Cursive Lowercase "r"

Mr Ink

Lowercase cursive "r"  

650 members have voted

1. 1. How do you write your cursive lowercase "r"? (please see picture)

• 1. Upright stroke followed by a small "hook".
    • 2. Slanted upstroke, then a gentle slide downwards, followed by a steep curve downwards.
    • 3. I always capitalize the "R" (even within lowercase text).
    • 4. Some other way (feel free to specify below).
    • 5. I always skip the lowercase letter "r" when I write anything!

I'm more amused that I'm actually interested in this discussion.

If you told me a couple of years ago that a discussion on how to write the lower case "r" could last for more than 2 minutes, and that I would follow it to the end, I'd probably have replied with something that included the phrase, "I'd have to be really bored!" :D I suppose fountain pens really can open up new worlds (or change the threshold for boredom! :-).

For what it's worth, I voted #2.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• Mr Ink

• AllenG

• Vlad Soare

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://s3.postimage.org/u8kwbrq1f/image.jpg

As you can see, I use #2. I only use #2. The second line shows why I stopped using #1 (it often looks like v's) and I truly hate when letters are not attached together and using #1 makes keeping your r's linked to the next letter a real pain in the a.

Hi All, For what it's worth, I notice how my 'r' can become much like a 'v', this photo is more printing than cursive but I do notice it in my own, and other people's writing too.

This happens to me too and therefore I have taught myself to only use #2 r's.

It's probably just me but I love that Gawain3 used 'wire' as an example of a cursive 'r' when the letter form looks exactly like how I form a cursive 'n' thus the word reads 'wine'.

Gary

Nah, not even close. :hmm1:

Wow, so true! I've actually never seen someone write their r's like that. They do look a lot like n's...

Kind regrds,

Dimitry

"La charité du sage le pousse parfois à paraitre ému, fâché ou réjoui afin de ne pas blesser son entourage
par la froideur et la lucidité de sa vraie nature."

http://i45.tinypic.com/ekoyc.jpg

I guess it must be a question of my age (61), but I'm surprised that so many FPNers have never seen the lower case r I was instructed to use so many years ago. Attached is a copy of the alphabet I was taught. I don't remember using all the loops. Maybe a more economical method of school writing? Some of the capitals were a bit different, although that seems the first place we go when we are trying to personalize our writing.

I guess it must be a question of my age (61), but I'm surprised that so many FPNers have never seen the lower case r I was instructed to use so many years ago. Attached is a copy of the alphabet I was taught. I don't remember using all the loops. Maybe a more economical method of school writing? Some of the capitals were a bit different, although that seems the first place we go when we are trying to personalize our writing.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MjQyWDgwMA==/$(KGrHqJ,!hoFETEUPmQsBRGiGl8OSQ~~48_20.JPG

I'll admit, I don't recall seeing a lower case r like that. Below is a copy of the characters I use when writing:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTY1WDc1MA==/$(KGrHqJ,!pIFDSDeQVsmBRGh3LlYgw~~48_20.JPG

I write every day at work and when I write a word in which an "o" directly precedes an "r" (e.g. "ornate"), it's barely legible. I much prefer the one you posted.

Cheers,

Aiden

the fantasy of inviolacy

I was reading somewhere on the Internet that a more recent fashion, in many parts of the USA as well as France and a few other European countries, is to capitalize the letter (i.e. as R) throughout the text. I was rather surprised by this and was wondering why such a change would have developed.

InteResting link from 2008... I still haven't found the reason why; however, after trying it myself, substituting a small "R" in cursive seems easy and legible.

the fantasy of inviolacy

I was reading somewhere on the Internet that a more recent fashion, in many parts of the USA as well as France and a few other European countries, is to capitalize the letter (i.e. as R) throughout the text. I was rather surprised by this and was wondering why such a change would have developed.

InteResting link from 2008... I still haven't found the reason why; however, after trying it myself, substituting a small "R" in cursive seems easy and legible.

VeRy inteResting link....thank you.

I have always had trouble reading the Palmer "r." I always have to slow down and sort it out in context from the Palmer "v."

I greatly prefer the Zaner-Blosser "r" and "v." Perhaps, it was one of the reasons for the development of the Z-B script, or not.

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably just me but I love that Gawain3 used 'wire' as an example of a cursive 'r' when the letter form looks exactly like how I form a cursive 'n' thus the word reads 'wine'.

Gary

it's not just you...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/raigne/2013-01-28020041sized_zps7e63a2bc.jpg

The only thing consistent about my r's is that they're lower case and have ligatures on both sides.

funny, i got the same issues with my lower case "r". :embarrassed_smile:

When I went to Med School, after a five year hiatus from school, and almost all writing, I "invented" a small "R" incorporated into my cursive, reasoning that it was differentiated from "n" (and "u, i, m, e" which tend to all look the same when I get going. Now, I even have a problem with "el" and "e"!

and the "t's" I forget to cross, Fagetabodit!

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

• 2 weeks later...

As a matter of curiosity, how do you write your cursive lowercase (minuscule) letter "r"?

Multiple answers are possible because I am aware that some individuals use more than one form of the letter "r", depending on its position in a given word.

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q668/torpiano/LowercaseR_zpsdbe32581.jpg

Sometimes the first, and sometimes the second way. Depends on the joining letters.

Student of history, art, and life, writing the Encyclopedia of Retro-Modern Savoir-Faire

http://proustscookies.blogspot.com/

I started life with a rather crummy version of Kens #3 above, then somehow caught the use of an upcase but diminutive R inside words from a coworker (we read each others notes extensively in the job) from Ireland and it has proven remarkably difficult to revert to a more elegant approach.

I started life with a rather crummy version of Kens #3 above, then somehow caught the use of an upcase but diminutive R inside words from a coworker (we read each others notes extensively in the job) from Ireland and it has proven remarkably difficult to revert to a more elegant approach.

I don't know, Steb, sounds to me like that could be quite elegant. Give us a sample!!

Student of history, art, and life, writing the Encyclopedia of Retro-Modern Savoir-Faire

http://proustscookies.blogspot.com/

When in school I was taught that consistency is essential in handwriting, but as I have gotten older, I have found myself drifting into changing letter forms, often within a single sentence. I not only do this with r, but also with s, b, d, e, k, l, p, q, t, v, and w. I don't really give it much thought in the moment, but sometimes one or the other letterform just feels right. It doesn't seem to impact the legibility. It may be because my writing is a sort of hybrid of palmer, italic, and spencerian influences, learned at different times in my life.

Anyway, this is a vote for inconsistency.

+1 on that!

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

R001.jpg

"Expect a most agreeable letter, for not being overburdened with subject (having nothing at all to say), I shall have no check to my genius from beginning to end." --Jane Austen

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

My blog: Does This Pen Make Me Look Fat? Twitter: @penfatness Instagram: sheilamcl Pinterest: SheilaM

I joined up with FPN this morning to talk about ink and here I am (several hours later) talking about lower case 'r'... this is addictive ;)

Anyhow... I vote for '2'. When I was taught to write, I used version '1', but after some years found that my writing did not flow nicely and I came to dread words with 'r' in. There is a bit of OCD in my family and I had it in my head that I must not lift off the paper mid-word or it was a 'fail' and trying to do a type '1' 'r' was a nightmare. Then, one day, quite out of the blue, I tried the type '2' and it immediately took over. In fact, I cannot remember writing a type '1' 'r' even accidentally since, it was just so much easier to flow with type '2'.

Kind regards

Please do not adjust your mind, there is a temporary fault in reality

I was taught no.2 type and have used it ever since. I first started with cursive or "real writing" at school in about 1946. This seems to be just after the style taught was changed from type 3 or 5 which I have always considered, rightly or wrongly, to be an old fashioned style, to type 2 or similar. My mother and grandmother both wrote this older style and were quite surprised at the way I was taught to write this letter.

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F