Jump to content

The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****


Most Appropriate Converter For Eversharp 10000 Word?

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PDW


    Collectors Item

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Location:UK

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:32

Just received my 'new' Eversharp 10000 word pen. It's mint, and beautiful in a 1950s 'cars with big fins' way.

I'd like to fit a converter into it, but I'd like it to be the most contemporary type for the pen to give me a feeling of historical accuracy. Yes, I know it'll be hidden in the pen, but anyone reading this will understand ... I hope ...

I have found that there are two types of Eversharp/Parker converter, a twist and a squeeze, both with red ends. Which one is the closest in time to my pen, or were both converters around at the same time so I can choose?

Edit: typo

Edited by PDW, 04 January 2013 - 15:42.

Sponsored Content

#2 GallBladder



  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Location:Hamilton, Ontario
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 13:31

As luck would have it I recently bought a few Eversharp Big E models and had a 10000 word pen thrown in. For historical accuracy you want the Parker style which will say Eversharp on it. You may be able to find vintage Parker converters of the similar style, which do fit and were used as replacements in the various Eversharp models that took the same size converter.
Raven's March shows what the various Parker(Eversharp) converters look like in this picture. Style 1 through Style 3 are what you are looking for.

Posted Image

I have a black plastic and metal version of Style 2 with a red button on the end - signifying Eversharp, so that is another to look out for.

Edited by GallBladder, 04 January 2013 - 14:03.

Writing with pen and ink, is an endeavour both stimulating and cathartic.

#3 PDW


    Collectors Item

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Location:UK

Posted 04 January 2013 - 14:47

Thanks for the photo - does anyone know which of Style 1 or the black/red Style 2 is the closer match?

Edited by PDW, 04 January 2013 - 14:47.

#4 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

    Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,999 posts
  • Location:The Flat Bit, Canada
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2013 - 15:48

Either one will suit, as they're pretty much contemporary. The item labelled #1 above came with a 10,000 Word, so I think I can comfortably say it's appropriate ;) , but I don't know exactly what motivated Parker to choose between the twist and the squeeze types. I would think that the twist, with more bits involved, is the more expensive to make and thus less likely to appear in the demoted Eversharps, but I don't KNOW that.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman, 04 January 2013 - 15:52.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.




Sponsored Content