The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Custom Edison Bulb Filler Review

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mafia Geek

Mafia Geek

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 21:14

So a few months back I contacted Brian at Edison pens to get a custom pen made. I liked the designs he has but none were quite what I was looking for. So I sent him a few drawings of what i had in mind for the pen and he and after a few back and forth e-mails we were getting to the point of finalizing things. We arranged a video chat and Brian suggested modifying an existing design to match what I had in mind rather than starting from scratch, thereby saving me a fair amount of money, which was nice. I told him what I was hoping for and he picked a good pen to start with to have custom modifications added to match my drawings. After a couple video conversations and a couple changes in design we came to an agreement on the material, nib size and colour, and design. A few days later and I had some pictures of the new pen and it matched very closely what I had in my head, Brian did an excellent job with the design. After waiting what always seems to be forever but was actually only about a business week, the pen arrived and it was how I'd imagined from the discussions and pictures. After a quick rinse with some water and letting it dry, I inked it up and started to write and boy did it write well. I've put off posting a review as I wanted to have used the pen for a while to let the honeymoon eyes wear off. I'm still very happy with the pen and the process. I really like the weight, balance, simplicity, and ease of filling of the pen and it is my daily use pen, replacing my Lamy 2000.

So without any further ado, here's my handwritten review of the pen and a couple pictures of the pen taken by Brian at Edison pens.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 majorworks

majorworks

Paperback Writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 21:35

Congratulations! Very nice, classic looking pen. Is the material ebonite?
Happiness is an Indian ED!

#3 Pentulant

Pentulant

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 22:12

Beautiful pen. Glad you're loving it.
pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>
President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

#4 Mafia Geek

Mafia Geek

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 22:23

It's an acrylic pen actually, that might be one of the only things I would change about the pen if I were doing it again.

#5 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 23:00

At first glance I thought it was a Morgan. The big difference appears to be the lack of a step down from the barrel to the grip section, and the correspondingly larger diameter cap. I know that step can bother some people, so this is an alternative design that makes sense.

It also seems like a good alternative to the Lamy 2000. I had some quibbles with my Lamy's grip (skinny and didn't feel secure), its pocket clip (rough-edged and didn't have enough clearance) and its ink window (tiny and foggy). It looks like you've come up with something that has a similar profile, color and texture, but without the annoying quirks.

I love my own Morgan bulb-filler, by the way! Brian Gray is a wizard.

#6 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 23:50

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#7 Aslan

Aslan

"We're all mad here."

• Member - Gold

• 1,204 posts
  • Location:southeast of Rome, southwest of Athens, north of Cairo, and "ITP"

Posted 03 January 2013 - 00:28

Luv it! Posted Image
John

#8 Mafia Geek

Mafia Geek

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:58

At first glance I thought it was a Morgan. The big difference appears to be the lack of a step down from the barrel to the grip section, and the correspondingly larger diameter cap. I know that step can bother some people, so this is an alternative design that makes sense.

It also seems like a good alternative to the Lamy 2000. I had some quibbles with my Lamy's grip (skinny and didn't feel secure), its pocket clip (rough-edged and didn't have enough clearance) and its ink window (tiny and foggy). It looks like you've come up with something that has a similar profile, color and texture, but without the annoying quirks.

I love my own Morgan bulb-filler, by the way! Brian Gray is a wizard.

It's actually the Herald with some modifications. I was actually going for an improved Lamy 2000 to fix some of those exact problems I had with the pen, I also wanted a larger ink capacity. I did consider the Pearl but I didn't want the step between the body and the section so went with the Herald with some customizations.

#9 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:01

Both pens, the OP's and Tony's are beautiful. I've developed a thing about bulb-fillers - as Shawn knows!

#10 van

van

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:39

Great to see this... I just got my first Edison (Ebonite Herald Grande via FPN classifieds) and am already looking for a second.

#11 Salerno_AFG

Salerno_AFG

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:48

If you dont mind me asking what was the cost, ballpark?
**************************************************************************************
Whining: (Verb) Presenting a problem without a well thought out solution
**************************************************************************************

#12 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:09

If you dont mind me asking what was the cost, ballpark?

Looking at his website will show you about $350.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#13 Frank C

Frank C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:32

I purchased two Herald Grande Bulb-fillers from Brian last summer. They are beautiful pens and hold about 5 mL. of ink each. I went for the classic feel, look, and smell of ebonite. Once I figure out how to post photos I will do a review. . . .

Dealing with Brian was a pleasure. He is a gentleman and an artist.
"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson "I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel
I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

#14 ildbig

ildbig

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:11

That is really pretty. You have good taste! The tapering is just right.

#15 akustyk

akustyk

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,439 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2013 - 14:42

It's a gorgeous pen. I've had a Premiere for a few months, and it's a lovely pen, but I didn't like the nib. I had a medium steel nib, and there was nothing wrong with it - smooth, good flow, but it was just kind of stiff and not expressive. But the craftsmanship behind the pen is very good, indeed.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

#16 Aslan

Aslan

"We're all mad here."

• Member - Gold

• 1,204 posts
  • Location:southeast of Rome, southwest of Athens, north of Cairo, and "ITP"

Posted 26 January 2013 - 22:12

Dealing with Brian was a pleasure. He is a gentleman and an artist.

+1
John

Sponsored Content

|