New Line Of Pens!

Nordic Pen Imports

I'd love to help. I use both steel and gold (14k) nibs. I like XF, F, and italics; right now I'm using a vintage Webster XF gold flex nib, an Edison Pearl (0.6 mm cursive italic steel), a Waterman 52V with a wet noodle F-BBB nib, a Parker Vacumatic with a semiflex F nib, an Osmia 34 with a flexy gold oblique medium italic nib, a Sailor HighAce Neo with a rigid Japanese steel F nib, and a Nemosine Singularity with a rigid XF steel nib. I use pens from $15 to $400. I use my fountain pens for work; I'm a science fiction writer but I like writing longhand. :)

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harlequin

• Nordic Pen Imports

• Cyber6

• Cognaticrotty

I'd be happy to help test the new line. I have experience mostly with mid-market pens, both vintage and modern.

Deodorant can't fix ugly.

I like semi-flex nibs, and you can not afford to have Bock order one roll of the old alloy steel from a steel factory in one roll is a mini-order. Bock can make semi-flex nibs I have a couple, gold and steel if I remember correctly.

Good luck....you will need some B nibs for those who like it wide and some EF nibs for them who like it thin.

The complete spectrum EF, F, M, B and then you need to find out what many folks think are the numbers of width.

And it would be very expensive to have some one make it exactly that width and not a silly millimeter wider.

Suggest you buy your nibs from Japan, so the narrow folks get a nib as narrow as they want. M,B and BB from Bock.

I've little interest in a C/C pen.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I want nothing to do with your pens. I would hate to be chosen to use a pen without first paying a fee. The thought of you or ANYONE giving me a pen to play with puts me into a rage.

(I sure hope reverse psychology works)

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

A poll or something similar would have been more practical in gathering responses related to preferred nib size and such. It`s not hard to imagine that most users will prefer a pen in the 15-70 dollar range, fine or medium nib.

Experienced users will be tempted to buy the pen if it is a piston-filler and there is the possibility of getting a nib with some flex capabilities and/or rarer sizes, like extra fine. I personally like fine, rigid nibs with a large sweet spot.

Material-wise, i would say that most people would rather have a plastic(better call it "resin") pen. I prefer metal pens, or plastic combined with metal. Would be nice to see screw-on caps as a variation to the click-on version.

The color range is also important, the colors should be lively; would be nice to see rarer colors(green, rose,pink, orange etc) or patterns(like vintage pens have). It would be practical to have demonstrators as well- many people like them.

Regarding the size, pens measuring about 14 cm closed and about 1.3 cm in diameter would be spot-on. The weight- 20-35 gr.

I have owned and tried enough pens throughout the spectrum to make me think that i would be a good "pen-tester", but i doubt i would actually have the chance to do it, since there will always be people more qualified(and eager) than myself :)

Edited by rochester21

Another happy to help test. I use anything from a fine to a double broad depending what I'm doing. I do tend to favour gold nibs, but i usually buy to a price which is about the £100 mark, this has been edging towards the £150 but I am happier when its not. Due to this I have plenty of steel nibs as well. As much as I like gold, its more down to how the nib feels.

Hi,

I will be happy to help! I usually prefer western fine and medium nibs. While i prefer 14k i use steel just as often as daily writers, most often straight nibs/uncut. While I do own Nakaya, Delta, Tibaldi and some other high end pens, my daily writers includes:

- pilot VP in medium

- TWSBI 540 and Micarta (M)

- Stipula model T (titanium)

- Platinum 3776 (fine)

LBj

Favorite of the day: Nakaya Naka-ai Heki tame.

I would be happy to help if I can. I have a range of fountain pens ranging from cheap Chinese pens which are remarkably good considering their price, to a 58 year-old Parker Duofold (given to me as an 18th birthday present in 1955 and still in good working order) to modern Caran d'Ache (Leman and Ecridor), Parker Sonnet, Sailor 1911, Lamy Al-Star, etc. I tend to prefer traditionally styled pens in e.g. Black/Silver or Gold or marbled colours and prefer a fairly hard fine/medium nib. My normal use involves diary entries, reports and notes on reasonable/good quality papers, and crosswords on a variety of papers including newsprint/paperback books. The pen which best meets all these requirements is my Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron whose nib is quite smooth but has excellent feedback and is very comfortable to hold; however, the others mentioned also perform well.

John

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

I'd be happy to test, and suggest steel nibs in order to keep the price affordable. And hey, steel is good stuff!

Size: about like a Pelikan M600, though not quite that light. Around 22 grams would be great.

Name? I'm not too good with the creative stuff!

I would be delighted to test a pen.

- Steel I think is the best choice. A good steel nib can hold its own against a gold, and with the prices of gold lately... steel is a great option to get your pen in the hands of more people.

- Size - thicker than a safari but thinner than an ahab. the pelikan m600 is a great size, very popular because of its sizing too

- around $100 is a great price-point. A little less would be good, but many FPers will shell out up to about $140-150 without too much trouble.

- i tend to prefer a M or B nib, or even a 1.1 or so stub

VINTAGE PENS FOR SALE! Various brands all restored and ready to go! Check out the pics and let me know if you have any questions.

See my signature for my experience with pens.

I'd love to provide feedback as a grad student who uses a fountain pen to take notes instead of a laptop. This means that nib smoothness, ergonomics, weight/balance, ink capacity, ease of filling, feed design, and flow are all things that I can evaluate as part of my everyday activities with many pages of writing.

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

I'd love to test your pens! I use them Daily, and have for years, so I think I have the experience. :thumbup:

Nibs: Steel is probably more cost effective, as gold will up the price per unit a lot, though you could look into gold plated steel. The vast majority will be happy with steel, as there is no real step up in quality. For nib size, I usually write with a medium. However, you'll need a full range, F, M, B if not including EF and BB. If you can make your nibs semi flex for a reasonable price they will be very very popular. I feel a gap in the market here - the only other option is the Noodler's Konrad, which isn't the best quality writing instrument! You could do well offering stub nibs at 1.1mm, 1.5mm and 1.8mm like TWSBI do too.

To Sum Up: Steel, Full Range, Semi Flex would be awesome, as would Stub.

Size: I prefer smaller pens, the 'vintage standard'. For example the modern Pelikan M200 is a good one (122mm uncapped, 149mm posted). It's good to have a smaller pen that can grow a good few centimeters when posted - pen should be postable. Perhaps slightly larger, as that's a more average size, but for me, smaller pens are good.

Price Range: Highly dependent, though I expect I'd pay up to £200 ($320) for a good quality pen. If it was upwards of £150, I'd be looking at a gold nib, upwards of £50 I'd be looking at a piston filler. Don't waste money using expensive materials for the body of the pen. Cellulose plastic/ebonite is perfectly adequate. You'll find that folks here are highly flexible.

Fill System: Piston fill is probably the most popular, and should be looked into. People want ink capacity, and piston fillers work this well. You should definitely go piston if you're pricing above £50, in my opinion.

I hope that helps, and let me stress - I'd really love to be a test subject! :cloud9:

Please check out my blog, datbookreviews, for all Fiction and Fantasy book reviews!

Now with Increasing Fountain Pen Related Posts!

Pelikan M200, Hero 608, Parker IM, Serwex 162, Manuscript Calligraphy Pen, Lamy Vista, Guanleming 956, Mabie Todd 200/60, Noodler's Konrad. Grail Pen: Yard-O-Led Viceroy Victorian.

I'd love to help, but it looks like you have enough applicants.

I would love to help name your pens for sure. I am full of great ideas for names.... :eureka: ..

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I'd be happy to test. I'm rubbish with naming things, but I come from the software industry, I know how to test! :P

Are you still in Beta or are you a fully released version?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Hi,

I'm also willing to test them and write a review for you. I repair pens and use all sorts of pens, so I can help you out. I use fine and broad nibs. I use both gold and steel nibs as well.

Using pens every day to write many pages as well as repairing many pens, I can provide you with both input from the viewpoint of a user and one who repairs pens.

I'm also willing to help you name the colors.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hello! I'd love to test your pens! I have written throughout my life with many types of writing instruments across many different fields so I have experience and I'd say a little expertise in evaluating and advising characteristics of an excellent writing instrument.

I'd also say that I'm very artistic in nature, and being nominated as the best writer in our school through who's who, it'd be an honor and a fun time for me to help name your colors as well!

For user information, I usually use steel nibs, due to the dominance of them at my price range (usually 30-100 dollars), but it is well-accepted that a nicely-made steel nib can perform equally well with gold nibs, though gold nibs may tend to have a bit more flex. I usually write with regular sized pens (hahaha regular sized :P I mean around 5 inches or so), and my price range as stated is usually 30-100 dollars so that it is easier to afford a wide variety of pens from different companies for a panoramic experience of the eclectic features in the fountain pen world.

It'd be amazing for me to be selected as one of the testers but indeed many people on this forum are very well qualified. Wishing for the best!

Edited by Emperor

1. Testing, do you want to help me test the pen? Write with it for a few days, let me know how it feels, if I need to change anything. As a thank you you get to keep the pen.

2. Naming, There will be 13 different colours in the line and I need help naming them. If the name you propose gets elected you will win a pen in that color.

More about this later.....

Now I need some info on what nibs you usually use? Steel nibs? Gold nibs? Size? Price range?

Though there are plenty of volunteers already, I would be happy to test the pen as well. I usually use, in order of preference, flexible nibs (vintage gold and Noodler's steel), extra-fine nibs (Japanese gold and steel), and stub/cursive italics (I have a couple custom ground, extra-fine italics, one gold and one steel, as well as other inexpensive steel options, vintage and modern). I do like all nibs, though, and occasionally will ink up a medium or whatever else I have around. Most of my pens are in the $1 - $150 range, though I've had and written with more expensive pens in the past. For size I'm also flexible, though I'd say an Esterbrook SJ is a bit too short for me (I like the LJ a lot) and a Pelikan M600 is probably as large as I'd want to go.

I'll also enjoy contributing to the name game.

I would love to help you test. I have pens that range from Ahabs to Mont Blanc. I usually write in a medium and I think steel might be the way to go, but I don't mind paying for gold nibs either. Would like to see a new large demonstrator as well. Maybe with a music nib :-)

I'd be happy to help out and test your pen. I usually use fine or extra-fine nib pens. I have an equal mix of gold and steel and have no preference for one over the other. My price range is usually $30-150. As far as size goes, I have a variety. My collection is in my signature to give you an idea of what sizes I like.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan