://www.suramar.org/fpn/PilotCavalier10.jpg

That's about as wide as she'll go... maybe .8mm or so...

http://www.suramar.org/fpn/PilotCavalier11.jpg

http://www.suramar.org/fpn/PilotCavalier12.jpg

Conclusion: Best pen I've used sub-thirty dollars hands-down. The nib is quite amazing. It's also well put together and attractive. It's got feedback without being scratchy, and a little bounce and flex. It has never skipped or hard started. I plan to give these as fountain pen introductory gifts in the future.

One note is that I intentionally didn't compare this pen to any Noodler's flex pens. I am aware that the Ahab , and the Konrad are piston filled for under $20. I personally don't think they are comparable, even though I have given a lot of Ahabs as gifts in the past. My brief statement on this would be that the Cavalier is great for everyday use and has a very amicable nib with a bit of flex.

Another note is that, as I ponder the manufacturing quality, I'd have to say that the Lamy Safari is a bit better (it's also simpler in that it doesn't use the same combination of materials). I actually think TWSBI, Kaweco, Lamy and Sailor all manufacture pens that are tighter. The Cavalier is definitely more like the Plaisir in this respect.

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terminal

• Gloucesterman

• GabrielleDuVent

• notVirtuThe3rd

Nice Review indeed!

I own a Pilot Cavalier F nib pen. I think that the construction of this pen is as good as Lamy safari (if not better) however, the Lamy design is more appealing to me. To me, this pen design is a hybrid of slim pens (a la tombow pens) and traditional pilot design. The result is not that pretty.

For ~50 bucks, I would recommend Faber Castell Basic (a rather hefty but very reliable pen), rotring initial (it can be had at amazon sells for under $40 now!) , faber castell ambition (slightly more expensive) and probably Pilot Prera ( i do not have it but I have heard good things about it) and my personal favourite Pilot Lucina (not very common in US) are better pens. But nonetheless, I think this pen (cavalier) is a rather unique pen from Pilot because of the design, materials (mine are metal) and interesting nib features.

Thanks!

“silence is the language of god,

all else is poor translation.”

Rumi

This is a really fine review--thanks.

I have a Cavalier and I find it to be a smooth writer as well. I also tend more toward thinner pens than thicker ones; as you point out, this is definitely a thin pen (probably about the size and weight of some Elysee fps I have).

I'd be curious to see what you'll think of the Pilot Metropolitan.

What a great review. Thanks so much for posting it. It's a bit on the thin side for my likes but I'm thinking it would make a lovely gift pen for a beginning FP user.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

FYI, just checked on the ebay site for the Cavalier reviewed above.

Current price is $29.00 with $13.00 economy shipping. Total $42.00

The fancier one with a marbled "lacquer" finish is $43.50 w/ economy shipping $13.00 Total $56.50.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

The fancier one with a marbled "lacquer" finish is $43.50 w/ economy shipping $13.00 Total $56.50.

Here's my auction -- the one I won:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170940054771?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

And since I know eBay auctions only last a couple of months, here's a screen capture of the summary:

post-84219-0-89161500-1357953388.png

Wow, that does look like a great deal. Now if I saw that pricing (or even near it) I definitely would have bought. Especially with you very good review here on FPN.

Thanks.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I bought a few NOS "cheap" pens last year. One was a Pilot Knight, one a Waterman Forum, another one a Waterman Maestro, and two Parker Rialto. All these pens were very good, in the "affordable" price-range, but the Pilot was the most expensive and I couldn't really understand why.

I recently saw a Pilot Prera in a shop, and after inspecting it thoroughly, 50€ for it was far too much.

I am starting to think, with a Cavalier retaling at $40 (so around 40€ if it is available where I live), entry-level Pilot pens are overpriced, by at least 50%. This isn't saying they are bad pens (since last time I posted some comment about a brand, I got quite flamed, I prefer to add that disclaimer).

The Cavalier looks very comparable to a Waterman Maestro, you should have a look at it if you like that type of pens.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

• 5 months later...

Pilot Cavalier Medium

(better writer than other pens in this price range)

What a great review! A little bit slim for my own, but I really like my Cavalier.

• 2 weeks later...

For the price I paid, $14 I am thrilled with this pen. Mine doesn't have the issue with different colors as section that holds the nib is black and the pen color is a dark metallic blue. The pen is very light. Mine is a fine and like the other Pilot pens I own, I describe the fines as scalpels, as they are very fine and scratchy which I like. The Pilot mediums seem more like fine points compared to others.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

Nice review and thanks for posting it. The Cavalier was the first "higher" end pens I purchased. I had some Pilot Varisty pens prior to it. I've always liked it for the snap cap and the excellent nib. I have it tucked into my polo style shirt right now. It doesn't have the bulk of my other pens so it was my choice for today.

When you have pen and ink, every problem needs a piece of paper.

If I recall correctly, Cavalier is the sequel to Minuet, which was a ladies' pen. Hence the small diameter (and the variety of colours, I think).

I do want one, but I can't find one under $30. :(

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

Oh, well, that shouldn't be a problem! Take a look at the Cavaliers engeika has listed right now -- buy-it-now for $29.

Oh, well, that shouldn't be a problem! Take a look at the Cavaliers engeika has listed right now -- buy-it-now for $29.

The shipping jacks up the price to over $30. :(

Tes rires retroussés comme à son bord la rose,

Effacent mon dépit de ta métamorphose;

Tu t'éveilles, alors le rêve est oublié.

-Jean Cocteau, from Plaint-Chant, 1923

The shipping jacks up the price to over $30. :(

Try Stationeryart.com

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

I really liked the look of the special editions;

http://wancher.ocnk.biz/data/wancher/product/20120717_551730.jpg

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts