Vintage Conway Stewart

Gerd W

Happy New Year!

Hello, I have received a nice vintage Conway Stewart, may be it's a 286? I do suppose it has not been used for a very long time. It's my first lever filler and I do not intend to destroy anything by lack of knowledge. The lever moves approximately one millimeter away from the barrel and I don't want pull harder. Short: In this case I do know really nothing.

I would like to get this pen back in working order. Is there any advice?

Thanks a lot!

Humble english, humble picture, I know... Please excuse.

post-35157-0-89839600-1357145270.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerd W

• mallymal1

• Truffle Finder

• MusinkMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like a 388 to me. It's a very nice pen, and perhaps not the pen to begin learning on. I would suggest sending it to a good repairer.

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

www.goodwriterspensales.com/

Happy New Year, Gerd!

The 286 has just one narrow cap band, while the 55 and the 388 both have cap bands like yours.

Is there an inscription on the barrel? If there is, it should tell you the number. If it is worn away (or missing), then a way for you to tell the difference is to measure the distance between the end of the lever and the end of the barrel. On the 388 the distance should be 2.5 cms, and on the bigger 55, 3cms. Also, the 55 would normally have a 'Duro' nib.

Hope this helps.

Whichever one it is, that is a fine looking Conway Stewart you have. :thumbup:

It looks like a 388 to me. It's a very nice pen, and perhaps not the pen to begin learning on. I would suggest sending it to a good repairer.

Hello 'red52ripple',

thanks a lot for your fast response!I do think you are right, a good repairer would be the best solution.

Depending on where you live, I could quite easily do the repair for you.

Whatever you do, if you feel resistance when you try to lift the lever, do not try to force it, you can quite possibly break the lever, which could be replaced, but it would be more expensive!

Let me know what you would like to do.

Truffle Finder [AKA Henry Simpole!]

Happy New Year, Gerd!

The 286 has just one narrow cap band, while the 55 and the 388 both have cap bands like yours.

Is there an inscription on the barrel? If there is, it should tell you the number. If it is worn away (or missing), then a way for you to tell the difference is to measure the distance between the end of the lever and the end of the barrel. On the 388 the distance should be 2.5 cms, and on the bigger 55, 3cms. Also, the 55 would normally have a 'Duro' nib.

Hope this helps.

Hi mallymal1,

thank you very much for the wishes and your advise! And, you're right, there is an inscription on the barrel, I overlooked this totally ... Taking a loupe it says clearly "Conway Stewart 388 - Made in England". And the distance between the lever and the end of the barrel measures exactly 2,5 cm! The blue marbled finish looks great and reminds a little on my blue marbled modern Duofold. Very nice.

Well, now I have to find someone who is able and willing to reanimate the function at a reasonable price.

Thanks again!

Whatever you do, if you feel resistance when you try to lift the lever, do not try to force it, you can quite possibly break the lever, which could be replaced, but it would be more expensive!

Well?

Any good to you?

Truffle Finder.

Well?

Any good to you?

Truffle Finder.

Hello Truffle Finder,

many thanks for your reply and offering! I will send you a mail.

Happy New Year, Gerd!

Hope this helps.

Hi mallymal1,

thank you very much for the wishes and your advise! And, you're right, there is an inscription on the barrel, I overlooked this totally ... Taking a loupe it says clearly "Conway Stewart 388 - Made in England". And the distance between the lever and the end of the barrel measures exactly 2,5 cm! The blue marbled finish looks great and reminds a little on my blue marbled modern Duofold. Very nice.

Well, now I have to find someone who is able and willing to reanimate the function at a reasonable price.

Thanks again!

Excellent, Gerd! Mystery solved. :thumbup:

You're welcome anytime. Always a pleasure.

Hello mallymal1,

thanks a lot for your kind words and "welcome"! I like the 'Conway Stewart-look' much, both vintage and modern.

Enjoy your nice CS-bunch, so impressive!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, since a few days my pen is back from London and I have to say, 'Truffle Finder' did a very good job! The CS 388 writes like a charme and it is hard to believe, that this fountain pen has been builded far more than half a century ago. It's nice to have it and even more nice to use it!

post-35157-0-50830000-1358609393.jpg

Hello, since a few days my pen is back from London and I have to say, 'Truffle Finder' did a very good job! The CS 388 writes like a charme and it is hard to believe, that this fountain pen has been builded far more than half a century ago. It's nice to have it and even more nice to use it!

That's brilliant, Gerd...and well done Henry!

It's always a pleasure to see a vintage pen restored to working order, especially one as nice as the 388. I'm sure you will put it to good use, Gerd. :thumbup:

Hello, since a few days my pen is back from London and I have to say, 'Truffle Finder' did a very good job!

If Truffle Finder is Henry Simpole...I'll bet he did do a great job. He's...um...famous and legendary.

Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com

That's brilliant, Gerd...and well done Henry!

It's always a pleasure to see a vintage pen restored to working order, especially one as nice as the 388. I'm sure you will put it to good use, Gerd. :thumbup:

Hello Malcolm, thanks!

You are right, it's a pleasure to use a perfect restored pen like this one, to write with and to look at it.

Though I've accumulated a lot of decent fountain pens over a long period, the CS 388 belongs to my favorites now without doubt.

It is so nice and does write fantastic!

Looking at your Conway Stewarts in a previous thread I only have to say - wow, this collection really is stunning! :clap1: Congratulations and enjoy!

Have a nice day!

Hello, since a few days my pen is back from London and I have to say, 'Truffle Finder' did a very good job!

If Truffle Finder is Henry Simpole...I'll bet he did do a great job. He's...um...famous and legendary.

Hi MusinkMan,

thanks for reply! I guess it's no secret - Truffle Finder is Henry Simpole and vice versa... And yes, he is really famous, have you already seen his silver artworks?

After working on my pen this nice old thing writes better than many new ones!

Regards to you :thumbup: -

Gerd.

Hi MusinkMan,

thanks for reply! I guess it's no secret - Truffle Finder is Henry Simpole and vice versa... And yes, he is really famous, have you already seen his silver artworks?

After working on my pen this nice old thing writes better than many new ones!

Regards to you :thumbup: -

Gerd.

I have indeed seen his work. The guy is a genius and an artist. Really cool of him to restore your Conway for you. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet, but this speaks volumes of him...to appear from out of the woodwork to offer you help. Speaks volumes of him.

Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com

Thanks for the compliments! I'm a bit embarrassed!

It was my pleasure to do the repair, it's something that I enjoy doing!

Truffle Finder. :thumbup:

Looking at your Conway Stewarts in a previous thread I only have to say - wow, this collection really is stunning! :clap1: Congratulations and enjoy!

Have a nice day!

Thank you very much, Gerd...and I do spend many enjoyable hours with my collection. :thumbup:

Which pens, apart from the 388, do you have in your collection, Gerd?

Quote mallymal1: Thank you very much, Gerd...and I do spend many enjoyable hours with my collection. :thumbup:

Which pens, apart from the 388, do you have in your collection, Gerd?

Hello Malcolm,

many thanks for your interest! Primarily I do have Parkers, Pelikans, MBs, Lamys and some other brands, too. For every day use I prefer Duofolds, P75s (faves), Pel 400s vintage and modern, some times a Meisterstück and sometimes a Safari. Depends on mood.

I also possess a collection of approximately 30 vintage pens, mostly german like Pelikan, Kaweco, Osmia and so on. Today this collection is almost retired, it's a question of time and the daily users are more important to me because I do write a lot.

I like and use fountain pens since the age of six, exactly since 50 years. Of course I do have my preferences, especially pens with an arrow clip, but the slender and very nice CS 388 jumped between the herd of favorites immediately. Actually I do not need another pen, but in all likelihood this will not remain my single Conway Stewart. Perhaps a 55 and a modern CS, time will show.

Enjoyable hours with your pens :cloud9: and best regards -

Gerd

Hello Malcolm,

many thanks for your interest! Primarily I do have Parkers, Pelikans, MBs, Lamys and some other brands, too. For every day use I prefer Duofolds, P75s (faves), Pel 400s vintage and modern, some times a Meisterstück and sometimes a Safari. Depends on mood.

I also possess a collection of approximately 30 vintage pens, mostly german like Pelikan, Kaweco, Osmia and so on. Today this collection is almost retired, it's a question of time and the daily users are more important to me because I do write a lot.

I like and use fountain pens since the age of six, exactly since 50 years. Of course I do have my preferences, especially pens with an arrow clip, but the slender and very nice CS 388 jumped between the herd of favorites immediately. Actually I do not need another pen, but in all likelihood this will not remain my single Conway Stewart. Perhaps a 55 and a modern CS, time will show.

Enjoyable hours with your pens :cloud9: and best regards -

Gerd

Hello Gerd,

Many apologies for the delay in replying, but sometimes 'life' just get in the way.

This is one of the things I love about the fountain pen. You use all these wonderful pens. Parker Duofolds, Pelikan 400's, Lamy Safari, MB's (and I use all these as well, though apart from the Lamy, they would be vintage)...and then you pick up a pen, which comes from out of nowhere really, and think 'wow, this is great!'. Makes me wonder just how many 'great pens' there are out there?

I haven't tried the P75...maybe I shall look out for one, if I ever have time when I'm not looking for vintage Conway Stewart, that is. :rolleyes:

The 55 would be a different writing experience compared to the 388, as it should carry a stiffer 'Duro' nib, but it is another wonderful pen.

Happy penmanship, Gerd.

:thumbup: