The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Cursive Lowercase "r"

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

Poll: Lowercase cursive "r" (633 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you write your cursive lowercase "r"? (please see picture)

1. 1. Upright stroke followed by a small "hook". (189 votes [27.92%])

Percentage of vote: 27.92%

2. 2. Slanted upstroke, then a gentle slide downwards, followed by a steep curve downwards. (423 votes [62.48%])

Percentage of vote: 62.48%

3. 3. I always capitalize the "R" (even within lowercase text). (8 votes [1.18%])

Percentage of vote: 1.18%

4. 4. Some other way (feel free to specify below). (53 votes [7.83%])

Percentage of vote: 7.83%

5. 5. I always skip the lowercase letter "r" when I write anything! (4 votes [0.59%])

Percentage of vote: 0.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 ParramattaPaul

ParramattaPaul

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:51

Here are both. The one on the left is not comfortable for me. I prefer to write, and to read, the one on the right, which is a mixture of 3 and 5. 

fpn_1466101864__image.jpeg

My cursive 'r' is similar to the one in the example on the left.

Sponsored Content

#162 ElinMS

ElinMS

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2018 - 22:24

When in school I was taught that consistency is essential in handwriting, but as I have gotten older, I have found myself drifting into changing letter forms, often within a single sentence. I not only do this with r, but also with s, b, d, e, k, l, p, q, t, v, and w. I don't really give it much thought in the moment, but sometimes one or the other letterform just feels right. It doesn't seem to impact the legibility. It may be because my writing is a sort of hybrid of palmer, italic, and spencerian influences, learned at different times in my life.

Anyway, this is a vote for inconsistency.

I was taught the Palmer method in school, but I do pretty much the same as you.  It depends on what I'm writing, the script style I'm using, or sometimes my own hybridization.  Hey, as long as I can read it, it's all good :)

Usually I aim for consistency within the same document if nothing else.

#163 europen

europen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2018 - 19:29

Pleasing to see a six-year-old thread being kept alive. At least we are writing by hand. I seem to use several 'r-types' in one sitting, probably due to hand position at any given moment.

Note the 'thread-like' r as often taught in Palmer cursive, in 'grip' and 'vectors'. 

Pangrams courtesy of Wits 'n Wisecracks: 251 Pangrams for Everyday Use by Millard Port, Amazon / Kindle Books. Used by permission.

Attached Images

• Good BWS Milord.JPG

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

#164 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 19:49

This letter was one of the main reasons I hated learning cursive. I could never make the letter look right and it didn't flow well when I wrote-same with the lower case s.

#165 MrsHobie

MrsHobie

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2019 - 20:47

I answered 4 ... Most of my r look like the number 2, but with a little loop ...

just like this :

cahier-criture-19-638.jpg?cb=1412099982

One pen roll, two pen rolls, three pen rolls ... So many pen rolls ! Do you want one ?
my tiny shop is open  and you can have a closer look on my website to see my cotton (and sometimes silk) OOAK penrolls.

#166 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2019 - 17:10

I don't even have "the little loop" anymore, just a small peak if that, and the horizontal sometimes sags in the middle.

#167 LiquidInk

LiquidInk

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 13:51

I use 2nd if there is a following letter. 1st if it is last letter since I don't have to connect anything

#168 Mr5x5

Mr5x5

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2019 - 15:20

I don't even have "the little loop" anymore, just a small peak if that, and the horizontal sometimes sags in the middle.

Mostly this though it varies, even within a sentence,depending on what I'm writing and for who.  I tend to be slower and more legible for others than myself.

#169 LazyPen

LazyPen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:31

With v and z for me it's the more difficult letter to write...

:(

Sponsored Content

|