Blood

CryptoDave

I would like any recommendations on an ink that is as close to a "blood" color as possible that is of excellent quality and will not stain the pen and be easy to clean.

When I say easy to clean, what I'm most concerned about is the ability to flush/clean the pen without it leaving any hard to remove residue.

So far I have found the following, not in any order of preference:

1. Diamine Oxblood (which seems to be sold out at most places)

2. Diamine Syrah (not sure how close to a blood color this is?)

3. Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock

4. Noodlers Red Black (which in some tests looks more brown than blood, and I'm not sure about how easy it will be to clean?)

Please suggest others and/or comment on the ones I have mentioned above.

Thanks,

Dave

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CryptoDave

• JeanManuel

• lapis

• josiah

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a bottle of Diamine oxblood, and its about as blood red as it gets I think. On paper, it dries to a dried blood type color, so if you're looking for a bright "fresh blood" kind of red, your other options may be better suited. It does seem to sell out at many places more than most other colors, but it gets restocked rather quickly. Its a fun an interesting color, I'm sure you'll get some other good opinions here as well.

I would like any recommendations on an ink that is as close to a "blood" color as possible that is of excellent quality and will not stain the pen and be easy to clean.

When I say easy to clean, what I'm most concerned about is the ability to flush/clean the pen without it leaving any hard to remove residue.

4. Noodlers Red Black (which in some tests looks more brown than blood, and I'm not sure about how easy it will be to clean?)

Thanks,

Dave

MB Winterglow is bloody enough looking that when I had some one my hand, more than one person asked if I was cut. :roflmho:

Hitchcock is deeper, though.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Thanks,

Dave

FYI..All violet and red inks stain... .

My preferred red..the discontinued Omas Amerigo Vespucci..which I'm

no longer giving away... .

Fred

I cut my teeth on Fats Domino ~ Lennie Briscoe ~

I'm a big fan of N. Red-Black. It looks just like dried blood to me. A bit more subdued than the D. Oxblood. Nice shading in my opinion - it seems a bit less saturated than the Oxblood, which I like. I've never had any problems with cleanup with it at all. It is a pretty slow dryer, in my experience. Great ink!

Edited by EKE

Learning from the past does not mean living in the past.

I have used Oxblood, with some pens, and had no real issues cleaning.

The ink was only in the pen for a week or so, so it was not in long term.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Noodlers Antietam for slightly dried blood, Diamine Matador for fresh looking 'wet' blood.

fpn_1357506178__photo_1.jpg

fpn_1357506211__photo_2.jpg

Edited by Draless

Diamine Oxblood. It is one of my favourite inks; I don't really fancy red inks much so that says a lot about how much I like Oxblood.

Besides that, there's Noodler's Black Swan In English Roses.

I've always thought Black Swan in English Roses looked rather blood-like. On my monitor, my scan looks a little less brown than on paper, but only a little. Smudged, it gets a dull, brownish red color, and written, it looks more reddish brown.

post-23070-0-91795500-1357516492.jpg

Edited by josiah

So, what you're saying is that you're looking for something other than actual blood... :roflmho:

Noodlers Antietam for slightly dried blood.

+1 on Noodler's Antietam. Most of the other "blood-like" reds out there have a blue cast or orange cast that veers away from actual blood. Antietam hits it squarely in the color department.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

All I can say is WOW! As usual you guys are fantastic, never let me down.

Thanks,

Dave

I think it's Oxblood for me. I'm looking for the "dried blood" color, not the wet red.

noodlers antitem

Thanks,

Dave

Today I inked up my Edison Beaumont with some Noodlers Red Black. I like the color, although I'm not sure I would call it a dried blood color, a little on the brown side. But it is a very well behaved ink, by that I mean it doesn't clog my pen or get sticky vs. the Massachusetts 54th ( I love the color) which is more "thicker/stickier" not as smooth (maybe due to fact that the 54th is a bullet proof ink?). I found the Red Black to feel more lubricating. Still love the color of both these inks.

Dave