• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• striker27

• meiers

• Pentulant

I can totally understand giving up on the whole thing. It's hard (and sometimes exhausting) to keep after something like this.

Let's hope Costco does the right thing - and let's hope people researching find this thread and check things out carefully.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

A few years back, members of the Gibson Guitar Forum were surprised to see that Costco was selling Gibson guitars. Soon after, Gibson Guitar made it very clear that Costco does not sell Gibson guitars.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I checked out the starwalker rollerball offered at my local Costco here in Winnipeg. The pen is definitely genuine with the serial number in the right place.

By the way, it's very cold here right now

• 1 month later...

Well, here is an interesting follow-up. Tiffany has just sued Costco for selling diamond rings that were labeled as Tiffany, but were not. The Reuters story is here.

You'd have expected them to be a company you could trust.

On one hand though, you would not expect luxury brands to permit their products to be sold in lower quality establishments as it would damage their brand. Therefore you would have to imagine the authenticity of such items should you have seen them in store.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Check underneath of the clip with a loop or magnifier and see if there is any printed letters there(such as Germany) a true star walker should have that clear imprint.

I really did not want to argue with them. I gave up really on the whole thing.

You absolutely did the right thing.

Just take it back to COSTCO, get your money back and WALK AWAY.

Reporting it to Montblanc and fighting with Costco about it being fake are just useless exercises..

I bought my Starwalker BP from Costco and it is genuine, with the warranty stamped by an Italian shop - it was £100 under retail. All the watches I've seen in my local Costco are real as well. I think I would go with the switch theory - Costco's returns procedure does leave itself open to abuse.

I can understand MB boutiques not servicing grey imports, but warranty claims would have to be honoured AFAIK under law - at least in the UK. Ultimately MB in Germany would deal with any claims though.

Check underneath of the clip with a loop or magnifier and see if there is any printed letters there(such as Germany) a true star walker should have that clear imprint.

Unfortunately, so do the fake Starwalkers

Unfortunately, so do the fake Starwalkers

WSJ reported the other day that Tiffany is suing Costco for selling fake diamond rings... Just in case there's any doubt that Costco may sell some fake merchandise in their warehouses.

• 11 months later...

Costco has been known to sell counterfeits, not out of any malignancy, just them looking for a good deal and sometimes fall prey to the counterfeiters.

• 3 weeks later...

Next time I'm in Costco I'll make sure to check in the pen section!

With all the knowledge I fond here I'll be better equipped to check for an eventual fake.

If one ( or more) dude managed to swap a fake it can happen again and in any country

Of course. The information has been covered on how to easily determine a genuine Montblanc. I would say that kind of precaution is necessary to defend yourself against any possible situation from sitting in a restaurant where you should inquire what you are eating to solar panelling which I'm buying from Canada to reading labels intelligently at supermarkets to even Montblanc pens.

Companies have been tucking in stagnant, bleached, enriched white flour under a sprinkle of whole grain for years just to label it a "Whole Grain Bread." Swapping is a part of the anesthesia that is pulled over all our conscious awareness.