I Cannot Be The Only One Who Isnt Drinking The Twsbi Coolaid.

brewsky

I love my 540. Great pen. To each his own.

Do you really think that anyone who really likes something you don't like is acting like a member of a "cult"?

Here we go... Pass the popcorn...

[edit]

Full disclosure: I own a half-dozen TWSBI pens, and just ordered a Mini

[/edit]

Edited by lsmith42
MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• AltecGreen

• brewsky

• JonSzanto

I stick with fountain pens made in the USA, Japan, and Germany. Simply put, I will not buy a pen made in Taiwan, no matter how reasonably priced. There are plenty of choices in budget priced pens that meet my "made in" criteria.

How sad for you.

Indeed. S.T. Dupont, Oldwin, Waterman, Parker, Onoto, Conway Stewart, Conid, Aurora, Visconti, Stipula, Caran d'Ache...

Getting into politics or not getting into politics, Taiwan and China are two very different places. I'm quicker to buy products from Taiwan. The country is different, and the quality is usually a lot higher. If I remember correctly, labor in Taiwan costs about the same as labor in the US. They don't pay people peanuts.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I honestly don't get all the hype. I own a diamond 530 and the pen is mediocre at best. The build is okay for the price but overtime I screw onthe cap it feels like cheap plastic that is going to snap if I turn it too far. Don't even get me started on the nib.. I can't even call it that. Like the title asks I cannot be the only person on here who rolls their eyes eveytime a new twsbi topic gets posted. Its like joining a cult, everyone thinks they are awesome because everyone else does. You won't catch me wasting anymore money on that brand.

I don't think TWSBIs are awesome because someone else does, I think they're great pens from personal experience.

Perhaps you'd like to fill us in on what you are expecting from a $50 pen? Or better yet, name a pen that's equal in value at the same price point?

<soapbox>

WARNING: this is a rant

Just as an aside, I keep seeing that statement (about the $50 pen) in many areas. It irks me to no end. Ya know what EVERYONE expects from a $50 pen? For it to work flawlessly and be a pleasure to use. Unless, of course, there are people out there that think making a PEN is so unimaginable difficult that it requires vast sums of money and secret knowledge to do it the right way. A Platinum Preppy is like what, $3? So that means people should be grateful that it writes and acts like a fountain pen should? <grumble> It may be a reality in this world that often quality is determined by what something costs, but when someone invariably whips out that line out for EVERY argument involving a lower cost pen not meeting someones (realistically or unrealistically) high expectations, it smacks of nothing more than ignorant elitist snobbery. As a matter of fact, in my experience it's more of a complete (bleep)-shoot as to the quality, if you base your expectations on the price you paid.

</soapbox>

Sorry everyone, back to the regularly scheduled conversation (I definitely don't want to hijack the thread).

EDIT- by no means do I mean to single you out RuffRydas, so please do not take it as such.

Edited by Harlequin

I stick with fountain pens made in the USA, Japan, and Germany. Simply put, I will not buy a pen made in Taiwan, no matter how reasonably priced. There are plenty of choices in budget priced pens that meet my "made in" criteria.

Wow, you are REALLY missing out on some great pens... have you ever tried a Dupont???

I'm sure I am missing some great pens, but I am only one man with a limited amount of funds. :blush: There are plenty of excellent pens out there, made all over the world, and at all price points. But the original poster asked if anyone else is not buying into the Twsbi hype - I simply stated my reasoning as to why I am not "buying" into the hype. In the $50-$100 price range of a Twsbi, I would rather buy a Lamy Safari, or a Pelikan 200, or Sailor Pro Color, or a used vintage pen from the golden age of fountain pens.

I'm sure many on this board have a price point ceiling. I have simply added a secondary filter (price and where made).

Overall, I'm not a fan of their designs, but I think that's because they're trying to go for original design and my preference is for more "established" designs. They want to reimagine fountain pen design for 21st century tastes, and that largely includes industrialized influences. This is evident in the rise of skeletonized watches, "Edison" lightbulbs, and other designs that use transparent materials to display inner mechanisms.

Aesthetically, I agree that clear plastic is a turnoff, but for me that's because I like the classic designs. My humble Pilot 78G is a more satisfying pen to clip into my pocket than my Lamy Safari. But for the price, TWSBI pens seem to be good value for money, as others have pointed out. While I think that's more of a utilitarian POV than I generally live by, I'll concede that the smoke grey Vac700 is the one TWSBI pen that's managed to pique my interest. I have yet to try a TWSBI, so the Vac700 may be the one that settles my opinion of the company.

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

I love my 540. Great pen. To each his own.

Do you really think that anyone who really likes something you don't like is acting like a member of a "cult"?

Here we go... Pass the popcorn...

[edit]

Full disclosure: I own a half-dozen TWSBI pens, and just ordered a Mini

[/edit]

I'll pass on the popcorn. I'm eating dried squid.

Full disclosure, I don't own a TWSBI although I have written with quite a few.

Loren, didn't we have this conversation last night or was it Sunday?

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

I have a few multi hundred dollar pens (MB Limited editions, Danitrio, Pilot Urush, Visconti and others) and I have one TWSBi 540. The TWSBI is a great pen with a good big nib and I am perfectly content. There are lemons for every brand and I am sorry you got a bad one,

Nope-----I am not drinking the Kool aid. I got a lot heavier stuff. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

<soapbox>

WARNING: this is a rant

Just as an aside, I keep seeing that statement (about the $50 pen) in many areas. It irks me to no end. Ya know what EVERYONE expects from a $50 pen? For it to work flawlessly and be a pleasure to use. Unless, of course, there are people out there that think making a PEN is so unimaginable difficult that it requires vast sums of money and secret knowledge to do it the right way. A Platinum Preppy is like what, $3? So that means people should be grateful that it writes and acts like a fountain pen should? <grumble> It may be a reality in this world that often quality is determined by what something costs, but when someone invariably whips out that line out for EVERY argument involving a lower cost pen not meeting someones (realistically or unrealistically) high expectations, it smacks of nothing more than ignorant elitist snobbery. As a matter of fact, in my experience it's more of a complete (bleep)-shoot as to the quality, if you base your expectations on the price you paid.

</soapbox>

Sorry everyone, back to the regularly scheduled conversation (I definitely don't want to hijack the thread).

EDIT- by no means do I mean to single you out RuffRydas, so please do not take it as such.

No offence taken Harlequin. For $50 I expect a good quality cartridge/converter pen with a stainless steel nib that writes well. The point I'm trying to make is that relatively, TWSBI's are great value at $50 and to realistically expect much more is... well, unrealistic...

If the OP thinks the build quality and materials used in the pen is "mediocre" then what's his/her expectation of good value at $50?

There's no point in discussing nibs as they are, like you said, a (bleep)-shoot if directly from the manufacturer, I've read about bad nib experiences from luxury brands (Pelikan, MontBlanc) right down to cheaper Chinese brands.

I have 5 of them in rotation, and each one is a gem. Solid, smooth, wet nib, huge ink supply, and with a very clear ink window. I expected a TWSBI to be a piece of junk. I was very nicely surprised.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Other than not liking their termites, I have no issues with Taiwan.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I'm not too find of the 530/540 eve though I have a couple—I prefer pens that post well and they don't but other that that they've been fine. I really like my TWSBI mini, fantastic nib, great piston action and looks beautiful too in the black/clear classic livery. I also picked up one of their Precision mechanical pencils and I must say I like that a lot better than my old Rotring 600, I'll likely soon get a matching ballpoint and I also have my eye on a Micarta I find C/C pens often more practical and would love to see a fountain pen to match the Precision pencil an ballpoint, a 2mm lead holder would be nice too. It is also refreshing to see someone trying to establish a new brand in the writing instruments market instead of buying up the IP rights to heritage brands and marketing updated classics.

Everyone likes different pens. Lots of people love the Lamy 200. I have had a few and they just were not for me. That does not mean they are bad or people are stupid followers for liking them. People just get into whatever works for them, whatever feels good in their hand, and whatever writes well for them. Quit sneering at other people and enjoy what you have.

Edited by John Cullen

Simply put, I will not buy a pen made in Taiwan, no matter how reasonably priced.

Why not (I'm curious)?

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

As a newbie 2 years ago, I bought TWSBI because I could change nibs myself, take it apart myself and it looked cool. I have a bunch of pens but they are my everyday writers.

That said, my 530's caps and piston weren't as smooth as my 540's and the mini was smooth and clean all around from day one. Why this matters to me is they are a company that keeps striving to put out a better product, not a "new and improved xxxx" that is identical (good and bad) to the last one, just in a new color. They will continue to get my business as long as they keep improving.

My understanding is the 580 will be a 540 style with the improvements first seen in the Mini. If that's true, I'll be there.

TWSBI 530/540/580/Mini, Montblanc 146, Pelikan M800, Tomoe River paper, Noodlers inks ... "these are a few of my favorite things"

I have to admit, I kind of agree.

For full disclosure, I do not have a TWSBI, I looked at them, and at the cost, and ask is a plastic pen really worth that?

Now, I understand most pens are only "Plastic" (Mont Blanc, Pelikan, Conway Stewart), but these pens seem to have an air of Quality control.

TWSBI, it would seem, have a lacking QC on its pens, and while they have been quick and easy to fix issues, should they really be having these issues in the first place?

Assuming since, it seems to a be a relatively new company, these issues will not feature in future pens, then I am sure their reputation will grow immensely.

Maybe people who own lots of expensive pens think that a £40/$50 is nothing but as someone, who has just over a dozen pens, none of which cost any more that £10/$15(and most a LOT less), when I am asked what do I expect from a pen at £40/$50?

The answer is quite a lot.

I only have one piston filler (Reform 1745), which cost £10/$15 and it is a great pen. fine, smooth nib, decent capacity for ink. And a quarter of the price of a TWSBI.

The rest are converter pens, which since I work from home, is not an issue, as I am never away from my ink.

Some of the pens are of a very high standard. Baoer 388 (5 for £17/$22) really is worth a lot more, great nib, sturdy all metal pen. Hero 385 (£7/$10) is another all metal pen, fine smooth nib, and seems as solid as a brick.

So, in conclusion, I am not dissing the TWSBI, just stating that peoples expectations are different.

One man's Coolaid is another man's fine wine.....but One mans cheap pen, is another's most expensive..

Ren

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Wow, you are REALLY missing out on some great pens... have you ever tried a Dupont???

I don't think it is proper to mention Dupont in a thread about Twsbi.

Your life really starts when you buy your first Dupont fountain pen; so stop aimlessly wandering through life and buy a Dupont!

Paralyzed US Army Paratrooper - All The Way!

I honestly don't get all the hype. ...<snip>. It's like joining a cult, everyone thinks they are awesome because everyone else does. You won't catch me wasting anymore money on that brand.

Clearly you are frustrated with the experience you've had with the pen. Fine -- everyone has ranted about pens that disappointed us in one way or another.

Being rude and insulting to the people on FPN who DO like them, however, seems to be rather uncalled-for.

Just saying...

(I'm not in either camp, BTW, as I've never used a TWSBI...I've been a Sheaffer gal since fifth grade, 40 years ago.)

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

I don't know where the OP got the impression that liking TWSBI pens amounted to blind obedience. All of the comments I have read were from people who owned them and either did or did not like them.

This figure of speech referring to the Jim Jones massacre has become extremely popular as a put-down on one of the cable channels in the USA.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I only have one TWSBI - a 540. But, I will get another.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

I had absolutely no inclination to get a TWSBI. They're just not that interesting to me. But I can see why other people like them. I did ask for and receive a Micarta for Christmas. It's a fantastic looking and feeling pen that gives you the feeling that it's a tank, but there was a factory fault with the nib that TWSBI has stepped up and is taking care of. So my opinion of the pens (other than the Micarta) is about the same, but my opinion of the company's customer service is very high. :thumbup:

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg