Wahl-Eversharp Pen Company Lives!

Wahlnut

Great news! :) Thank you!

I recently discovered Eversharp and now she's my favorite.

When can we hear prehistory revival Eversharp? Someone decided to buy a brand? Buy the brand from portfolio of Parker?

A market research on consumer attitudes to the art-deco style and handles have been or do you rely on your enthusiasm and assumptions?

Anyway - good luck to you!

And if you need help or support to the development of the site - please contact me! ;)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wahlnut

• Harlequin

• Drone

• johntdavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nicely put and thanks. Please see comments below to you wish list in bold:

I wish them the best of luck! Let's hope they get it right.

Here's what I don't want to see:

1. Chinese made knock-offs with poor materials that don't last and feel cheap.

The pens are/will be made in Italy, and the USA. Molds and tooling are Swiss

2. Plain old stiff-as-nail nibs.

Nibs are hard to find with only 1 maker of capacity today that are not as you describe, but some pens in the Technic Collection will have ceramic nibs, and more nib variations will follow after launch and be interchangeable by the owner.

3. Gold nib options that nearly double the price of the pen.

Our 18 K nib options will add about 30% to the cost of the pen

4. Only F,M, and B nib options. Please, at least add a stub.

Coming soon

5. Pens you can't service yourself. They should come apart with ease for cleaning and maintenance.

Simple self service (flushing and ultrasound) will be possible. For more complex servicing, the pens are warranted and quick mail in service and turn around plus a flat reasonable service fee is involved.

6. Proprietary cartridges.

These are universal and converter pens

7. Pens that don't post or don't post properly (e.g. posting to a filler knob is just plain dumb.)

The pens post neatly and securely

8. Pens that are astronomically priced and highly limited in production - that's not what Whal-Eversharp was all about.

Right you are. Pricing ranges from $115 to $350 with the majority nestled in the middle of that range depending on materials and additional manufacturing steps involved

9. And most importantly: Pens that you cannot easily buy because production and supply are totally mismanaged. Cases in-point; TWSBI in-general, the way Noodler's releases pens (the Ebonite Konrad is out, but Goulet says no stable stock for likely two months - grrrr), and the black Conklin Mark Twain Crescent copy-cat (very spotty availability - and just try buying one with an offered stub!)

We have invested in significant anticipatory production to have adequate supply at the ready. If we are very successful even that supply may prove inadequate to satisfy demand, but back-orders should be no more than 30 days. We have a good, live inventory system that tells us exactly what is in stock at any time and re-stock triggers that should help us pace with demand better.

Welcome back W-E, and once again - best of luck...

THANKS! Your input is very important and helpful and while we may not score 100% e are close.

This sounds excellent and the company looks to be well positioned to work in harmony with Parker to take ceramic nibs off their hands and grow the techno niche without degrading a Parker higher end reputation. Italy has some parts and excess production capacity so would be where I would source things like clips, and bodies. The non ceramic nibs I assume will be from Germany but branded with a W-E logo.

Count me in to purchase a new one.....or back channel me if you know how a Canuck gets in on ground level distributions. I may be interested.

As an aside the pens that crossthe 150$ mark should be piston filled. This is my opinion and based on my view that a piston filler projects to me value when twsbi can do it for $60.... unless you are paying in your design and production to ensure quality gold plated nibs on pens so going cheap on the barrel insides.

I strongly......urge you to sell the pens with a pen wrap or leather pouches or as a marketing twist you could boldly include custom pen loops that can be sized to fit the barrel and insert to a users favourite note book or filofax.

I despise these pen cases that are not practical...I need a pen show case but not another standard rayon lined hinged box that looks massive but holds, pen, 1 intl cart and converter plus 7 language product warranty....

How about barrel polish and polishing cloth????

Make yourselves unique....the techno nib line should include a usb key or have a code for your free iphone or playbook ;) app you download... Maybe an app that has script....fonts for handwriting practicing....maybe links users to your product support and fpn chat boards ;)

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Great news! :) Thank you!

I recently discovered Eversharp and now she's my favorite.

When can we hear prehistory revival Eversharp? Someone decided to buy a brand? Buy the brand from portfolio of Parker?

A market research on consumer attitudes to the art-deco style and handles have been or do you rely on your enthusiasm and assumptions?

Anyway - good luck to you!

And if you need help or support to the development of the site - please contact me! ;)

Pre history is being included in the 11 page brochure that accompanies each pen, That's not quite ready for Prime time today. But Parker is not involved as they have no claims to Eversharp or Wahl Eversharp any more, which may surprise some people.

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

This sounds excellent and the company looks to be well positioned to work in harmony with Parker to take ceramic nibs off their hands and grow the techno niche without degrading a Parker higher end reputation. Italy has some parts and excess production capacity so would be where I would source things like clips, and bodies. The non ceramic nibs I assume will be from Germany but branded with a W-E logo.

Count me in to purchase a new one.....or back channel me if you know how a Canuck gets in on ground level distributions. I may be interested.

As an aside the pens that crossthe 150$ mark should be piston filled. This is my opinion and based on my view that a piston filler projects to me value when twsbi can do it for $60.... unless you are paying in your design and production to ensure quality gold plated nibs on pens so going cheap on the barrel insides.

I strongly......urge you to sell the pens with a pen wrap or leather pouches or as a marketing twist you could boldly include custom pen loops that can be sized to fit the barrel and insert to a users favourite note book or filofax.

I despise these pen cases that are not practical...I need a pen show case but not another standard rayon lined hinged box that looks massive but holds, pen, 1 intl cart and converter plus 7 language product warranty....

How about barrel polish and polishing cloth????

Make yourselves unique....the techno nib line should include a usb key or have a code for your free iphone or playbook ;) app you download... Maybe an app that has script....fonts for handwriting practicing....maybe links users to your product support and fpn chat boards ;)

Thanks for your interest and input. I welcome all constructive input. I will take what you suggest into consideration and see what makes economic and marketing sense for us. We are trying to keep these pens as affordable as we can and still cover all the bases, so how many bells and whistles get thrown in can be problematic, yet I like some of the suggestions.

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Very good news, I welcome the addition of WE's hopefully not Conway Stewart/Onoto pricing.

Hope there will be a rebirth of Doric/Flattops and adjustable #7 nibs. Bexley also made similar pens from the past, I wonder how will the new models differentiate from Bexley.

When will the site be online so we can browse the catalog? :)

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Syd,

The suggestions have to make sense to your bottom line...understood. Be sure to put me on your email list....MAGUIREB@ROGERS.COM for product marketing.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Another Lamy Safari? Great, a plastic boring pen with a cap that looses its snap in about a year, stay away please! Congrats in your adventure and best of luck, +1 on the app ideas.

Syd - In my opinion you are going to hit a home run. Those two examples are winners; providing they write half as good as they look.

Granted, I only have seven pens but good lord willing and the creek don't rise, I will be "standing in line" to purchase one of your pens.

Can't wait and good luck!

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

What would the pens of EVERSHARP have looked like had the company not fallen on hard economic times in the late '40s and '50's and been sold to Parker and continued in production as a top quality pen company? What new materials, nibs and designs would have been made over the past 60 years? These and other questions will be answered soon! Stay tuned.

Syd

How refreshing. We had a fellow visiting the USA from India and he was writing with a Reynolds ballpoint..I was fascinated telling him I thought Reynolds went out of business long ago. While not a fountain point user even I have heard of Wahl Eversharp.

Questions abound;

a.) These will be manufactured in the USA?

b.) It sounds like it will be all fountain pens? Rollerballs or ballpoint?

How refreshing. We had a fellow visiting the USA from India and he was writing with a Reynolds ballpoint..I was fascinated telling him I thought Reynolds went out of business long ago. While not a fountain point user even I have heard of Wahl Eversharp.

Questions abound;

a.) These will be manufactured in the USA?

b.) It sounds like it will be all fountain pens? Rollerballs or ballpoint?

Hey that would be cool, a Skyline ballpoint or (better yet) roller-ball to accompany the fountain pen. A roller-ball might be easier to manufacture as typically they're capped like a fountain pen instead of push or twist actuated.

Reynolds pen exists. Here's their Web site:

http://www.reynolds-india.com/reynolds/

The "Shop" button on the Reynolds site doesn't work. As far as I can see, they only make one fountain pen, the "Ink Pen" with a silver plated nib. The Ink Pen seems to be an eyedropper filler.

There is an Indian fountain pen vendor that may carry some Reynolds pens - they carry other Indian fountain pen manufacturers. Have a look:

http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/home.html

Edited by Drone

This is very interesting indeed. My wishes:

Vintage sections are typically too narrow for me (and I have fairly small hands) , hope they run larger, more like the oversize pens of old.

Can you you come up with a modern equivalent of the old celluloids like Morocco, something marbled with depth and intrigue? Acrylic maybe?

I don't care much about a fancy box, no need to add expense there, it will just get put away and out of sight anyway.

Vintage flex would be way cool.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

This is very interesting indeed. My wishes:

Vintage sections are typically too narrow for me (and I have fairly small hands) , hope they run larger, more like the oversize pens of old.

Can you you come up with a modern equivalent of the old celluloids like Morocco, something marbled with depth and intrigue? Acrylic maybe?

I don't care much about a fancy box, no need to add expense there, it will just get put away and out of sight anyway.

Vintage flex would be way cool.

Dan

Definitely +1 on the box observation. Once the pen gets here, I never really look at the box again- I suspect most FP people probably use a case or wrap or something. I don't know that for sure mind you, it's just a hunch I have- it' so much easier than keeping every pen box that the pens came in.

+1 on the box.

previously mentioned they would be made in USA and Italy with Swiss tooling.

This is amazing Syd :D Can't wait to see the line reveal. It's always nice to see such venerable brands not simply lie in the waste basket and get a refresh.

Will this company be a subsidiary of another one (as you know, while brands are of importance, their success depends on the company that is behind it)? Or a wholly independant manufacturer altogether?

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

Syd, do you plan to make the doric available again with the plunger fill in its oversize size alongwith an adjustable nib? If yes count me in as a potential customer. Also will the Wahl Eversharp pens be sold in France? If you count to sell the brand in France, then you can count on the expertise of the Mora penshop. Mr Mora will be at the penshow. Here is his mail in case you want to get in touch with him morastylos@wanadoo.fr . He is also a big fan of Wahls and will be pleased to hear about your project.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Adjustable nib!

+1 on box. Save the money, they're just clutter and I WILL toss them. (Unless you are VERY clever and figure a way to make a box/container that after presentation can turn into a storage box for ay 3-4 pens. But seriously, save the material and cost.

i think that's what we can call a good news

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Adjustable nib!

+1 on box. Save the money, they're just clutter and I WILL toss them. (Unless you are VERY clever and figure a way to make a box/container that after presentation can turn into a storage box for ay 3-4 pens. But seriously, save the material and cost.

That will be TWSBI's approach. Their new packaging (box) is designed to carry 3-4 pens in it so it will have some utility after the initial purchase. I believe it will be introduced with the new 580 and 850 line?

Soooo..... +1 box

**************************************************************************************

Whining: (Verb) Presenting a problem without a well thought out solution

**************************************************************************************

While I find Wahl pens interesting,I'm one of those that would want

a nice box to go with the pen. If for any reason I would have to sell

my Wahl pen,I would want the box and paper work that would go

with it. There is a use for them--they're made to display the pen.

But to each their own...........

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.