How To Turn Bouquet D'antan Into A More Saturated Old Rose

maryannemoll

I found my old bottle of J. Herbin Bouquet d'Antan which I never really liked because it was too light. But I tried using it several times on an assortment of nibs and papers, but the ink is really too choosy, so I put it aside. (Why I bought a second bottle years after, I do not remember, which is why I have given the new bottle away under the PiF thread.)

Now I still have that old bottle, almost half used up, and I thought maybe if I darken it I could turn it into an old rose. Sort of like Noodler's Mata Hari but with better, more pronounced shading, which the Mata Hari never had. I'd also like the ink to be more saturated, so that it will feather less, and will be less prone to fading.

Any thoughts? Any suggestions on what black to use? I don't have any black at the moment, save for Zhivago, which is actually a greenish-black, so I prefer not to use that.

Thanks!

Edited by maryannemoll

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maryannemoll

• milpreve

• Sandy1

• bleair

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Perhaps a bit of R&K Scabiosa? That should tighten-up the line quality, and give greater shading potential.

(Fingers crossed that it would be a safe & stable mix.)

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Thanks for the input! :happyberet:

How about a few drops of the J. Herbin Perle Noir (which has absolutely no shading, according to reviews)? I was thinking that since the shading of the Bouquet d'Antan is already quite pronounced, a few drops of the Per Noir could just darken the pink without affecting the shading.

I'm trying to avoid mixes that end up in nib creep and vomiting, so J. Herbin to J. Herbin could be the safest way to go.

Has anyone ever tried using Perle Noir on any other J. Herbin shade, and used just those two colors and nothing else? What was the effect?

Thanks.

• 10 months later...

I added 5 drops of R & K Fernambuk to a sample vial of Bouquet D'antan. 5 drops to 20 drops was too dark, 5 drops to the full ~50 drops is nice. Maybe a little dark for an old rose, but the ink seems stable. No creep issues on my Pilot Plumix.

• 2 weeks later...

http://flic.kr/p/i4Cr6F

Here's a photo of the writing. I think the actual ink is lighter than the photo shows.

I'm not sure if the link will work, I'm bad with Flickr.

Hmm, I think you haven't allowed public viewing of that photo yet.

Flickr opens, but I get this message "This photo is private."

This should work:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7391/11199123005_ee2eda9c68.jpg

The paper is actually white, so take the color with a grain of salt.

Edited by milpreve