Math And Fountain Pens

CalvaryMaid

I do all my math and physics with a fountain pen, always one with an italic nib, because nothing is easier on the eyes than seeing calculus in italic! I've gotten many compliments from people who glance at my notes because of this! :thumbup:

Oh, please do let us see some italic calculus. Please?

I will! Once classes start up again tomorrow! I'll post it here so keep your eyes open! :thumbup:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• moylek

• ModiHammarstedt

• bernardo

• Cubane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, please do let us see some italic calculus. Please?

I will! Once classes start up again tomorrow! I'll post it here so keep your eyes open! :thumbup:

I will do just that. Thanks.

---

Kenneth Moyle

Hamilton, Ontario

I am enjoying this fountain-pen math - math can be quite beautiful even on the upper-most surface.'

Though we are still waiting for out italic calculus from ModiHammarstedt!

---

Kenneth Moyle

Hamilton, Ontario

I've passed this thread on to my partner, who I just recently introduced to fountain pens and who even more recently decided to pick up a free Pre-Calc textbook on the internet and work through it.

As much as math is something I probably should get back into, I think my take on this is going to be to get back into Symbolic Logic and do that in fountain pen. :)

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. ~ Anne Lamott (This is where I tell my stories.)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I am enjoying this fountain-pen math - math can be quite beautiful even on the upper-most surface.'

Though we are still waiting for out italic calculus from ModiHammarstedt!

We've only had two lectures and the first one was covering the syllabus and we're just doing basic vectors so nothing too fancy! I'll see what work I can show for homework though!

All of your notes looks so lovely! (I also love seeing the theorems and proofs in a different language than English :) ). I took many of my notes in my math classes with a fountain pen and would write my final assignment in pen. At some point, though, my professors started wanting my assignments typeset in LaTeX, so I started doing that. But fountain pens for notetaking always!

Nothing much really since we haven't covered many things (complex ideas) so this is the best I've got! .......so far..... I'll probably still be be posting notes here once I take more! That's the problem with lectures only twice a week :headsmack:

http://i.imgur.com/wlAgL0E.jpg

Pilot Plumix 1.1 with Blue Pilot cartridges

Nothing much really since we haven't covered many things (complex ideas) so this is the best I've got! .......so far..... I'll probably still be be posting notes here once I take more! That's the problem with lectures only twice a week :headsmack:

That's some handsome looking math ...

---

Kenneth Moyle

Hamilton, Ontario

That's some handsome looking math ...

Thank you! It gets better and prettier once more complex things pop up!

I do all my math homework with FP's. I've never have (and still don't) like math, but using a FP keeps me somewhat interested. I don't think it's a justified use of my ink, but I don't really have anything else to write with :lol:

Does anyone else do math with a fountain pen? As was the case with penmanship, I hated math in school and didn't study it once I wasn't forced to in school. When I got into fountain pens last year, I read a post here that said that kids in some European countries (probably Germany and/or France, I don't remember which) used fountain pens for math. That inspired me to renew my math studies and to do it using fountain pens exclusively. When I make a mistake, I just cross it out. Sometimes the crossed out parts contain the seeds of the right answer. It's actually neater than using pencil, because when I use a pencil, I press really hard, and the marks don't erase well. I feel that my fountain pen hobby is helping me to explore other interests that I would not have considered before.

Interesting. Have to say "Me, too," I guess. I've always enjoyed math, but like most folks, took notes and did my exercises in PENCIL. So I could ERASE, of course! Like crossword puzzles. Only a show-off uses INK, doesn't (s)he? Besides, our teachers drummed this into us, too! They didn't want you turning in homework or exams with a big, inky MESS of corrections on it. But, you must learn the rules before you break them, right?

Like not starting a sentence with "but," "and," or "like?" :)

Lately, however (in the last year since I've 're-discovered' FPs), I have done some math writing with FP. "Erasing mistakes" is a non-issue. I pretty much know ahead of time if I'm writing something that might need correction or flat re-doing. If so, I use a pencil. Got maybe a dozen of those puppies, too! If I'm just trying to recall an equation or formula or work out an actual problem--then, of course, I'll be using a pencil or a fine rollerball or felt-tip. A Hi-Tec C comes to mind. In-class lecture notes? Pencil or rollerball, usually. Gotta write fast, not necessarily pretty. Can't worry about drying times, smearing or drying-out nibs. Tiny, marginal notes sometimes, too.

And, another thing: ever see any old film (or dramatizations) of people like EINSTEIN "doing" math? If they're not writing on a chalkboard, they're writing with...a big, fat FOUNTAIN PEN, usually! The exact OPPOSITE of what our teachers were telling us to do, right?

Maybe you're more thoughtful and careful about what you're writing just because you don't want to have to cross out and re-write anything when you're writing math stuff in ink.

Enforces a kind of mental discipline, don't you agree? And that's gotta be A Good Thing™.

Incidentally, this may also explain my finicky-ness regarding what constitutes a "Fine" or "Extra-Fine" nib, too. To me, "Fine" means I can write legible MATHEMATICAL EQUATIONS with it, plain and simple. Exponents, limits, superscripts, subscripts and all. If I can do that on regular lined (7 or 8mm spacing) paper, that's a sufficiently "Fine" nib.

I wanted to thank everybody for posting pictures of their math using a FP. I'm a newbie here and still in the process of buying my first FP. I was a little skeptical at first about using FP's for my math/engineering studies/work. But thanks to everybody here, I am super excited about getting my first pen and jumping back into Differential Equations!

Thank you to everybody here!!!

I am a graduate student a few months out from my phd in experimental nuclear physics. I have been doing all of my notes, research, and homework in fountain pen for a few years now. I prefer noodlers black in a lamy safari with a fine nib. I think I'm the only person in my program who uses fountain pens, I always say that if you spend all day writing it's not unreasonable to try and find a way to enjoy it. I used to write 10-20 pages a day, not so much anymore since most of my work has switched to programming and I'm finishing up my classes. Here's a page from my Electrodynamics notes. post-60149-0-71389500-1359937500.jpg

I tried to pick a nice looking page! My handwriting has been called neat, but I don't know if it's very inspiring...

Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony.

Here's a photo of some trigonometry using a fountain pen. The green part is Noodlers Cactus Eel Gruene (Pilot 74 Custom, soft medium nib) and the yellow is Noodlers Apache Sunset (Pelikan Tradition M205, medium nib).

post-85008-0-19375400-1360103471.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Now bridle your horse, cavalry maiden. Soon a furious battle will blaze. Brünnhilde must charge into battle, she must see the Volsung wins. Let Hunding decide where he belongs. I do not require him in Valhalla. So make ready and quickly ride into battle. - Wotan, Act II, Scene 1, Die Walkure

• 1 month later...

Used it all the time!

Here's some Process control analysis:

fpn_1362795242__math_2_0_2.jpg

And for chemistry too:

fpn_1362795344__math3_0_2.jpg

Inoxicrom school pen and cartidge ink on thin copy paper. Don't ask about the red, Prof marked with BIC :headsmack:

Regards!

Fancy a postcard? PM me or add yourself to my Postable!

www.postable.com/jctapiaperez

I do it all the time! :)

post-3132-0-55628700-1357498397.jpg

I recognise that... Lorentz transformations, Michelson + Morely etc...

Pretty soon after that you get to E(K) = m(0) C^2 !!

I do it all the time! :)

post-3132-0-55628700-1357498397.jpg

I recognise that... Lorentz transformations, Michelson + Morely etc...

Pretty soon after that you get to E(K) = m(0) C^2 !!

The equation that everyone knows, and no-one understands! It would have been more useful if F = ma had been the one to achieve celebrity status...