The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Blue-Black Blend

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jhataway

jhataway

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2013 - 21:19

I mixed three parts of Noodler's bad Blue Heron with one part of Noodler's 54th Massachusetts to result in a waterproof dark blue ink. The blend exhibits nice shading, but with a darker blue than BBH.

JEH

Sponsored Content

#2 Frank_Federalist_Pens

Frank_Federalist_Pens

"Federalist Frank".....(Was "FrankieX" here)

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:19

I have BBH, and I usually use Parker Black to make my blue inks darker!
I'll have to give it a shot!

I have been mixing Sheaffer BB with Parker to make my ideal BB!
I do find that mixed inks are more water resistant!

Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

Federalist Pens and Paper  (Online Pen Store)

facelogo.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

#3 jhataway

jhataway

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:10

I mixed three parts of Noodler's bad Blue Heron with one part of Noodler's 54th Massachusetts to result in a waterproof dark blue ink. The blend exhibits nice shading, but with a darker blue than BBH.

JEH

Since my original post, I have also mixed BBH and 54th Mass. at ratios of 2:1 and 1:1 with very pleasing results. The two inks seem to be totally compatible, and completely waterproof. My personal favorite is the 2:1 blend.

#4 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 23:41

I've have good results mixing Noodler's. I mixed Noodler's 54th Massachusetts with Private Reserve Grey Flannel (which is extremely weak), and got a nice Black/Blue.

I've used Noodler's Upper Ganges Blue to lighten dark blues and add water resistance.

I just wish I had more inks to draw from.

#5 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:36

Could we see pix of the results?
Thanks.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#6 jhataway

jhataway

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 00:44

Ruth,

Sorry, but I don't have photos. Basically, the good point is that blending 54th Mass with Bad Blue Heron results in a compatible waterproof ink wherein the extent of blue can be varied. Ater playing with various ratios, I have finally settled on 1.5:1.0 54th:BBH. I have found that the extent of blue presence in the blend is not easily predicted by the ratios. I started these blends after buying a bottle of 54th Mass, and finding it hard to see any blue in the ink. I use Noodler's black as my black ink, and wanted a BLUE-black bulletproof also, but most blue-black inks are more black than blue, and most are not waterproof. Thus my blending efforts. I must say that I am very pleased with the blend. It definitely shows a blue and gives some nice shading. Totally Waterproof, as are the inks used in the blend. I'm not a big ink blender. This was done because I couldn't find a Noodler's ink that was both waterproof and BLUE-black.

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:50

Ruth,

Sorry, but I don't have photos. Basically, the good point is that blending 54th Mass with Bad Blue Heron results in a compatible waterproof ink wherein the extent of blue can be varied. Ater playing with various ratios, I have finally settled on 1.5:1.0 54th:BBH. I have found that the extent of blue presence in the blend is not easily predicted by the ratios. I started these blends after buying a bottle of 54th Mass, and finding it hard to see any blue in the ink. I use Noodler's black as my black ink, and wanted a BLUE-black bulletproof also, but most blue-black inks are more black than blue, and most are not waterproof. Thus my blending efforts. I must say that I am very pleased with the blend. It definitely shows a blue and gives some nice shading. Totally Waterproof, as are the inks used in the blend. I'm not a big ink blender. This was done because I couldn't find a Noodler's ink that was both waterproof and BLUE-black.

Not sure as to how water resistant/proof it is (I haven't actually tested it) but you might want to take a look at Noodler's Manhattan Blue. It's an exclusive at Art Brown in NYC, and is supposedly designed to mimic the old Carter's inks. It's a very nice color that is definitely more blue than black, and has tons of shading. I bought a bottle over Christmas when I was in NYC and like it a lot. At some point I will try and get around to doing a review of it. I may also try mixing it with a drop or two of Old Manhattan Blackest Black (a Fountain Pen Hospital exclusive, which is, IIRC, listed on the label as being eternal -- I also picked that ink up while I was in New York).
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 TSherbs

TSherbs

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:23

What about Noodler's BBH with Noodler's black? I have these and am on the same quest, but I have never mixed before and only have a sample of BBH.

#9 Ego Id Veto

Ego Id Veto

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2013 - 15:49

I just completely by accident created a nearly identical copy of Noodler's Air Corp Blue Black, if you guys have a look at my other thread. I added 0.55ml Private Reserve Velvet Black to 3ml Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine.
My Vintages:
Sheaffer Triumph, Saratoga, Targa Slim and Targa Standard; Waterman 3V and 52 1/2V; Mabie Todd Swan Self Filler x 2; Eagle Unbreakable in sterling silver; Eversharp Bantam; Parker Duofold Lucky Curve BCHR and Duofold in red hard rubber; Spors Co. glass nib pens x 4; Conklin 2NL and 20P.

#10 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2013 - 13:29

Disappointed with how Noodler's Heart of Darkness feathered, so I mixed a tiny amount with the remaining J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir (Sapphire Blue) I had in the cartridge of my Pilot Vanishing Point.

The result was a dark blue-black, similar to Noodler's Blue-black without the saturation and smearing problems. No feathering from the little bit of HoD and great water resistance.

Sponsored Content

|