My Review Of The Missing Ink In The Age Newspaper

DAYoung

http://images.theage.com.au/2013/01/04/3930132/Lifeandstyle-book-2-300x0.jpg

G'day FPN folks,

In today's Age newspaper, I've a review of Philip Hensher's The Missing Ink, a celebration of the handwritten word.

You can read it here.

Cheers,

DAYoung

Damon Young

philosopher & author

OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

http://content.damonyoung.com.au/aor.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DAYoung

• richardandtracy

• RMN

• jacksterp

Thank you.

I was wondering about this book. Often such books are very dry to read.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

This book is on my list to purchase, thanks for the reassurance that will be a wise decision. It will sit on a shelf next to "Script and Scribble."

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

This book is on my list to purchase, thanks for the reassurance that will be a wise decision. It will sit on a shelf next to "Script and Scribble."

Yeah, I reckon it's wise. His enthusiasm for the written word really comes across.

Damon Young

philosopher & author

That book is more expensive than a bottle of Iroshizuku ink. Yikes.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

That's the retail price for the book in Australia (and in AUD, The Age is an Australian newspaper).

The book is much cheaper from Amazon for those in the US, about the price of a bottle of Noodlers with shipping ;)

That's the retail price for the book in Australia (and in AUD, The Age is an Australian newspaper).

The book is much cheaper from Amazon for those in the US, about the price of a bottle of Noodlers with shipping ;)

Yes, that's right. (I didn't see your reply earlier.) I'd say it's cheaper online and in bookshops. US book prices are generally lower than ours.

Damon Young

philosopher & author

Got the book for Christmas and have only got through to chapter 4 so far. He is amusing and pleasantly down to earth while also thought provoking. A good read, even if it should only be taken in small doses if you're tired.

I also suspect someone needs to tell him that FPN exists.

Regards,

Richard.

:) makes me want to read it :)

speaking of which I just got two bottles of iroshizuku, everything is expensive in australia :(

Good to see there is still some quality work in The Age, not convinced the staff cutbacks have not had an effect on the quality of the paper. Oh well, I just got a subscription, lets see ... :P

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

Many thanks for the review. It made me decide not to buy the book (my highest praise to a reviewer).

Good to see there is still some quality work in The Age, not convinced the staff cutbacks have not had an effect on the quality of the paper. Oh well, I just got a subscription, lets see ... :P

It's tough era for newspapers. They're cutting down on non-staff writers--e.g. yours truly--while asking the staff to write more, with fewer resources.

Damon Young

philosopher & author

I also suspect someone needs to tell him that FPN exists.

Perhaps he knows about it, and rightly stays away. (Because it's a cash and hour sucking demon from the planet Distraction.)

Ah, but don't you love it?

Those distractions provide the most joy.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~