Noodler's Ottoman Rose

wimg

Hi folks,

As it is a public holiday over here, I thought I'd spend a little time doing the promised review of Noodler's Ottoman Rose.

Without further ado, here it follows :D.

Page 1:

nor1-3.jpg

Page 2:

nor2-3.jpg

Page 3:

nor3-3.jpg

Some additional information: I tried to adjust the scanner, so the paper shows up as slightly yellow, which it actually is. Just hoping it worked out...

Additional info #2: One thing I forgot to add, is a true piece of new information, namely, taste of ink :lol:. I accidentally stuck a pen in my mouth which had some Ottoman Rose on it, a dip pen in order to make it flow better. Thought it was all finished, the ink, but it clearly wasn't. I can tell you now it is a bitter taste, but not unpleasantly so, with an aftertaste that lingers on for a few minutes. The flavour is not anything I have a reference too, so this was quite a new experience :lol:.

Since I consider this as an ink having a wine colour, the tasting bit is rather appropriate IMO :lol:.

Hoping you enjoy it all,

warm regards, Wim

Edited by wimg
fixed links

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• smudgy

• Leslie J.

• papyrus

Ottoman Rose is one of my favourite colours. I stopped looking for the perfect burgundy when I found this one. As you say, it looks different coming out of different pens. To me, I describe it as a vintage rose colour. Much the same way I describe the Ottoman Azure as a vintage blue looking ink. Actually, the two complement each other perfectly. I wish there was an Ottoman Green maybe. :)

Never lie to your dog.

Hi Leslie,

"vintage rose" sounds good to me, but I hope you don't mind me calling it "young claret" anyway :D.

And I agree wholeheartedly with you on the fact that the two Ottoman colours complement each other so well. They actually do. The green I have found that goes well with it, is PR Spearmint. You should try it...

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

My husband collects wine. I ask merely "White or Red"? I would have no idea what a young claret looks like. Maybe it looks a lot like vintage rose? I hesitated to even use the word "vintage", but when using these 2 in particular, that's what it looks like to me: the writing looks aged. Very nice inks.

Never lie to your dog.

Wim,

Another excellent review! BTW, I now have a bottle of this and inked my first pen with it yesterday - a Uranus Red Crackle. WOW!!! If there is such a thing as the perfect red, this must be it! I sure am glad someone suggested I get a bottle of this stuff. Hmmm. . . . can't recall who it was at the moment . . . although something with insanity comes to mind.

Anyhow, with the Ottoman Rose also came Noodler's Red-Black and Ottoman Azure, but I haven't had time to try them yet :( . I know, why not? But we're in the middle of a nasty remod of both bathrooms which is killing tons of time - but I digress.

Again, thanks for the wonderful review :D !

southpaw

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Wim - a few questions, if you don't mind: you mentioned Ottoman Rose has a good dry time - how about Ottoman Azure? Is it pretty quick as well? Also, does Azure have the flow issue (which requires priming the pen) that the Rose has? Thanks -

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

I haven´t noticed this priming business with Ottoman Azure. OTOH, I tend to do this as a standard anyway. It is not priming in the sense you have to do it every time, it is just a once off thing, prior to properly using the pen, rather than the ink, anyway.

And the drying time of Ottoman Azure is pretty quick too. Maybe I should write a review à la Ottoman Rose with Azure as well... :D

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hi papyrus,

Thanks for the helpful review. How does Ottoman Rose compare to PR Arabian Rose?

Unfortunately, I can´t help answering your question, as I don´t have PR Arabian Rose.

I hope someone else can chime in here...

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hi Southpaw,

Wim,

Another excellent review!

Thanks!
BTW, I now have a bottle of this and inked my first pen with it yesterday - a Uranus Red Crackle.  WOW!!!  If there is such a thing as the perfect red, this must be it!
Well, you said it... it is a red that´ll go with everything...
I sure am glad someone suggested I get a bottle of this stuff.  Hmmm. . . . can't recall who it was at the moment . . . although something with insanity comes to mind.
:lol:
Anyhow, with the Ottoman Rose also came Noodler's Red-Black and Ottoman Azure, but I haven't had time to try them yet :( .  I know, why not?  But we're in the middle of a nasty remod of both bathrooms which is killing tons of time - but I digress.
Hmmm, funny that, very similar to some of my favourite inks :D. You do realize you have to check out rather quickly whether your OA is the blue rather than the green one, don´t you? :D
Again, thanks for the wonderful review  :D !

southpaw

It is only a pleasure!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hi Vanessa,

I haven´t noticed this priming business with Ottoman Azure. OTOH, I tend to do this as a standard anyway. It is not priming in the sense you have to do it every time, it is just a once off thing, prior to properly using the pen, rather than the ink, anyway.

And the drying time of Ottoman Azure is pretty quick too. Maybe I should write a review à la Ottoman Rose with Azure as well... 

Warm regards, Wim

Thanks, Wim. I don't have any blue ink, and I like scans I've seen of Azure (the blue one, not the green one - what is up with that?!). I've avoided Noodler's because I thought that they were a no-no for lefties, but it seems that some colors might be okay.

Maybe I should try the priming bit with my Recife. If I put it down for two days, it is already dried up and not working.

I'd love to see a review of Azure, if / when you can fit it in to your schedule! :)

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Just as an aside, I tried priming a new pen with Ottoman Rose. It is a very big piston filler, that holds about 3 or 4 cartridges or converter loads of ink.

I did rinse and flush it first, with the obligatory soapy solution, and after drying it filled it to the brim with Ottoman Rose, and have been writitng with it a lot, and is about half empty now.

At first it balked a bit, as in, it did start a little difficult at first, and it looked as if once the feed was empty it stopped writing, and I had to turn the piston a bit to "recharge" the feed. However, between the first and second piston turning exercise, it stopped having starting problems, and some time last week, I turned the piston down for the third and last time. It looks as if ink flow has stabilised, and is a bit wetter now than it was at the outset. I used it all day today without a single hiccup (well, really from last Friday already without problems), so I guess it is primed now.

I know had I done this with, e.g., Waterman's Blue Black, I wouldn't have had these problems, but I also wouldn't have been writing with Ottoman Rose yet :D.

So, in the end, it is either prime it, or be tenacious... :D (or stubborn :lol:)

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Just as an aside, I tried priming a new pen with Ottoman Rose. It is a very big piston filler, that holds about 3 or 4 cartridges or converter loads of ink.

Thanks for letting us know about this experiment! I just received both Waterman Blue-black and Ottoman Azure in the mail today from Pendemonium, so this is timely information. I don't know that I'm in that big of a hurry to use the Azure, so I may just go through the Proper Priming Protocol. :) I want to eventually use the Azure in my new Binderized Pelikan...

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

I like that

the Proper Priming Protocol
:D, otherwise know as PPP or P3 :lol:.

Actually, with Ottoman Azure you can probably get away with a single converter load of WM BB when priming.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Hi Vanessa,

I like that

the Proper Priming Protocol

, otherwise know as PPP or P3 .

Actually, with Ottoman Azure you can probably get away with a single converter load of WM BB when priming.

Wim,

Great, I'll remember that about the Azure. I just ordered the more high-maintenance Ottoman Rose, too... which will definitely require 3P :lol: - I don't think I'd be patient enough to work with trying to get it to write the way you did in your experiment.

Why don't you review some UGLY inks now so I don't have to want them??!

Vanessa